ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Safe route to avoid exit check at airports?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rawgirl
Newly Registered

Safe route to avoid exit check at airports?

Post by rawgirl » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:22 pm

hi, wonder if anyone can give advice or help?

my friend is an overstayer and has decided to return back to her home country in malaysia.

shes very worried about the exit checks at the airports and has seen a few possible routes to get home.

option 1: manchester - singapore - malaysia
option 2: manchester - dubai - malaysia
option 3: leeds - amsterdam - malaysia
option 4: east midlands - frankfurt - malaysia

any suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated!!

many thanks

frances2

Post by frances2 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:06 pm

I think 3 or 4.

These airports are small.

I'd probably opt for the Amsterdam, and make it a Friday when the rest of the passengers will be going for stag/hen weekends.

The ones from Manchester are long haul, and will always attract a bit more attention.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:47 pm

Not East Midlands, they searched me and confiscated my very expensive screwdriver kit!

They let me on with it at Glasgow...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:38 pm

Wanderer wrote:Not East Midlands, they searched me and confiscated my very expensive screwdriver kit!

they searched you because the metal detector went off or you looked suspicious to them???

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:41 pm

SYH wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Not East Midlands, they searched me and confiscated my very expensive screwdriver kit!

they searched you because the metal detector went off or you looked suspicious to them???
They searched EVERYONE, was weird, I flew to and from NEMA several times back then and I always found the staff to be right bastards.

Glasgow was great - but then again, Glasgow ended up with a car embedded in the front door.....

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:42 pm

Wanderer wrote:
SYH wrote:

They searched EVERYONE, was weird, I flew to and from NEMA several times back then and I always found the staff to be right bastards.

Glasgow was great - but then again, Glasgow ended up with a car embedded in the front door.....
Then it probably was a random security measure. I wouldnt take it as something they normally do.

chem1
Newly Registered

Post by chem1 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:50 pm

Why dont you just take the eurostar to Brussels or Paris and fly from there. I swear those guys looking at the passports upon entry into mainland europe give hardly a glance at your passport.

a12345
BANNED

Post by a12345 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:21 pm

how about Manchester.........i think that should be alright !!!!! even if u get caught...hopefully not.....just explain to the home office offical and that should work provided that you are a genuine guy and did not intend to overstay when you first arrived in uk

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 pm

SYH wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
SYH wrote:

Then it probably was a random security measure. I wouldnt take it as something they normally do.
None of that has anything at all to do with immigration checks. At smaller airports it's just possible there may be a police officer (not an IO) looking at people going into departures. Their concern is crime and anti-terrorism, and they may not bother about an overstayer who is leaving.

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:01 pm

silly question, but why do people who want to return, overstay in the 1st place?

if you didnt want to go back, then I can understand.

but if you are going back - why mess up your cances of readmission, by staying on?

johnboy096

Post by johnboy096 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:15 pm

a12345 wrote:

how about Manchester.........i think that should be alright !!!!! even if u get caught...hopefully not.....just explain to the home office offical and that should work provided that you are a genuine guy and did not intend to overstay when you first arrived in uk
Manchester has very strict control as it's now coming upto No.3 on the airport list after Heathrow and Stansted.

Their Border and Immigration are very good.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:27 am

johnboy096 wrote:
a12345 wrote:

Manchester has very strict control as it's now coming upto No.3 on the airport list after Heathrow and Stansted.

Their Border and Immigration are very good.
I'd agree with this, even I got questioned after my last trip to Russia and I'm squeaky clean!

mads

Post by mads » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:21 am

My best bet would be Leeds Bradford airport, the majority of passengers are Brits arrriving or leaving. I have just come back from a holiday in Cape Town. We got diverted to Manchester and I was questioned extensively by the IO even though I have been here for three years.
Good luck.
mads
Partner: British Citizen; Me: SA with ILR (qualified through spouse visa). Updated March 2009 - naturalised.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:50 am

mads wrote:My best bet would be Leeds Bradford airport, the majority of passengers are Brits arrriving or leaving. I have just come back from a holiday in Cape Town. We got diverted to Manchester and I was questioned extensively by the IO even though I have been here for three years.
Good luck.
mads
Bet most of them are whites leaving, never to return :lol: :lol:

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:11 am

gollywood wrote:silly question, but why do people who want to return, overstay in the 1st place?

if you didnt want to go back, then I can understand.

but if you are going back - why mess up your cances of readmission, by staying on?
Good question, but I guess because life is not always as simple as it might be, and people sometimes make decisions (or allow things to happen without actively making any decision) and later come to regret them (or wish that they had done things differently)...

Happy the person who has no regrets in life! However, in all things we have to start from where we are now: there is no other choice, really.

lapppt

Post by lapppt » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:53 am

How about leaving through a small airport to Ireland (Dublin) and connect from there? Do they do random checks to people flying to Ireland?. Do Irish immgration officials stamp passport of people who are on transist?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:54 am

lapppt wrote:How about leaving through a small airport to Ireland (Dublin) and connect from there? Do they do random checks to people flying to Ireland?. Do Irish immgration officials stamp passport of people who are on transist?
The Republic of Ireland operates immigration checks on flights inbound from the U.K.

There are sporadic checks on the land frontier.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:30 pm

lapppt wrote:How about leaving through a small airport to Ireland (Dublin) and connect from there? Do they do random checks to people flying to Ireland?. Do Irish immgration officials stamp passport of people who are on transist?
This is the best idea, imo.

UK airports do not check flights to, or from, Ireland.

Consider East Mids to Cork with Ryanair (cheap), then Cork to Malaysia (via Amsterdam) with KLM.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:08 am

benifa wrote: This is the best idea, imo.

Consider East Mids to Cork with Ryanair (cheap), then Cork to Malaysia (via Amsterdam) with KLM.
Irish officials conduct passport checks on incoming passengers from the United Kingdom.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:35 am

JAJ wrote:
benifa wrote: This is the best idea, imo.

Irish officials conduct passport checks on incoming passengers from the United Kingdom.
Yes they do, however the passenger is merely transiting. Malaysian citizens do not require a transit visa for Ireland.

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:41 pm

If she's going back what does it matter what route she takes?

And if she's going back presumably before 1 October 2008..er.. what does it matter which route she takes?

If she's going back with the intention of returning..Liam Bryne has already committed in writing to having periods of overstaying "amnestied" for those who return home between 17 March and 1 October 2008.

If Entry Clearance Officers don't adhere to this, the UK will have more people overstaying and the whole exercise will simply become a dismal non-vote catching PR failure.
Oh, the drama...!