ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PR card after ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Nutmeg
Newly Registered

PR card after ceremony

Post by Nutmeg » Wed May 10, 2017 9:50 pm

Hi all,

Today I attended the naturalisation ceremony and now I am officially a British citizen 8)

A question: on the website they wrote that one must return the biometric residence permit (BRP) within 5 days of the ceremony, but does not mention what has to be done with permanent residence (PR) cards (for EEA citizens).

Should I return it? And if so where should I send it to?

Thanks for the help!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: PR card after ceremony

Post by CR001 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:21 pm

No need to return a PR card. It is ILR BRP cards that need to be returned.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ribena

Post by ribena » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:48 pm

Hi all,
Reading from this post, I thought the PR card must be returned within 5 days? I got it wrong?

I'm a non-eea, RoR, with PR card issued in June 2017.

Also, my PR card that was issued is not a biometric resident permit right? One get BRP is via ILR?

goodness I'm getting confused!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:53 pm

ribena wrote:Hi all,
Reading from this post, I thought the PR card must be returned within 5 days? I got it wrong?

Also, my PR card that was issued is not a biometric resident permit right? One get BRP is via ILR?

If you have a PR and it is a card, then yes it is a BRP. EU citizens and non EU family members are not required to send them back as PR is attained automatically and is there not lost. Where ILR under the UK Immigration rules is lost/superceded once Citizenship is granted.

ILR and PR are granted under completely different sets of rules.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ribena

Post by ribena » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:01 pm

CR001 wrote:

If you have a PR and it is a card, then yes it is a BRP. EU citizens and non EU family members are not required to send them back as PR is attained automatically and is there not lost. Where ILR under the UK Immigration rules is lost/superceded once Citizenship is granted.

Good Evening CR001,
Thank you for your quick reply, wasn't expecting anyone to reply this late.

So, meaning.. When I apply for BC and then passport after, I get to keep my PR card? I definitely need to re-read the forms/guide again... Getting crossed eyes!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:07 pm

ribena wrote:
CR001 wrote:

Good Evening CR001,
Thank you for your quick reply, wasn't expecting anyone to reply this late.

So, meaning.. When I apply for BC and then passport after, I get to keep my PR card? I definitely need to re-read the forms/guide again... Getting crossed eyes!
My understanding is that it is is only in the last year or so that PR under the EU rules has been issued on BRP cards. Prior to that it was a card/paper. BRP for ILR holders have needed to be returned since late 2015/January 2016 because ILR ceases on the grant of citizenship.

british-citizenship/important-return-br ... 00820.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ribena

Post by ribena » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks again CR001, I shall read the link you provided with fresh eyes. Haha. Have a good evening.

ribena

Post by ribena » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:22 pm

ribena wrote:Thanks again CR001, I shall read the link you provided with fresh eyes. Haha. Have a good evening.
Couldn't resist till tomorrow morning.. Had a look at the form.AN and page 24/25 (had a quick look on the form today) the form says to return the BRP once granted citizenship but it doesn't specify whether BRP via ILR or via EU route.

That's why I was surprised to learn that PR card obtained via EU route can be kept after granted citizenship.

Regards,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:25 pm

ribena wrote:
ribena wrote:Thanks again CR001, I shall read the link you provided with fresh eyes. Haha. Have a good evening.
Couldn't resist till tomorrow morning.. Had a look at the form.AN and page 24/25 (had a quick look on the form today) the form says to return the BRP once granted citizenship but it doesn't specify whether BRP via ILR or via EU route.

That's why I was surprised to learn that PR card obtained via EU route can be kept after granted citizenship.

Regards,
PR status is attained automatically as I said. Not lost on being granted citizenship as PR is issued under the EEA/EU Directives. An EU citizen does not have to present PR card to enter the UK.

Not the same protection for ILR BRP card holders who cease to hold ILR under the UK immigration rules and cannot use their ILR BRP's to travel in and out of the UK once granted citizenship as ILR ceases to exist.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ribena

Post by ribena » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:28 pm

CR001 wrote:
ribena wrote:

Regards,
PR status is attained automatically as I said. Not lost on being granted citizenship as PR is issued under the EEA/EU Directives. An EU citizen does not have to present PR card to enter the UK.

Not the same protection for ILR BRP card holders who cease to hold ILR under the UK immigration rules and cannot use their ILR BRP's to travel in and out of the UK once granted citizenship as ILR ceases to exist.

Hrmmm.. And the PR status is not lost either for Non-eea with retained right to residence?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:32 pm

ribena wrote:
CR001 wrote:
ribena wrote:

Regards,

Presumably not.

Hrmmm.. And the PR status is not lost either for Non-eea with retained right to residence?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ribena

Post by ribena » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:35 pm

Interesting new news.. Thanks CR001!

Zhonor

Post by Zhonor » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:56 pm

I wasn't too sure as the lady at NCS said I have to return my card (PR under EU route) and I did as I don't want to be slap with a £1000 fine ... I read before in this forum that u don't have to but I did anyway just in case but regretting it now :(

ribena

Post by ribena » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:06 pm

Zhonor wrote:I wasn't too sure as the lady at NCS said I have to return my card (PR under EU route) and I did as I don't want to be slap with a £1000 fine ... I read before in this forum that u don't have to but I did anyway just in case but regretting it now :(
I get what CR001 is saying that PR via EU is automatic but I'm haven't really found anything (yet) in the govt.uk site or anything official that we don't hand to return our card upon gaining citizenship. I looked at the form AN (and Guide AN PAGE 20) again today page 25/30, it states that BRP must be returned to HO no later 5 days from attending the citizenship ceremony.

So I'm still unclear about this unless someone could point us the link that says we do not have to surrender our PR card(eu route).