ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HELP Giving Notice/Fiance Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

domeonga96
United States of America

HELP & ADVICE NEEDED!!!

Post by domeonga96 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Hello,

I was hoping that someone might be able to assist me. I am from the US and plan on moving over to the UK on the family visa to join my fiance in December of this year and for us to get married in March 2018. I lived in the UK before previously as a student and left in January 2016. We have been long distance with frequent in between visits.

I want to ensure that we have everything needed for our financial requirement. My fiance makes 20,500gbp per year before taxes and has been with his employer for 12 months and we will have savings of 18,000gbp (I am not sure if the Home Office will take that into account as they will have not been held for 6 months prior to the date of application). Is this enough evidence to satisfy the requirement?

Thanks!
Dom

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: HELP & ADVICE NEEDED!!!

Post by Casa » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:54 pm

domeonga96 wrote:Hello,

I was hoping that someone might be able to assist me. I am from the US and plan on moving over to the UK on the family visa to join my fiance in December of this year and for us to get married in March 2018. I lived in the UK before previously as a student and left in January 2016. We have been long distance with frequent in between visits.

I want to ensure that we have everything needed for our financial requirement. My fiance makes 20,500gbp per year before taxes and has been with his employer for 12 months and we will have savings of 18,000gbp (I am not sure if the Home Office will take that into account as they will have not been held for 6 months prior to the date of application). Is this enough evidence to satisfy the requirement?

Thanks!
Dom
Savings must be held in an accessible account for at least 6 months and the first £16,000 is disregarded. In any event, it appears that your fiance has an income well over the minimum level of £18,600 p.a.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

domeonga96
United States of America

Post by domeonga96 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:52 pm

Thank you so much for your response. I understand that he will need to show his bank statements to satisfy the requirement. As you said the savings will be disregarded, I guess for some reason I figured if we showed proof of savings it gives them all the more reason to say yes without hesitation. Thanks again.

D

domeonga96
United States of America

FINANCIAL REQUIREMENTS QUESTION!!!

Post by domeonga96 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi all - quick question regarding my fiance meeting the financial requirements. At the time of application he will have been working at his current employer for 9 months earning £20,500 per year. His previous job he did not meet the financial requirements and I believe was making somewhere around £17,500.

Will this matter? I know that in the application previous employment info is asked for. We are planning to apply under Category A given that he has been working in salaried employment for more than 6 months. Thanks everyone for your input!

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: FINANCIAL REQUIREMENTS QUESTION!!!

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:27 pm

The most recent 6 months of payslips + the corresponding bank statements will qualify.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

domeonga96
United States of America

Post by domeonga96 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Okay thank you! And is this calculated before or after tax (the monthly payslips)?

So far he has made a minimum of 1600 before tax each month. And why do they ask for bank statements? Is this to confirm that the money was paid into his account? Also - this question is non-related to finances...

In terms of where we will be living it will be with his parents for a year until we get our own place. Apart from a letter from them confirming this is okay do we need to provide other documents & photos?

Kindest regards

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:59 pm

domeonga96 wrote:Okay thank you! And is this calculated before or after tax (the monthly payslips)? Before tax. (gross earnings).

So far he has made a minimum of 1600 before tax each month. And why do they ask for bank statements? Is this to confirm that the money was paid into his account? Also - this question is non-related to finances... Yes, as confirmation of income deposited.

In terms of where we will be living it will be with his parents for a year until we get our own place. Apart from a letter from them confirming this is okay do we need to provide other documents & photos?
If his parents rent the property - letter from the landlord agreeing to you living there.
If his parents have a mortgage - a copy of the mortgage agreement
If his parents own the property outright, a copy of the deeds.

Kindest regards
(Casa, not CR001)

domeonga96
United States of America

Success Stories for Fiance Visa UK & Giving Notice Marriage

Post by domeonga96 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi there everyone. Any success stories out there and what did you include in your applications? I am applying for my fiance visa to join my fiance in October. Any tips?

Also - we are planning our wedding for Saturday, March 10 2018 and I am concerned about how that whole process works. I called up the registry office in his county and they told me I must wait until I am in the country on my visa to go give notice, but I heard it can take up to 60 days in some complex cases. Originally I was going to wait until mid-December to move over. I am unsure how it works in the UK with booking the ceremony, but I don't want to run any risks of no availability on our date after we have put all this money into planning. Needing a little clarification in terms of timing. My plan was to apply and move over a little earlier to allow time for us to give notice and avoid any hiccups. What would be the best thing to do?

domeonga96
United States of America

Post by domeonga96 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:59 pm

Thank you for your clarification!!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Success Stories for Fiance Visa UK & Giving Notice Marri

Post by seagul » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:40 pm

You seems like extra precautious and planning far in advance. But I think the registry office might not be able to serve you because they themselves can't know/predict as what dates will be available in next 8-10 months. Fiance visa usually 6 months longer and I guess after you arrived then you will have plenty of times to give marriage notice.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

MakingItWork
Newly Registered

Re: Success Stories for Fiance Visa UK & Giving Notice Marri

Post by MakingItWork » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:35 am

domeonga96 wrote:Hi there everyone. Any success stories out there and what did you include in your applications? I am applying for my fiance visa to join my fiance in October. Any tips?

We were able to book an appointment to give notice while I was out of the country. Just called and explained we were applying for the visa and that we needed a tentative date booked. It's my understanding that this has to be done at the registry office in the county you will be resident. However when booking for the ceremony you can book it in another jurisdiction.
After that they'll send you emails of the appointment to give notice and of your marriage ceremony that you can use in you application.

Also - we are planning our wedding for Saturday, March 10 2018 and I am concerned about how that whole process works. I called up the registry office in his county and they told me I must wait until I am in the country on my visa to go give notice, but I heard it can take up to 60 days in some complex cases.

It is quite flexible as well as we changed the dates twice. First, when the visa took longer than expected, and then to fulfill the 28 days notice, the registry squeezed us in early to give notice.
With the fiancee visa the registry will not have to inform the home office and therefore the notice period will be the normal 28 days and not 70 days. But you have to be in the country for 9 days before giving notice.

Originally I was going to wait until mid-December to move over. I am unsure how it works in the UK with booking the ceremony, but I don't want to run any risks of no availability on our date after we have put all this money into planning. Needing a little clarification in terms of timing. My plan was to apply and move over a little earlier to allow time for us to give notice and avoid any hiccups. What would be the best thing to do?

domeonga96
United States of America

HELP Giving Notice/Fiance Visa

Post by domeonga96 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:48 pm

So I have a bit of a problem I'm trying to solve. My fiance who is a UK citizen and I (US citizen) are planning on getting married on 10 March 2018. We are getting ready to put our deposit down on our venue but thought about the fact that we should call the registrar's office and check availability (which we did) and they had some times available.

Only problem is that I will first need to have my visa and arrive in the UK and then give notice, etc. which was already explained to me, so we know what we need to do. Only thing is taking a leap of faith and putting our deposit down first and if we should? I know that more than likely everything will be fine. I am planning on applying for my visa in September and moving over to the UK at the end of November. Can anyone provide some input or advice? Has anyone out there personally had experience with this? We don't want to lose our spot at the venue. Is a possible solution for me to move to the UK sooner than planned to allow time to plan?

TanJL
United Kingdom

Re: HELP Giving Notice/Fiance Visa

Post by TanJL » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:42 pm

Most people chose to wait and pay deposits after their visas are approved because of the fear of losing money.

I booked an appointment to give notice at my local registry office before my fiance was in the country, I just explained that by the time of the appointment he would have legal status in the UK and would have been there for at least 9 days. Then I planned the wedding to be at least 28 days after that.
We had our wedding in the church and they accepted our booking without needing to see any other information at the time of booking, so we were able to secure that date in advance as well.

We did book and pay for a lot of our wedding in advance, so we'd paid the deposit for our venue before even sending in the visa application.
It was very nerve wracking to be honest and I understand why people wait to book everything until after the visa is approved.

We were lucky though in that when we applied from Indonesia last October, the visas were processed in Manila and the processing times were much lower. We applied with priority and based on the statistics, we had enough time to reapply if refused and still get him here in time to give notice for the wedding.

It's really a personal choice, September - March is quite a long time so you may well be fine. It's just important to be aware of the current processing times and that they're looking likely to only increase from now on.
I think you just have to be realistic and give yourself enough time to adjust if anything does go wrong.
Maybe try and get it in writing from your venue that they'll hold your deposit for you even if you need to move the date back, given your circumstances?

domeonga96
United States of America

Re: UPDATE - HELP Giving Notice/Fiance Visa

Post by domeonga96 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:11 pm

Okay so a bit of an update for everybody! Thank you so much for your insight. My fiance was actually able to reserve the date and time for our wedding date (10 March 2018). Apparently he called up the designated registrar's office closest to him and the lady that helped told him that holding it tentatively would be fine. I am coming over to the UK in August for a few weeks to visit. She said that I can come in with my fiance after being there 7 days. I thought this was only once you have your visa? But apparently according to my fiance she said it would be fine as they know I intend to come back in December on a fiance visa. She did ask though for a letter from his parents confirming that I was there a minimum of 7 days and bring also a utility bill with the payment.
I figured the info was correct as it came from the woman at the registry office herself. Any insight?

Perhaps we should reschedule our appointment to give notice for Nov/December when I plan to come over and officially have my visa? I'm just glad the date and time is reserved nonetheless..