ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Free childcare - Visa Tier 2

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

williamrezendex0906
Newly Registered

Free childcare - Visa Tier 2

Post by williamrezendex0906 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi,

I`m from Brazil, and I`m living in UK since November with Tier 2 General visa.

I would like to know if I can request 15h free childcare for my baby when she complete 3 years old or if as an immigrant I cannot request it.

http://www2.eastriding.gov.uk/living/ch ... -childcare

Our visa card says NO PUBLIC FOUNDS for all of us.

Thanks a a lot,

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Free childcare - Visa Tier 2

Post by iworker » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:33 pm

You can claim for childcare.. they are not classed as benefit.
the 15 hours are increasing to 30 hours from this september, if u live in england.

Echoes
United Kingdom

Post by Echoes » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:00 pm

Above advice is incorrect.

You do not qualify for free child care if you are a non-EEA national with no recourse to public funds.

Gnanasekar
United Kingdom

Post by Gnanasekar » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:40 pm

williamrezendex0906 wrote:Hi,

I`m from Brazil, and I`m living in UK since November with Tier 2 General visa.

I would like to know if I can request 15h free childcare for my baby when she complete 3 years old or if as an immigrant I cannot request it.

Our visa card says NO PUBLIC FOUNDS for all of us.

Thanks a a lot,
You can get 15 hours free child care. You will have to speak to the nursery/school where you are planning to place your child.

You are also eligible for childcare voucher which your employer should provide to you. This is changing soon to be tax free childcare and more details here childcarechoices.gov.uk

You cannot claim 30 hours free child care as there are number of restrictions which are again here childcarechoices.gov.uk

Hope this helps

gag285
Member of Standing
India

Post by gag285 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Gnanasekar wrote:You cannot claim 30 hours free child care as there are number of restrictions which are again here childcarechoices.gov.uk
Why do you think one cannot claim 30 hours on the basis of their leave? From the link, the restriction seems to be that both parents need to be working if it's not a single parent situation and each earning more than £120 p/w but less than £100k p.a. Am I missing something?

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:00 am

after all it is an open forum and anyone can say what they want. they dont have to be correct.

Gnanasekar
United Kingdom

Post by Gnanasekar » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:48 am

gag285 wrote:
Gnanasekar wrote:You cannot claim 30 hours free child care as there are number of restrictions which are again here childcarechoices.gov.uk
Why do you think one cannot claim 30 hours on the basis of their leave? From the link, the restriction seems to be that both parents need to be working if it's not a single parent situation and each earning more than £120 p/w but less than £100k p.a. Am I missing something?
@gag285 - Let me draw your attention to the government document here https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ldcare.pdf

The last bullet point in first section says "If one or both parents is a non-EEA national, the parent applying must have recourse to public funds" and if you read it in conjunction with OP you will see "Our visa card says NO PUBLIC FOUNDS for all of us."
iworker wrote:after all it is an open forum and anyone can say what they want. they dont have to be correct.
I agree that not everyone is correct but when there are facts listed it is advisable to do one's own scrutiny.

gag285
Member of Standing
India

Post by gag285 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Thank you @Gnanasekar. I read this link:

and hence doubted the interpretation. We pay for our daughter's childcare and were hoping to cut some costs after she turns 3. Wishful thinking!

Gnanasekar
United Kingdom

Post by Gnanasekar » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:29 pm

gag285 wrote:Thank you @Gnanasekar. I read this link:

and hence doubted the interpretation. We pay for our daughter's childcare and were hoping to cut some costs after she turns 3. Wishful thinking!
If this doesn't work in your favor you should check the tax free childcare option which I presume is open to all irrespective of immigration status.