ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do you need to be employed at the time of ILR?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

iubus2005
United Kingdom

Explaining / evidence of the absences

Post by iubus2005 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:33 pm

Hi,
I am applying for my ILR under Tier 1 (General) route. I have over 120 trips over the last 5 years. Most of them are business or approved vacations, and a few personal trips / longer business trips (nothing crossing 180 days or breaking continuity).
I have had a few different employers over the 5 year period. I have employer letters for most of the trips and vacation time. However, there are a few trips where I either don't have a letter (e.g. my old / original employer, a US based company, 5 years ago) or it is a generic letter (e.g. my current employer, where they only work with standard verifications, and not a willing to verify detailed list of business trips) without mentioning specific dates of travel.
I assume that it is ok to explain these types of absences in a personal letter. Can one of the senior members please confirm, and provide a template for such letter.
This forum has been a life saver and I cannot thank everyone enough.

iubus2005
United Kingdom

Re: Explaining / evidence of the absences

Post by iubus2005 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi Seniors,
Can someone please help me with this format of personal letter? It is getting urgent as my appointment is very imminent.

iubus2005
United Kingdom

Post by iubus2005 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Additionally,I wanted to know if we have to attach proof of travel (ie tickets etc.)? For the last few months, I have been working internationally and commute weekly within Europe. However, I don't get stamped on passport as I have signed up as a Registered Traveler

It allows me to use the expedited UK/EU e-passport automatic immigration lane --(i.e. no need to wait for immigration office, biometrics or stamp on the passport). I requested SAR but Home Office did not provide any details or landing cards from the past.

I have the detailed list of all my travel (more than 100 short trips over the last 5 years). However, not every trip is stamped on passports. (In the guidance notes of application, it does not ask for this sort of documentation)

Please help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:47 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

iubus2005
United Kingdom

Post by iubus2005 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:10 pm

Thanks CR001 for the response. I had read those links and did not find answer to the questions. I am looking for:
a) Format of personal letter to explain my absences (for cases where Employer letter is not available)
b) clarification if I need to print the old travel tickets etc. to confirm the dates of absences that I list (for cases where the travel is not stamped on passport, and SAR did not provide any details either).

Thank you so much. As always, you have been very helpful to everyone through the years.

seasky
BANNED
United Kingdom

Post by seasky » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:58 am

I was T1E with many travels including registered traveller. It did not ask for evidence and I did not provide (again T1E no idea other visas) I did provide dates and mentioned in cover letter that I am registered traveller so not always have stamps.

remember an overnight trip needs to be written on the form but is 0 days abroad

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Tier 1G migrants must provide reason and evidence for their absences, but Tier 1E migrants do not have such requirement :!:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

seasky
BANNED
United Kingdom

Post by seasky » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:12 pm

zimba88 wrote:Tier 1G migrants must provide reason and evidence for their absences, but Tier 1E migrants do not have such requirement :!:
You have to provide "reason for absence" which in my case was succinct. "Business. Conference." or" Business. Meeting suppliers" etc OR "private. vacation" but again no evidence

iubus2005
United Kingdom

Post by iubus2005 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 pm

Thanks Seasky and Zimba88.

@Zimba, Is there a recommended template for writing personal cover letter to detail the reasons for travel (specially for the dates where the employer is not available to provide a letter)? I was able to collect the evidence of all the travels.

Thanks a lot for helping. These are hard stressful days till!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:26 pm

There is no template or format. Just create a spreadsheet and provide the information required
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

iubus2005
United Kingdom

Post by iubus2005 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Thanks a lot zimba88

iubus2005
United Kingdom

Do you need to be employed at the time of ILR?

Post by iubus2005 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:53 pm

Dear All,
Do you need to be employed in UK at the time of applying for ILR under Tier 1 (General)? I refer to the information provided in the following old thread
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ivity_proo

I am applying for ILR. However, I quit my last job in UK a couple months ago, and joined a new role for which I commute 3-4 days every week to Europe. So, while I am still employed, I am getting paid in Euros outside UK.

I had sufficient income to easily meet Tier 1 (General) Income points just based on my UK employment in the last 12 months. (I am deciding whether or not to also include my Euro income). My absences are pretty low (less than 50) in the recent year.

Question:
a) Is it a problem if you are earning outside UK, with limited absences, at the time of ILR?

iubus2005
United Kingdom

Re: Do you need to be employed at the time of ILR?

Post by iubus2005 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:19 am

Dear All,
Any help on my previous question? Not sure how and why it got merged with an older and separate topic!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:17 pm

You must score 80 points for employment as per Tier 1G rules. :!: :!:

Table 3: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... -to-remain

iubus2005
United Kingdom

Post by iubus2005 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:49 pm

Thanks zimba. I need to score 75 points only, as my initial approval was based on rules in Apr 2009.
However, I got confused based on some of the information I listed in my previous message:
a) Do I have to be employed in UK at the time of ILR application?

Over the last couple of months, I am employed currently, but get paid/work most days in EU (outside UK). However, I was employed in UK for most of the past 12 months (and have enough income to easily reach 90 points versus 75 required)

iubus2005
United Kingdom

Post by iubus2005 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi All,
I understand everyone is busy, and apologies in advance for asking again. My appointment is coming up in a couple of days and will really appreciate the clarification this question

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:54 pm

There is nothing explicit in the rules. You just have to apply and see if this is going to be an issue.

iubus2005
United Kingdom

Post by iubus2005 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:00 pm

Like always, thanks a lot zimba. You've been a life saver. There are just two things killing me with stress:

a) employment status at the time of ILR
b) have I missed listing any trip on the list of trips - (even though I had 100+ trips over last 5 years, the SAR requests came back with Zero data!)

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:11 pm

a) employment status at the time of ILR
You need to prove the income threshold as per rules
b) have I missed listing any trip on the list of trips - (even though I had 100+ trips over last 5 years, the SAR requests came back with Zero data!)
You must check all your passports and detail all the absences

iubus2005
United Kingdom

Post by iubus2005 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks.
a) I am fortunate that income threshold is not a problem. Have always been an employee or looking for work (never self-employed, so no complication of tax changes etc.). That part is straight forward. However, over 5 years, I have had a couple of jobs outside UK when the income and taxes were paid internationally, not to HMRC. Extension was never a problem but who knows as the rules and interpretations keep changing.
b) Yes, I did go through all stamps in both he passports, and a detailed list of trips that are not stamped but I kept records of (as Registered traveler, don't get any stamps in Europe or UK). I have gone over my list and my email records many times to check that everything I know is included. However, still not 100% if anything is missing when it was not stamped. It is concerning that SAR came up with no records of trips. So, either Home Office don't have the history or I did not get the right answer from them.