ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Better to marry abroad, or in the UK?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

EastLondoner
United Kingdom

Better to marry abroad, or in the UK?

Post by EastLondoner » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:00 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could offer advice.

I am in a long distance relationship - I currently live in the UK, and my partner lives in a non-EU country.
We would like to marry - with her then coming to live permanently in the UK.

With regard to the ease of getting her a visa, would it be better to get married in her country (or another country) and then apply for a spouse visa? Or is it better to for her to apply for a fiance visa, come to the the UK for the marriage and then apply for the spouse visa once married?

My preference would be the former option - to marry abroad (in her country or another country) - but I would not want to jeopardise her chances of getting of visa if it would be better to marry in the UK.

I note that one of the requirements for proving that a marriage is genuine, is evidence of living together/shared bills etc. Obviously we wouldn't be able to provide this as we reside in different countries.

Does anyone have any views, or ideally, first hand experiences?

Proving the relationship is genuine shouldn't be an issue.
Her English is above the required level.
I earn more than the minimum financial requirement.

I very much appreciated any help or advice that could be offered.

Thanks.

KatieWills
Wales

Re: Better to marry abroad, or in the UK?

Post by KatieWills » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:28 am

Are you a British citizen? If so it is up to you which option you choose, the fiance visa allows your partner to enter UK and gives you 6 months to get married before applying for FLR(M). This option means paying 2 visa fees + 1 NHS surcharge and partner can not work until FLR(M) is decided.
If you marry abroad there is no requirement to have lived together previously but you must show a subsisting relationship so evidence of visits/emails/calls/gifts etc will be required along with English language, accomodation and financial requirements.
If either of you have been previously married UKVI would also need proof that you were free to marry again, eg a decree absolute.
Suggest check out the marriage laws in partner's country of residence.
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

EastLondoner
United Kingdom

Post by EastLondoner » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:32 am

KatieWills wrote:Are you a British citizen? If so it is up to you which option you choose, the fiance visa allows your partner to enter UK and gives you 6 months to get married before applying for FLR(M). This option means paying 2 visa fees + 1 NHS surcharge and partner can not work until FLR(M) is decided.
If you marry abroad there is no requirement to have lived together previously but you must show a subsisting relationship so evidence of visits/emails/calls/gifts etc will be required along with English language, accomodation and financial requirements.
If either of you have been previously married UKVI would also need proof that you were free to marry again, eg a decree absolute.
Suggest check out the marriage laws in partner's country of residence.
Thank you Kate, that is very helpful.
Seems like getting married abroad would certainly be the easier (and cheaper!) option.

SimonS

Post by SimonS » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:40 am

My wife is from Russia and we married in Russia in April this year. Currently going through the Spouse Visa process and awaiting decision on the application.

We had all of the same questions as you when we were planning our wedding. You may find my thread useful.
immigration-for-family-members/spouse-v ... 26338.html

It's mainly about the process of marrying in Russia but there is a lot of useful, general information in there that I'm sure you willl find helpful.
I'm not an expert and only answer from my personal experience and understanding of the rules. Spouse Settlement Visa Granted for my wife July 2017. You should not take my advice as absolute.

EastLondoner
United Kingdom

Post by EastLondoner » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:45 am

Thanks Simon.