ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Crisis concerns!

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lilly7
Newly Registered

Crisis concerns!

Post by lilly7 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:52 pm

Hi,

let me explain a bit first before I ask- Husband and I are both under 25, I'm a student and husbands looking for work as just out of work since dec due to funding. we are hoping to go over to australia in may/june and hoping to stay there perminantly but have to clear things up first here- as we've been talking over a year now and its sticky issues to clear up-

Hope someone can help me with this-

Few questions....

do we have to pay off loans before trying to move?

is it easier to go to new zealand first then to australia as my husband has stayed in nz for a year?

how easy will it be to find work?

Have family in Australia, Auntie'n uncle- how does it work if its possible for them to sponsor us?

I have history of mental health and am supported by my husband- is this a problem?

I hope someone can help me on this as its a desperate need of answers.

thanks,

lil

Jeff Albright

Re: Crisis concerns!

Post by Jeff Albright » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:01 pm

lilly7 wrote: do we have to pay off loans before trying to move?
Immigration won't bother about your UK financial commitments. But you should sort it out in the UK before living. Either pay them off or go into DMP or declare yourself a bankrupt. Your UK credit history will not have any influence on Australian one. When you get to Australia you will need to build up your new credit history from scratch.
is it easier to go to new zealand first then to australia as my husband has stayed in nz for a year?
Two different countries, different regulations. I don't think it will make any difference.
how easy will it be to find work?
Depends on your occupation. If there is an economic demand for that type of job, you will find one eventually. MODL and the demands from the job market do not necessarily match. Getting job in Australia is a lot more difficult than in the UK. Some migrants (even with MODL) take a long time to find a job in their occupation, it takes them at least one year and more. Many migrants get disappointed and are leaving shortly after the arrival after having not been able to find a job they hoped for. Some professions require professional recognition and accreditation here before you are considered for any job. The requirements are usually much higher, you may end up going back to school and get a higher degree before you become accredited to the Australian standards.
Have family in Australia, Auntie'n uncle- how does it work if its possible for them to sponsor us?
You can claim extra points in your skilled migration application.
I have history of mental health and am supported by my husband- is this a problem?
Shouldn't be but this will eventually be looked into by the Medical Officer of the Commonwealth. If you do not require regular medical treatment, you should be fine.
The only medical conditions, with which the application will fall to be refused are TB and HIV I think.