ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizenship through ancestry

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jennygirl
Newly Registered

Irish Citizenship through ancestry

Post by Jennygirl » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:31 am

Hello all,
I have been reading the immigration website and have a question about registering for foreign births. Firstly, let me explain my situation. My grandmother is a citizen via her father Will (great grandfather). Will's parents (my great-great grandparents) Bern, and Brid were born in Ireland, as was Will. My grandmother was never registered as a foreign birth, because she was informally "adopted" by another family. Thus my father, and subsequently myself were never registered. Does this mean I cannot register myself? I was really hoping that my options were still open, as I was trying to immigrate to Ireland, before I even found out about my ancestry. Any advice is appreciated. Oh, and I am also an American citizen.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Irish Citizenship through ancestry

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:43 pm

I have edited your post to remove personal identifiable information.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bigdogjono
Newly Registered

Post by bigdogjono » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:28 pm

you can only become a citizen through the FBR if one of your grandparents was born on the island of Ireland OR if you had a great grand parent born on the island AND your parent had been added on the foreign births register BEFORE you were born.
so unfortunately if i have interpreted your post correctly it would appear that you are ineligible to apply,

(however if you do immigrate, eventually you could become a naturalised citizen after a period of years independent of your ancestry)

Jennygirl
Newly Registered

Post by Jennygirl » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:47 am

Well damn..... Thanks for the clarification.