ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US citizen born to Irish parents but adopted at birth

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ekmm6521
Newly Registered

US citizen born to Irish parents but adopted at birth

Post by ekmm6521 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:21 am

I'm looking to obtain my Irish citizenship, but I'm in a bit of a unique situation, and wanted to get some input...

My situation is unique in that I was born to biological parents that were both Irish citizens, however I was relinquished at birth and adopted by American parents. I'm a US citizen and was born in the US.

At this point in time, I am in contact with both of my biological Irish parents (who currently live in Ireland). However, since I was adopted I do not have a copy of a birth certificate that lists either one of my biological parents. I only have limited paperwork, and my birth parents were both located by a private search.

Give my situation, would I still qualify for Irish citizenship? Do you know if Ireland accepts any alternate methods to prove my relation (i.e., a DNA test)?

Thanks in advance!

JAJ
Australia

Re: US citizen born to Irish parents but adopted at birth

Post by JAJ » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:09 pm

In principle- being adopted out to non-Irish parents does not cause a loss of Irish citizenship. However, the link to the parents needs to be evidenced and while I would not claim that DNA evidence would not be acceptable (it could come to a decision for the Irish courts) it would be a lot simpler to get hold of your original birth certificate showing your natural parents.

You say you were born in the United States- your first place to look should be your state of birth and/or the state in which the adoption took place.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

ammonite
Newly Registered

Post by ammonite » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:41 pm

Yes you are definitely still eligible. My mother was in the same situation (but born in the UK) and she got her Irish passport without any problem. She is fortunate though that she still has the original court documents for the adoption which has both her birth name and adoptive name on it, so it was easy to show she is the same person as on the original birth certificate.

aidanc
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by aidanc » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:02 pm

And were you able to get your passport, even though your mother was adopted? Or did she have her adoption registered / recognized PRIOR to your birth?

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:03 am

From the forum FAQs:

“12) I found a previous question just like mine so I added my question to it but noone replied. Why not?
Members are advised to ask their own questions in their own topic rather reviving some aged and out of date topic. Its no good asking members who are no longer around...

According to the original poster’s profile, they haven’t been active here for well over a year.