ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Public funds (council tax deduction)

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

PeterLove2008

Public funds (council tax deduction)

Post by PeterLove2008 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:08 pm

T1E extention
I have bought a house in a rural area, and the local council said if I live alone in in the house, they I am eligible to have 25% discount on my council tax (it is "One Adult Deduction"). Then finally I had this 25% discount on council tax.
My question is:
Is this council tax deduction something "public funds"?
If yes, what do I do?

Many thanks!

marcnath
United Kingdom

Re: Public funds (council tax deduction)

Post by marcnath » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:15 pm

PeterLove2008 wrote:T1E extention
I have bought a house in a rural area, and the local council said if I live alone in in the house, they I am eligible to have 25% discount on my council tax (it is "One Adult Deduction"). Then finally I had this 25% discount on council tax.
My question is:
Is this council tax deduction something "public funds"?
If yes, what do I do?

Many thanks!
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... blic-funds should give you the answer

If you do find it is a public fund, you should approach the council, cancel it and refund any concession received so far
Last edited by marcnath on Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

Momi
United Kingdom

Post by Momi » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:15 pm

These are not public funds. Council charge tax in their own way. You are living alone that's you got 25% discount.
I got 50% discount 2 years ago for 2 month when I bought the house and house was empty.
So chillax

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:43 pm

From Guidance - Public funds
Council tax discounts, such as sole occupancy discounts, are not considered public funds for the purposes of the Immigration Rules.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

PeterLove2008

Post by PeterLove2008 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:35 am

zimba88 wrote:From Guidance - Public funds
Council tax discounts, such as sole occupancy discounts, are not considered public funds for the purposes of the Immigration Rules.
Zimba88 - you are super star!
yes the guidance "public funds" Page 7 clearly stated what you quoted. I should have known this earlier, because only a coupld of days I paid that balance and asked for a receipt from local council. All seems unnecessary.