ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can spouse settlement visa take place from a 3rd country?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dave_Was
Newly Registered

Can spouse settlement visa take place from a 3rd country?

Post by Dave_Was » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:13 am

Hello All,

I was reading Chapter 13 on the UK visas, they state:

".....As the application for entry clearance will normally be made in the country in which the marriage took place, ECOs will be well placed to determine whether a particular marriage is valid under local law....."

Now the situation with my wife is that we got married in India in Oct2006. I was living and continue to do so in the US at the time and my wife moved out to the US and is living with me here. We will continue to live here until we decide to move back to the UK. Our move to the UK will probably be in a few years but I would like to almost have everything sorted out for the application now.

When we decide to move back to the UK can we make the application from the US or will we have to do it from India?

It would be a great expense for us for my wife and I to have to go and stay in India to make the application.

From my reading it should be okay to apply for it in the US as we have been living here for over a year now, in fact we have permanent residency.

I don't see us making the application within the next year and we will be trying to wait until we get citizenship here, but I want to make sure that when we apply it's one of those straight forward, issue the visa on the day type scenarios.

I will provide proof of us living together in the US, things like visa's, drivers licences, rental agreements, etc.

Thanks,

Dave.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:23 am

No problem for a U.S. legal resident to make an application to the British Embassy in the United States.

It just means they might have to verify things with the British High Commission in India.