ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fast Track process - some advice

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

NickR
Newly Registered

Fast Track process - some advice

Post by NickR » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi everyone

I am after some advice please

Situation

My wife an step daughter are applying for a visa to join me here in the UK, they will have their biometrics done on Thursday

I have all the supporting document originals here in Leeds

What is the quickest way to get the process moving, their application prioritised and their passports returned?

If this can be done I wondered if this would work:-

Pay for priority service via VFS in LA (https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/usa/user_pa ... sa-service)

"You should mail your settlement application to Sheffield in the UK. The only exception to this is Settlement: Returning Resident which should be sent to New York. You must write ‘Settlement Priority Service’ in very large letters on the front and back of the outermost envelope of your visa application. This means the exterior UPS envelope. Please note that failure to follow this direction may result in your application not being identified and handled as priority. In addition, please ensure that you place your settlement priority service purchase receipt on top of your application documents inside your envelope."

Can they send me their forms UPS and I submit them, with the support documents (photocopied) to Sheffield - I can hand deliver them?

How then do they get their passports back in double quick time?

or is there a way I can access the fast track system from this end. Everything online suggests that only applies to applications from the UK - but if VFS can access it why can't I?

Thanks, all help greatly appreciated.

SimonS

Re: Fast Track process - some advice

Post by SimonS » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:04 pm

There are a couple of posts on here from others who applied in the US

immigration-for-family-members/usa-to-u ... l#p1493385

My understanding is that your wife must apply online using the Visa4UK portal. It's normally during this part of the process that you make the biometrics appointment. Has this stage (omline application) already been done?

Once you've paid the IHS charge and Visa fees online etc You get the option to set up an account with VFS. It is in there that you can pay for additional priority services and add it to your application, it will be £551 each for your daughter and wife. You should print the receipt as advised in the information you have.

You can only pay for priority prior to the Biometrics. Once biometrics are completed, you lose the option.

Some have suggested that for an extra fee the applicant can retain their passport throughout most of the process. I am not aware of this but that does not necessarily mean it isn't true. Ask VFS.

You can submit all the supporting documents to Sheffield on her behalf from within the UK. This is what I did for my wife. You can't hand deliver them. I used Royal Mail Special Delivery with extra round trip envelope for return of documents to me in the UK, cost about £37 and they were delivered next day at 7:30 am with signature.

Remember if you want all of the originals returned you need to submit copies of everything too. I believe they may keep some original photo's, the bank statements and letters from company anyway for the file.

Your wife should print and sign copies of the application form, priority receipt and send to you in the UK to go with the documents you submit to Sheffield. A signed cover letter from her is not mandatory but is useful.

As to processing time, non-priority applications seem to be taking between 60 and 90 working days on average to process. Priority applications would apppear to be taking between 40 and 45 working days to process on average.

In my own case, my wife applied priority on 19th April from Russia with Biometrics on 21st April. Documents arrived Sheffield 5th May. Today is 39 working days since Biometrics and we've had no decision, no documents returned and no useful update when I've tried the paid update services.

A word of caution, I naively put my faith in getting a decision in 15 working days and as sponsor submitted my original passport. This is not necessary as you can submit legalised copies of the pages. In hindsight, I would strongly recommend this course.

Hope this is helpful.

Good luck
Simon
I'm not an expert and only answer from my personal experience and understanding of the rules. Spouse Settlement Visa Granted for my wife July 2017. You should not take my advice as absolute.

NickR
Newly Registered

Post by NickR » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Thanks Simon

That is helpful and alarming all at the same time and I am sorry to hear your application is going so slowly.

The online application is done, the fees are paid. I have all the documents here ready to go and will make copies. There are two applicants (my wife and step daughter) so I guess two photocopies of everything must go. I can get them to Sheffield as you suggest by next day delivery. DO you have any suggestions for a covering letter?
SimonS wrote:There are a couple of posts on here from others who applied in the US

immigration-for-family-members/usa-to-u ... l#p1493385

My understanding is that your wife must apply online using the Visa4UK portal. It's normally during this part of the process that you make the biometrics appointment. Has this stage (omline application) already been done?

Once you've paid the IHS charge and Visa fees online etc You get the option to set up an account with VFS. It is in there that you can pay for additional priority services and add it to your application, it will be £551 each for your daughter and wife. You should print the receipt as advised in the information you have.

You can only pay for priority prior to the Biometrics. Once biometrics are completed, you lose the option.

Some have suggested that for an extra fee the applicant can retain their passport throughout most of the process. I am not aware of this but that does not necessarily mean it isn't true. Ask VFS.

You can submit all the supporting documents to Sheffield on her behalf from within the UK. This is what I did for my wife. You can't hand deliver them. I used Royal Mail Special Delivery with extra round trip envelope for return of documents to me in the UK, cost about £37 and they were delivered next day at 7:30 am with signature.

Remember if you want all of the originals returned you need to submit copies of everything too. I believe they may keep some original photo's, the bank statements and letters from company anyway for the file.

Your wife should print and sign copies of the application form, priority receipt and send to you in the UK to go with the documents you submit to Sheffield. A signed cover letter from her is not mandatory but is useful.

As to processing time, non-priority applications seem to be taking between 60 and 90 working days on average to process. Priority applications would apppear to be taking between 40 and 45 working days to process on average.

In my own case, my wife applied priority on 19th April from Russia with Biometrics on 21st April. Documents arrived Sheffield 5th May. Today is 39 working days since Biometrics and we've had no decision, no documents returned and no useful update when I've tried the paid update services.

A word of caution, I naively put my faith in getting a decision in 15 working days and as sponsor submitted my original passport. This is not necessary as you can submit legalised copies of the pages. In hindsight, I would strongly recommend this course.

Hope this is helpful.

Good luck
Simon

SimonS

Post by SimonS » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi Nick,

there is no right or wrong answer on the covering letter. If you decide to provide it you should just introduce yourself briefly and how you met your wife and mention a couple of improtant points and vice versa for your wifes letter. One that was posted on a thread here and I commented on can be found as follows

immigration-for-family-members/cover-le ... l#p1488105

I submitted one for me and one for my wife. They were almost the same. Don't forget to mention your step-daughter in yours.

Cheers
Simon
I'm not an expert and only answer from my personal experience and understanding of the rules. Spouse Settlement Visa Granted for my wife July 2017. You should not take my advice as absolute.