ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK masters degree - ILR language requirement question

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tier2genmisery

ILR application - help needed for prep

Post by tier2genmisery » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:12 am

Hi everybody

I have been a long time passive member of this forum - But now it is my time apply for ILR and I desperately need some help ! :wink:
I would really appreciate if you reply using question numbers (eg. B2) - Huge thanks !!!

Before jumping to the questions here are the basics-
Appointment - First week of August - Croydon PSC
Entered UK on Tier 2 Gen on 28-08-2012 and I have had 6 consecutive Tier 2 Gen visas ever since and all from different employers :shock: :shock: :shock:
I have only ever left the UK whilst on paid leave or paid garden leave - I have never been absent for 180 days or more in any of the 12 months.
Before my Tier 2 I had a Tier 4 Gen visa as I was doing a masters in the UK (although I was absent from the UK for about a month during summer before re-entering the UK on Tier 2 Gen)

Section A - General Questions
A1) Based on the above I believe I can apply for ILR on 1st August 2017 onwards. Am I correct?

A2) Does anyone have a template for letters from previous employers regarding absences? I have managed to get letters from all of my past employers but they didn't have any templates for this and they all provided the same information in different formats - some with tables for dates some without.. some giving details of all paid leave some only confirming absences from UK only etc. Unfortunately I can't get them all to give me perfectly consistent formats.. Anyone have any past experience on this?

A3) Does anyone have a generic cover letter example/template for ILR application?

A4) I want to make sure I get an answer on the same day at Croydon PSC. What are the main reasons applications usually get deferred? Any advice on what extra I can bring to avoid this?

Section B - Questions about SET O form
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -04-17.pdf

B1) Page 7 - If I book a PEO appointment then do I still need to fill in page 7 (payment details) of the form? what do I do with this if I made the whole payment online for PEO?

B2) Page 15 - which box (boxes) do I tick if I have a masters degree taught in the UK? There are 3 separate boxes next to these and I'm really confused ! I don't have anything from NARIC as my degree is from a well known UK university.

"An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the
recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or
PhD in the United Kingdom and:
˗ UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was
taught or researched in English to the appropriate level;
or
˗ the qualification was taught or researched in the UK
or a majority English speaking country (other than
Canada); OR"

B3) Page 18 - There are 3 boxes next to these items below. I have a yearly salary (let's say £50k per annum) and I know my weekly contractual hours (let's say 35 hours a week). What do I write next to the second box?
Box 1 - Current rate of pay (hourly rate or annual salary)
Box 2 - Number of hours this salary is based on
Box 3 - Number of weekly hours

B4) Page 21 - Question 6.2
I have made a list of all of my absences from the UK. And the list doesn't fit on the form. It says "If you need more space, continue on a separate sheet and enclose it with your application. ".
Do you have a letter template for this?
How do you refer to this letter on your form?
Do you include all holidays on your list or just those that didn't fit on the form?
When you enclose a separate sheet where do you actually put it? Just behind page 21 or somewhere else?

B5) Page 28 - Question 7.13 'How long have you lived in the UK?'
Do I need to count my time on Tier 4 Gen which was basically the year before Tier 2 Gen as well?

B6) Page 28 - Question 7.14 'Please state what social, cultural and family ties you have'
What am I supposed the write here? It is really open ended.My immediate family is in my home country for example..

B7) Page 72 - Question 11.5 - If I have no dependants then do I tick 'None' or do I just skip everything?

B8) Page 87 - Documents checklist page
On this page do I need to tick Other and mention my cover letters as well?

--- Thank you for your help ---

tier2genmisery

Re: ILR application - help needed for prep

Post by tier2genmisery » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:56 pm

100 views and not a single answer :( :cry:

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:06 pm

tier2genmisery wrote:100 views and not a single answer :( :cry:
The majority of members are very put off by posts that are as long as what you have posted. Remember, we offer our time and advice for free, have normal jobs and family so expecting anyone to trawl through an application form online to match your queries is unreasonable given the level and length of questions you have asked.

Have you read the Set(O) guidance notes or searched the forum before posting such a long post?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tier2genmisery

Post by tier2genmisery » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:37 pm

CR001 wrote:
tier2genmisery wrote:100 views and not a single answer :( :cry:
The majority of members are very put off by posts that are as long as what you have posted. Remember, we offer our time and advice for free, have normal jobs and family so expecting anyone to trawl through an application form online to match your queries is unreasonable given the level and length of questions you have asked.

Have you read the Set(O) guidance notes or searched the forum before posting such a long post?
Yes - and I haven't managed to find anything I desperately need answers to :(

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:42 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tier2genmisery

Post by tier2genmisery » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:22 pm

I have read all the questions and answers on that page including everything available online. I still couldn't find answers to my questions regarding the SET (O) form and how to fill the boxes..

azharmahmood
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by azharmahmood » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:18 am

I dont know the answers to the above questions and would like to know if someone can really tell us what they wrote in their application form ...i will write down what i know from others

B4) Page 21 - Question 6.2

its simple

date out then date in , reason ? example-- to visit family , to attend wedding etc

if there are many then attach a separate sheet with explanation just behind the page and write in 6.2 that separate sheet attached to this page

Question 7.13

continuous period since beginning.

Question 7.14

name of your country and then write my parents/ grand parents live there

Question 11.5

skip everything which is not applicable

Page 87 - Documents checklist page

tick those which you are going to provide , others option is for supporting letters or bills which are not mentioned

tier2genmisery

Post by tier2genmisery » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:45 pm

Thank you for your responses above. My main remaining questions are:

1) Page 7 - If I book a PEO appointment then do I still need to fill in page 7 (payment details) of the form? What do I do with this page if I made the whole payment online for PEO?

2) Page 15 - which box (boxes) do I tick if I have a masters degree taught in the UK?
There are 3 separate boxes next to these and I'm really confused because it says choose one ! It feels like I have to actually choose two (number 1 and number 3)

or
Canada); OR"

3) Page 18 - I have a yearly salary (let's say £50k per annum) and I know my weekly hours (let's say 35 hours a week). What do I write next to the second box?
Box 1 - Current rate of pay (hourly rate or annual salary) - This should be 50k per annum
Box 2 - Number of hours this salary is based on - ???
Box 3 - Number of weekly hours - This is 35 hours as per my contract

tier2genmisery

28 days early application for ILR

Post by tier2genmisery » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi
I have quick question about applying 28 days early.
I have entered the UK on 28 Aug 2012 and I have been on a succession of Tier 2 Gen visas ever since.
I am thinking about applying for ILR on 1 Aug 2017 as that is +5 years -28 days if my calculation is correct.

Before re-entering the UK on Tier 2, I was doing a masters degree on a Tier 4 visa. I was away from the UK for 1 month before re-entering on a Tier 2. I have no document or letter to explain this absence between 28-07-2012 and 28-08-2012 when I re-entered. Is there any problem with this?
Is that something I have to explain in my ILR application?

Thanks for your help

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: 28 days early application for ILR

Post by zimba » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:04 pm

If the absences are outside the 5 years of qualifying ILR period, no explanation is needed
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

tier2genmisery

Post by tier2genmisery » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:10 pm

zimba88 wrote:If the absences are outside the 5 years of qualifying ILR period, no explanation is needed
That is precisely the part that I am confused about
If I re-entered the UK on 28 Aug 2012 on a Tier 2 General
and if I apply for ILR on 1 Aug 2017
is the 28 Jul 2012 - 28 Aug 2012 period considered outside of my 5 years qualifying period?

Year 1-- 01/08/2017 -- 02/08/2016
Year 2-- 01/08/2016 -- 02/08/2015
Year 3-- 01/08/2015 -- 02/08/2014
Year 4-- 01/08/2014 -- 02/08/2013
Year 5-- 01/08/2013 -- 02/08/2012

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:41 pm

You do not need to provide evidence of that period of absence
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

marcnath
United Kingdom

Post by marcnath » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:57 pm

tier2genmisery wrote:
zimba88 wrote:If the absences are outside the 5 years of qualifying ILR period, no explanation is needed
is the 28 Jul 2012 - 28 Aug 2012 period considered outside of my 5 years qualifying period?

Calculating the specified continuous period
Applicants can submit a settlement application up to 28 days before they would
reach the end of the specified period. However, the specified continuous period is
always counted backwards from the date the ILR application is submitted. For
example, if an applicant would have reached the end of a specified 5 years with
leave in a qualifying route on 30 November 2016 and they apply on 11 November
2016, the consecutive periods would be as follows:
 year 1 – 11 November 2015 to 12 November 2016
 year 2 - 11 November 2015 to 12 November 2014
 year 3 - 11 November 2014 to 12 November 2013
 year 4 - 11 November 2013 to 12 November 2012
 year 5 - 11 November 2012 to 12 November 2011
The applicant may not have had leave in a qualifying route for up to 28 days at the
start of Year 5 (in this example, between 11 November 2011 and 29 November
2012). This is acceptable.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

tier2genmisery

Post by tier2genmisery » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:01 pm

marcnath wrote:
tier2genmisery wrote:

Calculating the specified continuous period
Applicants can submit a settlement application up to 28 days before they would
reach the end of the specified period. However, the specified continuous period is
always counted backwards from the date the ILR application is submitted. For
example, if an applicant would have reached the end of a specified 5 years with
leave in a qualifying route on 30 November 2016 and they apply on 11 November
2016, the consecutive periods would be as follows:
 year 1 – 11 November 2015 to 12 November 2016
 year 2 - 11 November 2015 to 12 November 2014
 year 3 - 11 November 2014 to 12 November 2013
 year 4 - 11 November 2013 to 12 November 2012
 year 5 - 11 November 2012 to 12 November 2011
The applicant may not have had leave in a qualifying route for up to 28 days at the
2012). This is acceptable.

Yes I have read all official guidance documents - But still not 100% sure whether the period of absence between 02 Aug 12 and 28 Aug 12 must be explained in my case as it is part of Year 5.
The last paragraph from that calculation guidance document confuses me even more..

"The applicant may not have had leave in a qualifying route for up to 28 days at the
2012). This is acceptable.[/quote]"

Why does it say 29 Nov 2012?? Does it mean 2011 instead? I'm totally confused

tier2genmisery

Post by tier2genmisery » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:01 am

Sorry about repeating these questions - I originally started this topic with all of my questions and got a backlash from a moderator who said it is just too long to read - then the title has been renamed to something totally misleading - then I started a new shorter topic to ask key SET(O) questions I'm totally stuck on but moderators locked that topic down immediately. So I'm blamed for starting a long topic and I'm not allowed to start a new shorter topic.. I don't know what to do to get answers to these simple questions below..

1) Page 7 - If I book a PEO appointment then do I still need to fill in page 7 (payment details) of the form? What do I do with this page if I made the whole payment online for PEO?

2) Page 15 - which box (boxes) do I tick if I have a masters degree taught in the UK?
There are 3 separate boxes next to these and I'm really confused because it says choose one ! It feels like I have to choose two (number 1 and number 3)
or
Canada); OR"

3) Page 18 - I have a yearly salary (let's say £40k per annum) and I know my weekly hours (let's say 35 hours a week). What do I write next to the second box?
Box 1 - Current rate of pay (hourly rate or annual salary) - This should be 40k per annum

marcnath
United Kingdom

Post by marcnath » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:05 am

tier2genmisery wrote:Sorry about repeating these questions - I originally started this topic with all of my questions and got a backlash from a moderator who said it is just too long to read - then the title has been renamed to something totally misleading - then I started a new shorter topic to ask key SET(O) questions I'm totally stuck on but moderators locked that topic down immediately. So I'm blamed for starting a long topic and I'm not allowed to start a new shorter topic.. I don't know what to do to get answers to these simple questions below..

You are taking the form personally so you can fill that at the PEO centre on the spot.
tier2genmisery wrote:2) Page 15 - which box (boxes) do I tick if I have a masters degree taught in the UK?
There are 3 separate boxes next to these and I'm really confused because it says choose one ! It feels like I have to choose two (number 1 and number 3)
or
Canada); OR"

Agree this is confusing as it is not applicable when you have an UK degree. I actually selected 1 and 3 and clarified in my cover letter. I didn't face any questions
tier2genmisery wrote:3) Page 18 - I have a yearly salary (let's say £40k per annum) and I know my weekly hours (let's say 35 hours a week). What do I write next to the second box?
Box 1 - Current rate of pay (hourly rate or annual salary) - This should be 40k per annum
Box 2 - 1820, which is 35 x 52
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

tier2genmisery

Post by tier2genmisery » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:11 pm

tier2genmisery wrote:3) Page 18 - I have a yearly salary (let's say £40k per annum) and I know my weekly hours (let's say 35 hours a week). What do I write next to the second box?
Box 2 - 1820, which is 35 x 52[/quote]

THank you very much for your answer -
That still sounds a bit strange to me to be honest - I am actually thinking about skipping Box 2 as it only applies to hourly salaries.. 1820 hours is not really accurate because of public holidays etc..

marcnath
United Kingdom

Post by marcnath » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:17 pm

tier2genmisery wrote:
Box 2 - 1820, which is 35 x 52

THank you very much for your answer -
That still sounds a bit strange to me to be honest - I am actually thinking about skipping Box 2 as it only applies to hourly salaries.. 1820 hours is not really accurate because of public holidays etc..[/quote]
I am quite sure there are no issues if you skip it. However the number is correct because you are paid for public holidays, annual leave etc. So those are included as valid hours.

tier2genmisery

UK masters degree - ILR language requirement question

Post by tier2genmisery » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi
I have a UK masters degree so on page 15 of the form I will tick both of these

1) "An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK and"
2) "the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada)"

In addition to my original UK-based masters degree certificate do I still need to get something from NARIC or any other document?

Link to the ILR form-

Thank you for your help

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: UK masters degree - ILR language requirement question

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:52 pm

As the degree was taught and awarded in the UK there is no need for a NARIC ELA.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

tier2genmisery

Re: UK masters degree - ILR language requirement question

Post by tier2genmisery » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:02 pm

Casa wrote:As the degree was taught and awarded in the UK there is no need for a NARIC ELA.
Thank you Casa ! :)
I wish they designed the form more clearly so that I wouldn't have to tick the box next to "academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Master’s degree in the UK" without actually requiring anything from UK NARIC.