ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage Visit Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

csimmons9
Newly Registered

Marriage Visit Visa

Post by csimmons9 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi,

I am a British citizen, recently graduated from university and with a job lined up to start in September 2017 that will mean I fulfil the financial requirements to apply for my girlfriend (American) to move to the UK in about March 2018 on the "family of a settled person visa".

The other obvious requirement we would need to fulfil for her to join me in the UK on the "family of a settled person visa" would be to be legally married.

This has brought us to the Marriage Visit Visa. Would it be plausible, legal, etc, for her to come to the UK on a Marriage Visit Visa in September 2017, and then return home afterwards (say hypothetically in February 2018) to apply for the more long-term "Family of a settled person visa"?

The bit I am confused about is that the British Government website for the Marriage Visit Visa states that you are only eligible for this if "you’re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership"?

csimmons9
Newly Registered

Financial Requirements - Marriage Visitor Visa

Post by csimmons9 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:11 pm

Hi,

My girlfriend (American) is looking to join me in the UK on a Marriage Visitor Visa, and we will be living with my family.

When applying for the Marriage Visitor Visa, the government website states that you must provide "proof that you can support yourself during your trip, for example bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months".

This is ridiculously ambiguous, I am a student who has recently secured employment starting in September (£27,000) a year.

Is there a specific figure that we will need to reach in order to be eligible?

Thanks so much.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Marriage Visit Visa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:50 pm

Please keep all your questions in one topic (this one now merged).

There is no income requirement. She will be applying for a visit visa to marry, she must prove her ties to home country. She might have difficulty given that you are in the UK and will be working.

Why not wait till you have 6 months payslips and apply for a fiance visa, which would allow her to switch within the UK to a spouse visa once you marry?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

csimmons9
Newly Registered

Post by csimmons9 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:23 pm

Because we have been doing long distance for the best part of 3 years and it is mentally, physically and financially exhausting.

Might i ask what the point of the Marriage Visitor Visa is if not to allow people to get married before they can reach the financial requirements of a spousal visa?

mb7891

Post by mb7891 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:38 pm

Hi

The below might be useful in explaining.

The UK Marriage Visit visa caters to those individuals who wish to get married or register a civil partnership in the UK with a person who is not settled in the UK. For example, the fiance of a person who has limited leave to remain in the UK (such as a student visa holder or work visa holder). This visa should not be confused with the UK Fiance visa.

As CR001 suggested, it would be easier to apply for Fiance Visa

csimmons9
Newly Registered

Post by csimmons9 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:17 am

mb7891 wrote: The UK Marriage Visit visa caters to those individuals who wish to get married or register a civil partnership in the UK with a person who is not settled in the UK.
That is exactly what we want to do. She is an American who lives in the USA and I am a British Citizen who lives in the U.K.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:06 am

csimmons9 wrote:
mb7891 wrote: The UK Marriage Visit visa caters to those individuals who wish to get married or register a civil partnership in the UK with a person who is not settled in the UK.
That is exactly what we want to do. She is an American who lives in the USA and I am a British Citizen who lives in the U.K.
You are considered "settled" in the UK. The above quote says for those not settled.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.