ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent residency and passport issue.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jambles
Newly Registered

Permanent residency and passport issue.

Post by jambles » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:15 am

Hi there.

I am a South African. I am looking to gain permanent residency through the green card permit. What I want to know is if permanent residency entitles you to a passport, and if not, at what stage are you entitled to one?

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:38 am

Permanent residency does not really exist in Ireland. You need to live in Ireland for 5 years before you are able to apply for naturalisation. After about 2.5-3 years you will find out if you have been granted citizenship, after which you can apply for a passport.

hussie
Newly Registered

shocking

Post by hussie » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:42 pm

Ah man, Jambles. You're not serious! I was hoping that I'll have citizenship next year Jan (based on 30+ months waiting etc) but I assumed citizenship=passport.

So now my question. How long after citizenship do you actually have the passport in your hand? Probably another 30 months??! :-s Where would you apply for the passport?

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:47 pm

Technically you qualify for permanent (or long term more accurately) residency after either 5 years (through work permits) or after 2 years on a green card employment permit (www.entemp.ie). However if you get long term residency in the form of a 5 year stamp after being on the green card for 2 years, you still need to have a total of 5 years residency before you can apply for naturalisation. The waiting time for naturalisation is currently 3 years. Once a certificate of naturalisation is issued, you become an Irish citizen on the date stated on the naturalisation certificate. You are then an Irish citizen, and only then are you able to apply for an Irish passport (using your certificate of naturalisation). The actual passport application takes about 10 days, its the waiting before that for you to become a citizen that takes so long.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: shocking

Post by Christophe » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:11 pm

hussie wrote:Ah man, Jambles. You're not serious! I was hoping that I'll have citizenship next year Jan (based on 30+ months waiting etc) but I assumed citizenship=passport.

So now my question. How long after citizenship do you actually have the passport in your hand? Probably another 30 months??! :-s Where would you apply for the passport?
Once you are an Irish citizen, you can apply for an Irish passport in the same way as any other Irish citizen. There will obviously a short period between making the application and receiving the passport (i.e. they don't give it to you there and then), but it won't be long. As joesoap says, it's becoming a citizen that will take you a long time.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:09 am

joesoap101 wrote:Technically you qualify for permanent (or long term more accurately) residency after either 5 years (through work permits) or after 2 years on a green card employment permit (www.entemp.ie). However if you get long term residency in the form of a 5 year stamp after being on the green card for 2 years, you still need to have a total of 5 years residency before you can apply for naturalisation. The waiting time for naturalisation is currently 3 years. Once a certificate of naturalisation is issued, you become an Irish citizen on the date stated on the naturalisation certificate. You are then an Irish citizen, and only then are you able to apply for an Irish passport (using your certificate of naturalisation). The actual passport application takes about 10 days, its the waiting before that for you to become a citizen that takes so long.
ok, we went throught this before. joe. can you find a section saying that they will grant long-term residency to green card holder after 2 years???? as far as i can see in their document. they are only saying the green card holder will have a pathway to get long term residency after 2 years but they did not say when.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:50 pm

I've found the following on citizensinformation.ie regarding long term residency after 2 years on a green card permit - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... een%20card.

However, as far as I'm aware, this is not law yet, as it's contained within the new immigration bill.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:58 pm

mktsoi wrote:
joesoap101 wrote:Technically you qualify for permanent (or long term more accurately) residency after either 5 years (through work permits) or after 2 years on a green card employment permit (www.entemp.ie). However if you get long term residency in the form of a 5 year stamp after being on the green card for 2 years, you still need to have a total of 5 years residency before you can apply for naturalisation. The waiting time for naturalisation is currently 3 years. Once a certificate of naturalisation is issued, you become an Irish citizen on the date stated on the naturalisation certificate. You are then an Irish citizen, and only then are you able to apply for an Irish passport (using your certificate of naturalisation). The actual passport application takes about 10 days, its the waiting before that for you to become a citizen that takes so long.
ok, we went throught this before. joe. can you find a section saying that they will grant long-term residency to green card holder after 2 years???? as far as i can see in their document. they are only saying the green card holder will have a pathway to get long term residency after 2 years but they did not say when.
This is getting old! Do some research on the various websites and this forum!

"The new arrangements allow the employee to apply for immediate family re-unification and will normally allow a pathway to long-term residence after two years."

"After 2 years on a Green Card Permit to whom do I apply for permanent residence?
The Immigration and Citizenship Bureau of the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform."

http://www.entemp.ie/publications/labou ... ncards.pdf

Can you please make an effort next time to actually read the document! And Green Card employment permits have been issued for a while now, so as to when? well as soon as you have one for 2 years- quite simple. But that doesnt mean you get to skip the queue at the DOJ.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:16 pm

Even if you are pals with the high and mighty, things do not move fast in Ireland.But there's a name in the article to keep in mind when trying to contact someone on immigration issues, 'Fine Gael TD Alan Shatter'.

Architect's appeal at two-year wait for citizenship
http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 02182.html
An architect who helped organise Charlie Haughey's funeral has hit out at the delays in processing his citizenship application.

Steven Phillips (38), from New Zealand, was one of the people tasked with ensuring there were adequate facilities available for dignitaries and the media at St Fintan's cemetery in Howth in December 2006.

He also was in charge of renovating Justice Minister Brian Lenihan's offices and the offices of Communications Minister Eamon Ryan.

He said last night that he was very frustrated at the two-and-a-quarter year wait for his Irish citizenship application to be processed.

"There's constant waiting and not knowing what's going on. Ireland is my home now and I'm committed to living and working here, and establishing a home with my wife and hopefully a family," he said.

He married his wife, Sandra, in 2006 and is still working with EML architects, which has offices in Dublin and Limerick.

However, his lack of Irish citizenship is making it more difficult for them to get a mortgage and to achieve their plans of setting up a marketing company together.

Mr Phillips said he had sent letters, emails and faxes to the Department of Justice for information about his December 2005 citizenship application but had received few replies.

His case was highlighted in the Dail last night by Fine Gael TD Alan Shatter, who said that his application might not be processed until 2010 due to the huge backlog of cases.There are currently 17,000 people waiting for their citizenship applications to be processed..

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:31 pm

So the wait is now 5 years to have your application processed? Ireland is a joke!

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:22 am

joesoap101 wrote:
mktsoi wrote:
This is getting old! Do some research on the various websites and this forum!

"The new arrangements allow the employee to apply for immediate family re-unification and will normally allow a pathway to long-term residence after two years."

"After 2 years on a Green Card Permit to whom do I apply for permanent residence?
The Immigration and Citizenship Bureau of the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform."

Can you please make an effort next time to actually read the document! And Green Card employment permits have been issued for a while now, so as to when? well as soon as you have one for 2 years- quite simple. But that doesnt mean you get to skip the queue at the DOJ.
joe

can you confirm this residency thing you talking about? i spoke to dept of entemp last year. they will only deal with the green card. and not the residecny. did GNIB post any info about the green card holder can get long term residency status after 2 years in their site? if they have please share the info with us!!!!!!!! as far as i know, GNIB is not granting anythhing to anyone unless they have been here for 5 years. what suddenly makes GNIB to be nice to the green card holder???? i could be wrong, but prove me wrong!

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:07 am

mktsoi you are belligerent and frankly I dont care who issues what to whom. Read the documents and deal with the various Government departments yourself. I dont need to prove anything. What I can say with some certainty is that you are incapable of reading and/or interpreting the documents issued by the dept of enterprise trade and employment.

If you cannot read English, get someone to translate the above document. The key parts here are (this is taken from the above document)-

The Immigration and Citizenship Bureau of the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform.
"

As for the application/administration of this, well who knows? Surely anyone who has dealt with immigration related issues in Ireland would be well aware of this.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:35 am

joesoap101 wrote:mktsoi you are belligerent and frankly I dont care who issues what to whom. Read the documents and deal with the various Government departments yourself. I dont need to prove anything. What I can say with some certainty is that you are incapable of reading and/or interpreting the documents issued by the dept of enterprise trade and employment.

If you cannot read English, get someone to translate the above document. The key parts here are (this is taken from the above document)-

The Immigration and Citizenship Bureau of the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform.
"

As for the application/administration of this, well who knows? Surely anyone who has dealt with immigration related issues in Ireland would be well aware of this.
look. do i know how to read english or not. this is simple. if i cannot read. i cannot answer you here! listen. YOU stop mislead people here. if i am wrong, i will apologize, so prove me wrong. i was looking into this myself 6 months ago. IT SAID pathway to permanent residency. did you see the word PATHWAY?????? i spoke to the dept some months ago about this. yes, you are right. the dept of enterprise told people in the document after 2 years that people can apply for the permanent residency, but they never said when after 2 years!!!!!!!!!!! plus, after all, can a non eu national stay in ireland or not. dept of justice has the final say about this. 6 months ago when i phoned up dept of justice(GNIB) and asked about the 2 years green card holder and permanent residency after. they dont even have a clue about what i was asking. all they saying is, a person can get long term residency only after 5 years working in ireland, not 2 years.

and this is what i was saying in the last quato. if you have the correct info here, share with everyone!!!!! the link you posted here. it was what i was looking at some months ago in dept of entemp. and i have posted about this before as well. like i said. not unless dept of justice(GNIB) confirmed that green card holder can get permanent residency after 2 years. otherwise, whatever dept of enterprise said about the residency is useless!!!!!! so YOU dont be rude, not only me, but including all the people in this website.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:18 pm

What exactly is your point? Take a case against the Government for providing misleading information if you wish- it sounds as if you are holding me personally responsible for the Governments lack of implementation of their own policies - I think you may have lost touch with reality.

And I am not misleading anyone, I back up all my statements with relevant links.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:09 pm

joesoap101 wrote:What exactly is your point? Take a case against the Government for providing misleading information if you wish- it sounds as if you are holding me personally responsible for the Governments lack of implementation of their own policies - I think you may have lost touch with reality.

And I am not misleading anyone, I back up all my statements with relevant links.
my point is DONT be rude to other people. you are not misleading people. i know you have been posting in this forum for long time. you should know how it works in ireland now!!!!!! i have done few post about green card and long term residency in this forum. just go take a read yourself. by the way, english is not my first language. just in case you dont understand what i wrote in this forum. you better find a translator since you dont think i can read and write in english smart guy!

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:59 pm

mktsoi wrote:
joesoap101 wrote:What exactly is your point? Take a case against the Government for providing misleading information if you wish- it sounds as if you are holding me personally responsible for the Governments lack of implementation of their own policies - I think you may have lost touch with reality.

my point is DONT be rude to other people. you are not misleading people. i know you have been posting in this forum for long time. you should know how it works in ireland now!!!!!! i have done few post about green card and long term residency in this forum. just go take a read yourself. by the way, english is not my first language. just in case you dont understand what i wrote in this forum. you better find a translator since you dont think i can read and write in english smart guy!
*yawn*

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:57 am

joesoap101 wrote:
mktsoi wrote:

*yawn*
smart guy. just stop being an idiot and stop misleading people. you want to talk about regulations of ireland. go by the rule and apply and let them make you fxxxing wait forever.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:00 am

joesoap101 wrote:
mktsoi wrote:

*yawn*
by the way, i forgot to say this. just like you are saying. you are not msileading people. i dont know if you are like most of the people in this forum or not. either waiting for long term residency or irish citizenship approve by the irish government. if you are, i hope next time when you mention to other people in this forum about how it works. like apply for citizenship has to be living in ireland for 5 years BUT DO NOT forget to tell people that the DOJ making people wait 3 years after. you are right. you are not mislead but just forgot to tell people certain stuff. just like the green card Mr Scholar!

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:40 pm

You should seriously look into getting some counseling for that chip on your shoulder. I have never mislead anyone in this forum, nor have I neglected to mention any information - which is widely accessible through various posts anyway.

I am an Irish citizen, I'm not waiting on anything. Finally, most of your problems likely stem from the fact that you're Chinese and that you were not complying with Irish immigration laws- that is your problem, don't take it out on anyone else. You are actually misleading everyone.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:51 pm

joesoap101 wrote:You should seriously look into getting some counseling for that chip on your shoulder. I have never mislead anyone in this forum, nor have I neglected to mention any information - which is widely accessible through various posts anyway.

I am an Irish citizen, I'm not waiting on anything. Finally, most of your problems likely stem from the fact that you're Chinese and that you were not complying with Irish immigration laws- that is your problem, don't take it out on anyone else. You are actually misleading everyone.
oh my god, you are irish citizen? i cannot believe this. they acutally let you have citizenship? you must be a very good citizen that waited for 5 years and applied and they gave the passport to you a day after the 5 years. wow. by the way, can you tell me how did i not comply with the irish immigration law? since i dont know english much, oh please explain.

you idiot. i was one of those people got info from DOJ say this and that and waited for 5 years and at the end got told that i have wait for another 3 because of the backlog. i tell you what the problem is in ireland. DOJ is filled with people like you. only tell people whats on the paper but did not tell the reality to the people. thats what so many people waiting. is ok, i am chinese. you must be a better race then me since you saying that i am chinese and not complying the immigration law.

and i guess my english is very bad. i said you mislead people? not really, you just did not tell people the reality of it.

dont worry, i left ireland already since i did not comply the immigration law and you did hahahaha Mr model citizen

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:12 pm

I think this thread is getting way off topic...sorry Im shutting it down.