ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Any chance I could get a WP without going home?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ononlaw
Newly Registered

Any chance I could get a WP without going home?

Post by ononlaw » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:53 pm

Dear all,

I have a couple of question regarding to my status staying in UK and hoping you guys might be able to help me with that. Many appreications in advance.

I've living in UK for 8 years as a student, and since I graduated from university in 2003 I've been looking for a full time job. I've been told that in order to obtain a WP, I need to go home and apply for it. I wonder if that's true in my case?

In the mean time I'm also considering studying another qualification in college or university. I'd like to know I'll be eligible for applying the PR after further 2-3 years of study.

Many thanks for you guy!! :D
Andy

Ajay Kumar Singh

Post by Ajay Kumar Singh » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:56 pm

8 years in UK ?
Are you not eligble for PR/Citizenship ?

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:34 am

I've living in UK for 8 years as a student <== student, i think is 10 yrs

ononlaw
Newly Registered

Post by ononlaw » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:07 pm

I read a lot of websites, and talked to people about PR. It seems I need 10 years in order to apply for that.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:12 pm

ononlaw wrote:I read a lot of websites, and talked to people about PR. It seems I need 10 years in order to apply for that.
It is early days yet before the immigration rules are re-written.

They might clamp down on the 10year and 14 year long residence concession :oops:
Where there is a will there is a way.

ononlaw
Newly Registered

Post by ononlaw » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:17 pm

I know, I've been reading the news about that recently. And it seems it'd affect a lot of people who have been here for a long time like me and others. And I'm worry that the chance of applying for PR is getting slimmer once the law is rewritten.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:01 am

what confuses me is how the HO issues student visas for 10 yrs?

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:01 pm

olisun wrote:what confuses me is how the HO issues student visas for 10 yrs?
You get a Visa for A levels - 2 years
Fisrt degree - 3 years
Masters - 1 year
PhD -4 years

Total 10 years - many a people have used this rule before...and if you fail then you wait for another 4 years and apply under long resience 14 year rule concession,

The problem with the 10 year rule is that you would spend in excess of £150,000 pounds or so paying Univeristy/College fees and for up-keep for all those years
Where there is a will there is a way.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:23 pm

ononlaw wrote:I've living in UK for 8 years as a student, and since I graduated from university in 2003 I've been looking for a full time job.
So what visa status have you held since 2003 and how have you been supporting yourself?

ononlaw
Newly Registered

Post by ononlaw » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:22 pm

I've been living on my saving money that I've left from my study life, and as far as I know my visa has expired already. So do I qualified as an illegal immigrant? Coz I really don't know how this law thing works.....

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:53 pm

Sorry to say it, but I am positive that you are in the UK without authorization. There is no switching to WP from this one. Depending on what are your options and plans for the future, you may need to contact authorities (perhaps with a lawyer) and try to explain the reasons for your overstay; perhaps to extend the authorization retroactively to this day before departure - I am not sure what options could be available in your case. You may have jeopardized your future chances to enter the country in various categories.

It's not so much about how the law works, as about the date until which you are authorized to stay - you must have known it. Not sure how you'd explain the overstay, that's where a lawyer might help...

nyrnu
Newly Registered

Post by nyrnu » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:59 pm

1. Since you are overstayed now, you have no chance to change your visa in country.

2. If you think your prvious 8-year is kind of asset, and still want to stay in the UK and apply PR in the future, then go back to your home country asap , apply student visa (if you can get another university offer) there and come back the UK as soon as you can.

ononlaw
Newly Registered

Post by ononlaw » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:05 am

Thanks for your cooment nyrnu,

I think you're right, I've been thinking about apply for another degree or higher education in different field than my degree. Thought learn more different things and have another different degree to increase the chance of getting a good job.

Think this would be the better (or even the best ) idea for my situation