ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Brexit and Irish citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MrFantasist
Newly Registered

Brexit and Irish citizenship

Post by MrFantasist » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:10 am

Hello everyone,
My wife and I are both British nationals. My wife can also acquire Irish citizenship/passport since her grandmother is Irish born. Now we have been planning to live abroad in either Spain or Portugal for a while but then brexit happened, which may or may not make our dream of moving to Spain/Portugal a little difficult as future non-eu citizens in couple of years. We would certainly prefer to stay a European citizen as it offers freedom of movement and other benefits across Europe. Our question is this, once my wife gets her Irish passport, then what are the possible way for me to apply for Irish citizenship? I understand that at the moment their is a requirement for us to live in Ireland for 2-3 years before I'd be eligible. I'm just curious if there's another way for me to apply for Irish citizenship? And whether living in a eu country would be a more beneficial for us even if just my wife has a eu countrys' passport post brexit? All replies are very much appreciated.

Regards
A remainer

Moggy
Newly Registered

Re: Brexit and Irish citizenship

Post by Moggy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:27 am

I'm assuming that you don't have any parents/grandparents from any other EU country?

If you do, you could look at their rules and see if you could get citizenship.

If not, then your only option really is to go and live for 3-5 years in a EU country and then apply for citizenship. We don't yet know though what the rules will be when Brexit actually happens, it might be that you'd have to leave and return to the UK before you had chance to become a citizen.

There is loophole but it might not suit you. As a UK citizen you have the right to live in Northern Ireland and after 3-5 years you can then apply for Irish citizenship. For most people spending 3-5 years in Northern Ireland isn't going to be an option that's feasible, but it depends on your personal circumstances whether you could do that.

crisbella218
China

Post by crisbella218 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:51 pm

No other way than living on Island of Ireland for 3 years or having an irish grandparent.

If when Brexit happens British citizens become third country nationals and you move to an EU country other than your own, EU rules work in your favor as it allows an EU citizen to bring in their non-eu spouse pretty easily.

As stated we don't know what will happen as EU and British government hasn't agreed.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:51 pm

crisbella218 wrote:No other way than living on Island of Ireland for 3 years or having an irish grandparent.

If when Brexit happens British citizens become third country nationals and you move to an EU country other than your own, EU rules work in your favor as it allows an EU citizen to bring in their non-eu spouse pretty easily.

As stated we don't know what will happen as EU and British government hasn't agreed.
Or great grandfather and beyond if they've registered offspring on the FBR....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:24 pm

Spouses of Irish citizens can apply for Irish citizenship after 3 years residence in Northern Ireland. There are some conditions- example, as I understand it, the marriage must have persisted for the three year period and the Irish spouse must have been a citizen throughout.
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... ation.html

If choosing to live in the Republic of Ireland, the residence rules for British citizens are not contingent on the EU Treaties and should persist after the United Kingdom leaves the EU- unless the Irish government decides to change its domestic law.
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... izens.html

There is a standard 5 year residence period for Irish citizenship if the status of a spouse is not counted (and residence must normally be in the Republic of Ireland). http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... ation.html

Also note- there are requirements for naturalised Irish citizens living outside the country to register an intention to retain Irish citizenship. As I understand it, these have never been enforced in the past but might be in future.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.