ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

punsin
Newly Registered

Re: Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

Post by punsin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:26 pm

Evening Forum,

I need to ask a question which is not clarified under guidance and booklet.

BRP Enrolment section;
6.5 Place of issue

I applied in person at Croydon UKBA office. But I cant say where BRP was issued. BRP does not state town/city of issue. How best to answer? Shall I just say UK?

Thanks
PS

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:11 pm

punsin wrote:Evening Forum,

I need to ask a question which is not clarified under guidance and booklet.

BRP Enrolment section;
6.5 Place of issue

I applied in person at Croydon UKBA office. But I cant say where BRP was issued. BRP does not state town/city of issue. How best to answer? Shall I just say UK?

Thanks
PS
Write 'Home Office London'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

punsin
Newly Registered

Post by punsin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:19 am

Thanks CR001!

Basid
Newly Registered

Post by Basid » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:16 pm

Hello everyone,

I have two questions regarding naturalisation process.

I have been living in the UK for 11 years (10 years with various student visas and 1 year with ILR). So, which application form do I need to complete? Form AN?

On the gov website it says that there are two ways you can get naturalised in the UK: first one is through marriage and the second one is 5 years residency. So, in my case do I fall under 5 years residency category?

In terms of fees I need to pay for naturalisation (1282 pounds), not for registration fees (just making sure I m doing a correct thing).

Also, do I need to do biometric enrollment (fingers and face)? I have done it before for my the ILR.

Please could someone help me?

Dmitry

punsin
Newly Registered

Post by punsin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:22 pm

Basid wrote:Hello everyone,

I have been living in the UK for 11 years (10 years with various student visas and 1 year with ILR). So, which application form do I need to complete? Form AN?
Form AN, Yes.

On the gov website it says that there are two ways you can get naturalised in the UK: first one is through marriage and the second one is 5 years residency. So, in my case do I fall under 5 years residency category?
Yes, obviously, 5 Years Residency.

In terms of fees I need to pay for naturalisation (1282 pounds), not for registration fees (just making sure I m doing a correct thing).
1282 for naturalisation.

Also, do I need to do biometric enrollment (fingers and face)? I have done it before for my the ILR.
Yes, you will have to go through biometrics again. Fee is covered in the naturalisation fee as above.

Dmitry

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:14 pm

punsin wrote:
Basid wrote:Also, do I need to do biometric enrollment (fingers and face)? I have done it before for my the ILR.
Yes, you will have to go through biometrics again. Fee is covered in the naturalisation fee as above.
@punsin - kindly refrain from giving incorrect advice. The biometric fee is NOT included in the naturalisation fee, it is a separate fee payable to the Post Office.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

punsin
Newly Registered

Post by punsin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:59 pm

CR001 wrote:
punsin wrote:
Basid wrote:Also, do I need to do biometric enrollment (fingers and face)? I have done it before for my the ILR.
@punsin - kindly refrain from giving incorrect advice. The biometric fee is NOT included in the naturalisation fee, it is a separate fee payable to the Post Office.
My Bad!

Uzdu
Newly Registered

Post by Uzdu » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi all,

This may be a really stupid question by I'm slightly confused as to why on the Timeline forums there are people are stating the date they applied for a passport, which is always the same date as they sent of the application?

I didn't see any reference within the AN application to tick for a passport as part of the naturalisation process.

I put down the fee of £1,282 which is stated in the fee guide.

How I done something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:33 pm

Uzdu wrote:Hi all,

This may be a really stupid question by I'm slightly confused as to why on the Timeline forums there are people are stating the date they applied for a passport, which is always the same date as they sent of the application?

I didn't see any reference within the AN application to tick for a passport as part of the naturalisation process.

I put down the fee of £1,282 which is stated in the fee guide.

How I done something wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Some nationality checking services (NCS) have a Joint Citizenship and Passport (JCAP) service that allow you to submit a passport application along with your AN form. If you are applying by post, this won't be available to you. There's nothing to tick on the AN form, it's simply submitting both applications together.

If you are applying through an NCS, it's worth asking if they do JCAP. Not all of them do (for instance, the one I used didn't).

Uzdu
Newly Registered

Post by Uzdu » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi Tea_rocket, thank you for your fast reply.

I had no idea there was a Joint Citizenship and Passport application, so I only sent of my Natrualisation (AN) application. Is this an issue and can I apply for the joint citizenship/passport once I'm naturalised?

When I went onto the Dual Nationality page on Gov.uk it stated 'To get British citizenship in the UK, apply for citizenship in the normal way.' - which was the AN application. Now I think I've done it all wrong.

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Uzdu wrote:I had no idea there was a Joint Citizenship and Passport application, so I only sent of my Natrualisation (AN) application. Is this an issue and can I apply for the joint citizenship/passport once I'm naturalised?
It sounds like you applied by post. If so, then applying for a passport at the same time was not an option for you. You can only apply for a passport with your naturalisation application if you apply through a Nationality Checking Service that offers a JCAP option. Once you're naturalised, you'll have UK citizenship, so your question doesn't really make sense—you can't apply jointly for citizenship and a passport if you already have citizenship.

At some point after you've done your citizenship ceremony, you'll need to apply for your first adult UK passport. You can pick the necessary forms up from the post office (and for a fee, have them check your application for you).
Uzdu wrote:When I went onto the Dual Nationality page on Gov.uk it stated 'To get British citizenship in the UK, apply for citizenship in the normal way.' - which was the AN application. Now I think I've done it all wrong.
Not applying for a passport with your naturalisation is not doing anything wrong. As I said, if you've applied by post or applied through an NCS that doesn't offer it, then JCAP wasn't an option for you.

Basid
Newly Registered

Post by Basid » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Basid wrote:Hello everyone,

Dmitry
Can someone help me please?

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:46 pm

Basid wrote:Can someone help me please?
punsin already did, though s/he made a mistake and CR001 corrected it.

Yes, form AN is the one you want. Unless you are married to a UK citizen, then you will be applying under the five years residence category. You'll pay the £1282 fee when you apply. A few weeks after you submit your application, you will receive a letter requesting that you submit your biometrics. You will have to go to a post office that offers this service and submit your photo, fingerprints, and signature, as you did with your ILR application. You will pay a separate fee of about £25 when you do this.

When you apply for a UK passport (be it through JCAP or after you've naturalised), you'll have to pay a separate fee for that, as well.

softy monster
Algeria

Post by softy monster » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Tea_Rocket wrote:
Basid wrote:Can someone help me please?
punsin already did, though s/he made a mistake and CR001 corrected it.

Yes, form AN is the one you want. Unless you are married to a UK citizen, then you will be applying under the five years residence category. You'll pay the £1282 fee when you apply. A few weeks after you submit your application, you will receive a letter requesting that you submit your biometrics.
You will have to go to a post office that offers this service and submit your photo, fingerprints, and signature, as you did with your ILR application. You will pay a separate fee of about £25 when you do this.
When you apply for a UK passport (be it through JCAP or after you've naturalised), you'll have to pay a separate fee for that, as well.

It's £19.20
Non-EEA (McCarthy Transitional Arrangement case)
PR card rec/dated:28 April 17
British Citizen: Dec 17

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:17 pm

softy monster wrote:It's £19.20
So it is (just looked at my receipt). I couldn't remember how much it was, but knew it wasn't more than £25, and figured it was better to say it was more than to say it was less.

orangesky
Newly Registered

Post by orangesky » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi All,

I would like to ask for clarification regarding the form AN. I am a self employed EEA citizen.

Questions:

1.17 Please provide your addresses for the past five years
- I have lived at my current address for more than 5 years and have filled in 1.16 (present address with from date) accordingly. Do I therefore leave 1.17 blank, or repeat what I have written in 1.16?

1.49 Address of tax office or tax office reference
- I'm self employed. Do I leave this blank, write my UTR number or something else?

1.50 Employment history
- Do times when I was a university student need to be included?

Supporting Documents:
Section 3 Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 years. Your passport or letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments indicating presence in UK.

- I'm uncertain what to provide here. Is my Permanent Residence card and passport sufficient? As self-employed, I can also include self assessment forms for all years in addition to the most recent Self Assessment Statement of Account that I already provide as Section 7 evidence. Should I do this? What else should I provide as evidence for section 3?

Thank you for your time.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:28 pm

1.17 Please provide your addresses for the past five years
- I have lived at my current address for more than 5 years and have filled in 1.16 (present address with from date) accordingly. Do I therefore leave 1.17 blank, or repeat what I have written in 1.16? Leave Blank.

1.49 Address of tax office or tax office reference
- I'm self employed. Do I leave this blank, write my UTR number or something else?
Tax Reference from correspondence, or UTR if that's what identifies you for tax purposes.
1.50 Employment history
- Do times when I was a university student need to be included?
Uni is not employment but if there is a gap in employment due to study, explain gap in the free-form information section.
Supporting Documents:
Section 3 Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 years. Your passport or letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments indicating presence in UK.

- I'm uncertain what to provide here. Is my Permanent Residence card and passport sufficient? As self-employed, I can also include self assessment forms for all years in addition to the most recent Self Assessment Statement of Account that I already provide as Section 7 evidence. Should I do this? What else should I provide as evidence for section 3?
Yes that should be sufficient, employed people normally provide P60 or letter from employer.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

orangesky
Newly Registered

Post by orangesky » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:05 am

Thank you alterhase58. Regarding your last response: Did you mean that my Permanent Residence card and passport are sufficient or that these documents + self assessment forms for all years are sufficient?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:59 pm

orangesky wrote:Thank you alterhase58. Regarding your last response: Did you mean that my Permanent Residence card and passport are sufficient or that these documents + self assessment forms for all years are sufficient?
Passport/PR Card and SA forms required.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

orangesky
Newly Registered

Post by orangesky » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:11 pm

Thank you again and have a great week.

D3lboy
Newly Registered

Post by D3lboy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:57 am

Hello everyone
I've looked throughout the forum and googled it, but could not find anything related to my question.
I've received the letter for biometrics from HO, so today I went to post office to do photo and fingerprints.
So, I've done the 4 fingers on right hand-all ok.
But the right thumb failed- 3 times, and the post office operator said he can't go back in the menu.
Then I've done the left 4 fingers-all fine, also left thumb ok as well.
At the end the person at post office said it shouldn't be a problem, gave me receipt and off my went.
But I'm not sure about it, should I be worried? Is there anything I can do-e.g. call HO?

softy monster
Algeria

Post by softy monster » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:35 am

D3lboy wrote:Hello everyone
I've looked throughout the forum and googled it, but could not find anything related to my question.
I've received the letter for biometrics from HO, so today I went to post office to do photo and fingerprints.
So, I've done the 4 fingers on right hand-all ok.
But the right thumb failed- 3 times, and the post office operator said he can't go back in the menu.
Then I've done the left 4 fingers-all fine, also left thumb ok as well.
At the end the person at post office said it shouldn't be a problem, gave me receipt and off my went.
But I'm not sure about it, should I be worried? Is there anything I can do-e.g. call HO?
Hi there,
if there will be a problem, HO will send you another letter asking you to re-do it again simple is that! Also make sure you are around the next few weeks just in case they come back to you about!
Non-EEA (McCarthy Transitional Arrangement case)
PR card rec/dated:28 April 17
British Citizen: Dec 17

skay7777
Newly Registered

Post by skay7777 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:37 am

Hello guys,

Hope y'all well. I'm filling out Form AN too and have a few questions please:

1. I am on a career break at the moment trying to set up a business. I am the director of a company that hasn't started trading yet. What should I put my employment status as and what proof should I submit with application? I left my job a few months ago.

2. Can my girlfriend whom I live with be one of my referees?

3. For the question 'First date of entering the UK with a view to live long term?' Would that be when I came as a student or started working with tier 2 visa?'' I entered the UK 9 years ago as a student, studied for 3 years and then obtained a tier 2 visa and started working.

I would be very grateful if someone can help me with these questions.

D3lboy
Newly Registered

Post by D3lboy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi softy
Thank for your reply, if that's the process then, it sounds great.
The reason I am worried about is that they would refuse the application and I have to pay again for it and the NCS service (which I've used), and will delay the process much farther.
I don't mean to mistrust you, but is there anyone else that can confirm(maybe Noajthan).
Many thanks again

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:11 pm

D3lboy wrote:Hi softy
Thank for your reply, if that's the process then, it sounds great.
The reason I am worried about is that they would refuse the application and I have to pay again for it and the NCS service (which I've used), and will delay the process much farther.
I don't mean to mistrust you, but is there anyone else that can confirm(maybe Noajthan).
Many thanks again
It should be a problem. Not many people have these issues so not sure why you think anyone else might be able to confirm.

P.S. Noajthan has not been active on the forum for a number of months.
Char (CR001 not Casa)