ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish citizenship from northern ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

New on forum
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Irish citizenship from northern ireland

Post by New on forum » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:04 am

Hi I have a question and hope someone can help.
I am living in Northern Ireland with Irish spouse and I am a non eu.
To apply based on 3 years of marriage with Irish citizen is it a requirement hold a uk visa for entire 3 year period ?
Or for example if I have married for 3 years but didint have a uk visa for first 2 years after marriage but hold a visa for last one year which is valid when applying.? I have proofs of residence for whole 3 years for both of us together and still living together .

JAJ
Australia

Re: Irish citizenship from northern ireland

Post by JAJ » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:55 am

You may wish to contact the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service but as far as I understand, if you did not have a valid U.K. visa for your time in Northern Ireland this does not count for Irish naturalisation purposes. Some U.K. visas (such as student) are normally excluded. Also- there is scope for waiver on certain conditions.
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP16000022
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:15 am

Form 8 (APPLICATION BY A PERSON OF FULL AGE FOR NATURALISATION AS AN IRISH CITIZEN) states:

'Where the residency is in Northern Ireland, evidence must be given of being lawfully resident in that jurisdiction for the period of 1 year immediately prior to the application and a further 2 years in the 4 year period before that, equalling 3 years in total, on foot of a permission granted by the immigration authorities of the United Kingdom, which period was granted other than for a period of :
- enabling you to engage in a course of education of study; or
- having a claim to be recognised as a refugee within the meaning of the 1951 Geneva Convention relating to the status of refugees and the 1967 protocol relating to the status of refugees determined by the UK authorities.'

How were you present in the UK for that period? Do you not need a visa? What citizenship do you hold?

You could email them on: citizenshipinfo@justice.ie with your specific circumstances. They always reply.

New on forum
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by New on forum » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:21 pm

chaoclive wrote:Form 8 (APPLICATION BY A PERSON OF FULL AGE FOR NATURALISATION AS AN IRISH CITIZEN) states:

'Where the residency is in Northern Ireland, evidence must be given of being lawfully resident in that jurisdiction for the period of 1 year immediately prior to the application and a further 2 years in the 4 year period before that, equalling 3 years in total, on foot of a permission granted by the immigration authorities of the United Kingdom, which period was granted other than for a period of :
- having a claim to be recognised as a refugee within the meaning of the 1951 Geneva Convention relating to the status of refugees and the 1967 protocol relating to the status of refugees determined by the UK authorities.'

How were you present in the UK for that period? Do you not need a visa? What citizenship do you hold?

You could email them on: citizenshipinfo@justice.ie with your specific circumstances. They always reply.
Thanks for your reply.
I think you are right under the spouse category 3 years should be lawfully residence where I don't hold a visa for entire 3 years.
What about applying based on Irish association my 2 children are Irish by birth as well as the spouse.
I am the primary carer for kids.
I am not sure about the definition of Irish association and whether it applies from Northern Ireland ?

crisbella218
China

Post by crisbella218 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:31 pm

New on forum wrote:
chaoclive wrote:Form 8 (APPLICATION BY A PERSON OF FULL AGE FOR NATURALISATION AS AN IRISH CITIZEN) states:

Thanks for your reply.
I think you are right under the spouse category 3 years should be lawfully residence where I don't hold a visa for entire 3 years.
What about applying based on Irish association my 2 children are Irish by birth as well as the spouse.
I am not sure about the definition of Irish association and whether it applies from Northern Ireland ?
Irish citizenship by association is mainly related to having a grandparent who was Irish and claiming citizenship from your family tree. As you are non EU I highly doubt that is the case.

You will need to live in NI for 3 years with a valid UK visa. So in your case you need 2 years more.

New on forum
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by New on forum » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:42 pm

crisbella218 wrote:
New on forum wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
Irish citizenship by association is mainly related to having a grandparent who was Irish and claiming citizenship from your family tree. As you are non EU I highly doubt that is the case.

You will need to live in NI for 3 years with a valid UK visa. So in your case you need 2 years more.

Hi I wrote to to the email address you provided and received following reply.

Dear Amir,

Based on the information that you have submitted you would be entitled to
apply for citizenship as spouse of an Irish Citizen.

Naturalisation of spouse or civil partner of Irish citizens
If your application is based on marriage to or being the civil partner of
an Irish citizen, you must:

· Have been married to, or in a civil partnership with an Irish citizen
for a minimum of 3 years
· Have been (and are now) living together in an ongoing marriage/civil
partnership of not less than 3 years
· Be of full age (i.e. eighteen years or older, or married if younger
than eighteen), when you apply
· Be of good character.
· Have had immediately before the date of the application a period of
one year’s continuous residence in the island of Ireland, and
· Have had, during the 4 years immediately preceding that period, a
total residence in the island of Ireland amounting to 2 years.
· Intend in good faith to continue to reside in the island of Ireland
after naturalisation and
· Make a declaration of fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State

Regards

[Name of public servant] - removed by moderator.
Citizenship Division