ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

set(o) after 6 years dlr

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

angloafrican
Newly Registered

set(o) after 6 years dlr

Post by angloafrican » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:29 pm

Good afternoon,

I am a British Citizen born in 1980 with a Gambian wife.

Wife's Immigration History:

May 2008 - arrives in UK on a student visa
June 2009 - begin cohabiting as unmarried partners
September 2009 - visa extension submitted (in time)
late 2009 - visa refused, appeal submitted (in time)
spring 2010 - appeal refused, flr(o) application submitted (in time)
May 2010 - first child born
May 2011 - 3 years DLR granted (paper residence permit)
June 2011 - married
April 2014 - second child born
May 2014 - visa expires, flr(o) application submitted (in time)
August 2014 - 3 years DLR granted and BRP issued
June 2016 - third child born
August 2017 - BRP expires

I gather that we are entitled to submit a set(o) application after completing six years of discretionary leave, but I am a little clear on when exactly to submit the application. As the first leave was granted in May 2011, and we are entitled to submit an application 30 days before the end of the 6 year qualifying period, does this mean that we can submit a set(o) application in April 2016?

1. Please clarify and advise exactly when the earliest point we can make the application is.
2. Please also advise if this date is different for postal applications and those made at a peo.
3. Finally, please advise whether or not a naturalisation application can be made at the same time.

Thanks in advance for you advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: set(o) after 6 years dlr

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:53 pm

1. Please clarify and advise exactly when the earliest point we can make the application is.
No sooner than 28 days before the date that you were first granted DLR
2. Please also advise if this date is different for postal applications and those made at a peo.
Same as above.
3. Finally, please advise whether or not a naturalisation application can be made at the same time.
For who, you?? They are two different department and you need ILR before you can apply for naturalisation. There is no 'same day' service for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

angloafrican
Newly Registered

Post by angloafrican » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:47 am

CR001 wrote:
For who, you?? They are two different department and you need ILR before you can apply for naturalisation. There is no 'same day' service for citizenship.
I was hoping my wife could use the same appointment to submit a naturalisation application at the same time as her settlement application. It's my understanding that as I am a British Citizen, my wife is eligible to submit a naturalisation application as soon as she obtains ILR.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:53 pm

angloafrican wrote:I was hoping my wife could use the same appointment to submit a naturalisation application at the same time as her settlement application. It's my understanding that as I am a British Citizen, my wife is eligible to submit a naturalisation application as soon as she obtains ILR.
Yes she can, but she cannot apply in person for a same day decision for naturalisation. She needs proof of ILR to apply for citizenship.

Once she has her ILR BRP card, she can apply for citizenship provided she meets ALL the requirements. She can apply by post or use NCS at the council to apply (she gets to keep all original documents if she does this) and the NCS also has the joint citizenship and passport application scheme.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

angloafrican
Newly Registered

Post by angloafrican » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:46 pm

Do I have to pay all the fees at the time of booking the appointment or do I pay for the booking fee first, and then the application fee later?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:22 pm

You pay all the fees through the online system.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

angloafrican
Newly Registered

Post by angloafrican » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:42 pm

I understand it is best to include as much as possible, but what is the minimum supporting documentation that we will need to provide?

- wife's Gambian passport and brp
- my British passport
- kids' British passports
- kids birth certificates
- proof of address

Is the above and or anything not listed essential?

Is anything else not essential but recommended?

Thanks in advance.