ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA family permit for south african irish passport holder

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ScaredSh*tless
Newly Registered

EEA family permit for south african irish passport holder

Post by ScaredSh*tless » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi,

I am in the process of getting my Irish passport. My father has been living in the UK since 1883 on his irish passport.

1. Can i apply for a EEA family permit for my husband and 2 kids on my irish passport even though i live in South Africa?
2. What is needed for the application? (we have been married for 14 years and 2 children 11 years apart - 14 and 3)
3. We are planning on being self employed in the UK, when we arrive and when we apply for the permit is there a certain amount of money that is needed?
4. Any the obvious one, we will obviously fill the requirements to stay, even if it means becoming employed, with BREXIT looming what is our time frame before the application process gets cut off? If it does become cut off?

Thank you for taking the time to read and thanks for any advice that may be forthcoming

Have a good day :D

MrSlyFox

Re: EEA family permit for south african irish passport holde

Post by MrSlyFox » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:09 pm

ScaredSh*tless wrote:My father has been living in the UK since 1883

He must pretty remarkable as Ireland didn't exist as a state in 1883 :lol:
ScaredSh*tless wrote: 1. Can i apply for a EEA family permit for my husband and 2 kids on my irish passport even though i live in South Africa?
Yes, suggest you read here - https://www.gov.uk/family-permit
However, why not get your children births registered on the Irish foreign birth register and get them Irish passports. Providing you were already Irish prior to their birth by registration or your father was born in Ireland.
ScaredSh*tless wrote: 2. What is needed for the application? (we have been married for 14 years and 2 children 11 years apart - 14 and 3)
Proof of relationships i.e. marriage (marriage certificate), Proof of birth (birth certificates), proof of identity (i.e. passports for everyone including the EEA sponsor) see the required documents for the family permit application
ScaredSh*tless wrote: 3. We are planning on being self employed in the UK, when we arrive and when we apply for the permit is there a certain amount of money that is needed?
Read page 17 for self-employed persons - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 4_0EXT.pdf
ScaredSh*tless wrote: 4. Any the obvious one, we will obviously fill the requirements to stay, even if it means becoming employed, with BREXIT looming what is our time frame before the application process gets cut off? If it does become cut off?
TBD, I suggest you just keep up-to-date with the new as nobody knows currently however free movement should continue until the UK formally leaves the EU (but if those who came after a certain date have the same rights as those already in the UK is also yet to be seen).

As an Irish citizen, you will be considered settled in the UK upon arrival so you could also apply for a spouse visa under the UK rules for your husband (there is an 18,600 GBP income requirement for you howvever so maybe keep this as a backup in case the EEA family permits are unsuccessful or Brexit doesn't look good for you)

Or if you have a grandparent born in Ireland prior to 1922 (i.e. when Ireland was still part of the UK), you could apply for an ancestry visa - https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa

Goodluck