ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport expiry date?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

benbridge
Newly Registered

Passport expiry date?

Post by benbridge » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:12 pm

Hello all,

I've been looking for info on this issue, but can't seem to find any. When a foreign national is applying for a spouse visa, from outside the UK, are there any rules about how long their passport must be valid for? I mean, the visa she hopefully gets will be 2.5 years, but the passport finishes long before that.

When I've had various different tourist visas over the years to different countries, there have sometimes been rules such as needing your passport to be valid for 6 months after the visa expires, etc, but I'm not sure if UK has similar rules for spouse visas? And I guess the visa will be part of the existing passport, which might make it an issue?

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Passport expiry date?

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:19 pm

Tourist visa is a different set of rules to a spouse visa.

For a spouse visa, your passport must be valid but there is no requirement that it must be valid for at least 2.5 years.

Your visa you get initially to enter the UK will only be valid for 30 days, so you need to make sure that your passport is at least valid for however long the decision process takes plus 30 days. Once you enter the UK, you have 10 days to collect your full length visa BRP card from your nominated Post Office.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.