ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Britsh Citizenshp and Knowlege of English

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mmistroni
Newly Registered

Britsh Citizenshp and Knowlege of English

Post by mmistroni » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:46 pm

HI all
i was wondering if someone can assist here as i received no help from either Home Office, Council or Citizenship ADvisors
I am an EU national married to a British citizen since 2010. I have been in the country since 2003, working as Software Engineer for British and American employers.
I want to apply for British Citizenship , and i have seen from Home Office that i need to
1 - pass Life in teh Uk test (i already passed)
2 - demonstrate sufficient knowlege of the english language

I was wondering if i can apply to some sort of dispensation for point 2: if i didnt have sufficient knowledge of the English language i would not have been hired to work in UK in the first instance, working in a field (Software Engineering) which is entirely in English.
I am not willing to pay £150 for a 10 minute chat about my life at Trinity College just to prove i can speak English, and i am not willing to go blindly to a £50 appointmetn to the Council office (my council can give citizenship) just to be told to go away and come back (paying other £50) with some sort of proof that i know English.
could anyone offer any advice here?

kind regards
Marco

secret.simon

Re: Britsh Citizenshp and Knowlege of English

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:52 pm

mmistroni wrote:I was wondering if i can apply to some sort of dispensation for point 2
Nope.
mmistroni wrote:I am not willing to pay £150 for a 10 minute chat about my life at Trinity College just to prove i can speak English
Either that or a UK degree.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:59 pm

In addition to secret.simon's advice....your local Council don't 'give you citizenship'. They simply check your application and supporting documents for validity, and forward these to the Home Office to make a decision.

Using the Council's National Checking Service (NCS) also enables you to retain your original documents, including your passport.

Do you have confirmation that you have acquired PR?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:03 pm

secret.simon wrote:
mmistroni wrote:I was wondering if i can apply to some sort of dispensation for point 2
Nope.
mmistroni wrote:I am not willing to pay £150 for a 10 minute chat about my life at Trinity College just to prove i can speak English
Either that or a UK degree.
Or forget the whole thing.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:50 pm

You demonstrate your ability to speak and understand English in very specific ways. Being hired to do a job in the UK does not demonstrate that. Swallow your pride and just do it - I am from a country where many people's native language is English and they all have to do the "test" if they cannot prove it through a degree.

Similarly, you may feel that after living in the UK for a certain number of years, you understand it quite well, but that is not the way to prove it, you prove it by sitting a test.

Just do the test - there are no ways around it unless you have a degree which was taught in English (and honestly, if I had the option of doing the test or getting a NARIC letter for that, I would just do the test).
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Post by Nimitta » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:52 pm

mulderpf wrote:Just do the test - there are no ways around it unless you have a degree which was taught in English (and honestly, if I had the option of doing the test or getting a NARIC letter for that, I would just do the test).
Can you please elaborate on that? I have a BA philosophy from UIS (United States) and considering both options, still not sure which one is better. I thought including the diploma would be enough but it does not seem so anymore. What else do I need? Some kind of certificate for NARIC confirming that BA from US university is equivalent to a UK degree (have to pay £125 plus VAT) ?
Mean what you say, say what you mean

lulu2
Newly Registered

Post by lulu2 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:46 am

Here is the guideline:

"4. If your degree was taught or researched in English

You can prove your knowledge of English by having a degree that was taught or researched in English.

If you have a degree from a UK university, you only need your original degree certificate.

If your degree isn’t from a UK university, you’ll need your original degree certificate and one of the following:

an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada)"

thsths
United Kingdom

Post by thsths » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:17 pm

No. I looked into the alternatives, and they are at least as expensive, and usually more arduous.

To be honest, the whole language test is more of a biometric exercise anyway. They take your picture, they take a voice print, and they check your passport at every single step. It is not really about your language skills.