ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI / Indian Passport Surrender Queries

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Raj1978
Newly Registered

OCI / Indian Passport Surrender Queries

Post by Raj1978 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:36 pm

Hi there,
I am facing a rather strange problem. I went to surrender my daughter's indian passport as she has Received her British passport. She is born here and has received the British passport through registration rather than naruralisation. The issue is, I am being asked for naturalization certificste. What should I do?? I have no clue. Phoned home office and they clearly stated that they will not provide a certificate as it's a Registration. Any help much appreciated!
Thanks a lot!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: OCI / Indian Passport Surrender Queries

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:38 pm

Children get a Registration Certificate.

Adults get a Naturalisation Certificate.

You only need to submit the Registration certificate, which is the same thing but for children. They both give the same status, just called a different name.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Raj1978
Newly Registered

Post by Raj1978 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:54 am

CR001 wrote:Children get a Registration Certificate.

Adults get a Naturalisation Certificate.

You only need to submit the Registration certificate, which is the same thing but for children. They both give the same status, just called a different name.
thanks a lot for the reply. But I haven't been provided with one. I was sent the passport straightaway. Just wondering Is it only me who haven't received one or are there anyone else?

Are you referring to certificate of birth and certified copy of an entry certificates?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:20 am

Was she born AFTER you got ILR or before?

What did you do mean 'British through registration?

Did you apply for her on form MN1 to register her as BC?

When did you get the passport?

Registration as British citizen has nothing to do with birth certificate or birth registration after birth.

You will need to be more clear with information in your post.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Raj1978
Newly Registered

Post by Raj1978 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:02 am

apologies for the confusion, let me be more clear..
My daughter was born when i was on a work visa in 2013. she had to go to India so we applied for an Indian passport for her in 2014, as she was not entitle for British passport then (nether me not my wife were on ILR when she was born). I got my British passport last year (my ILR granted in 2015 and got naturalised in 2016), and then I applied for British passport for my daughter through Form MN1 (Application for registration of a child under 18 as a British Citizen). she got her passport with out any registration certificate.
as per Indian legislation dual citizen ship is prohibited so I wanted to surrender my daughter's Indian passport and then apply for OCI (Overseas citizen of India) card for travelling in and out of India.
so When I went to surrender the passport, i was asked for Naturalisation certificate for my daughter. I clearly specified that she was not naturalised but was registered (as she was born in UK and I have since become a British citizen).
how should i bring a naturalisation certificate for my daughter when she was registered but not naturalised? will the home office provide registration certificates just like naturalisation certificates?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:31 am

You should have received the certificate if registration by post in a brown A5 envelope (looks like junk mail) or with her documents if you posted the application yourself. If you applied for MN1, did you apply for the passport separately or using the joint application service through NCS?

If you never received one, then you will have to fight with HO about this and they might want evidence otherwise you will have to pay to get a duplicate.

When did she actually received her passport (date)?

As I have already stated if you have or had a registration certificate then this is all you need.

Are you sure it has not been put somewhere by your spouse?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Raj1978
Newly Registered

Post by Raj1978 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:40 am

We applied for a joint service. she received her passport in March of 2017.
It was me who opened the envelop and it only had a passport. looks like the registration certificate has been lost in the transit. i shall contact home office straight away.
thank you very much!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:04 am

The cerrtificate and passport are NOT sent together as they come from different departments.

You would have received the certificate separately in a brown A5 envelope. The certificate looks identical to yours except it says registration and not naturalization.

Has your spouse applied for BC?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Raj1978
Newly Registered

Post by Raj1978 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:37 pm

My wife has just applied for the 2nd period of ILR dependent visa. she came to UK in 2008 so she should be eligible for ILR based on long term stay, in 2018 (provided that visa is still issued then).

I am sure i did not receive any envelop apart from the passport. so i guess i would have to fill in the issue duplicate certificate form with a covering letter explaining the case.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:44 pm

Like I said, it looks similar to junk mail. It also probably arrived either shortly before or shortly after the passport by standard 3nd class post.

Not noticing for so long that you haven't got the certificate might work against you as you have not raised this with HO.

Quite expensive for a duplicate too.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Raj1978
Newly Registered

Post by Raj1978 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:49 pm

very true.
I tried calling the home office but just cant get hold of them even after staying on the line for 25-40 minutes.
I shall fill the duplicate certificate requisition form and include a covering letter stating the scenario. if i am lucky i would be issued with one for free, or else i would have to just pay for it.

Raj1978
Newly Registered

Post by Raj1978 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:08 pm

Oh my god! its 234 pounds for a replacement certificate! we haven't been issued with one on the first place! how should i make this point clear?? if not for the surrender the Indian passport incident, i wouldn't have known that there is something called Certificate of Registration as a British citizen!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:40 pm

Raj1978 wrote:Oh my god! its 234 pounds for a replacement certificate! we haven't been issued with one on the first place! how should i make this point clear?? if not for the surrender the Indian passport incident, i wouldn't have known that there is something called Certificate of Registration as a British citizen!
Surely you must have known there would be a certificate when applying to register child as British (equivalent to your naturalisation)? You got one so why should it be any different for your child.

This is why I said that not reporting this to HO sooner, could well work against you as HO might take the view that you lost or damaged it and want a freebie to avoid paying that fee. It is the certificate that is proof of citizenship. Passport is just a travel document.

It can also take a few weeks/couple of months to get a duplicate certificate.

Are you sure it is not somewhere in a pile of post or something? Have you asked your spouse??
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Raj1978
Newly Registered

Post by Raj1978 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:07 pm

As much un-convincing as it may sound, I am honestly telling you that I was really ignorant of the existence of such certificate till now.
i received my naturalisation certificate at the end of my ceremony and not through post. more over i did not receive any letter as a heads up about this certificate of registration. I feel that the home office should have at least let me known that such a thing would be posted.

I am positively sure that we didn't receive it. expensive stuff such as these should have been sent via recorded delivery rather than by std post. why not! we are paying fortune to get naturalised/registered.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:18 pm

Did you get a letter of approval for the child?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Raj1978
Newly Registered

Post by Raj1978 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:26 pm

Yes, but I am pretty certain that nothing about this certificate was stated on that.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:47 pm

Are you sure the certificate wasn't in the same envelope?

What did you do with the letter and the envelope?

Just got my daughters' document/letter out. The letter and the certificate came together in a single A4 envelope ( I know this now as the letter has NOT been folded at all).

The letter is dated 2 days after the date of the Certificate of Registration and the letter says:

British Citizen
Jane Doe

We are pleased to enclose a certificate of registration as a British Citizen. The effective date is shown at the bottom of the certificate. It should be kept in a safe place as it is a valuable document and may be needed as evidence of citizenship, for instance, when applying for a passport. Please note this certificate should not be altered or defaced in any way, for example by laminating it, as this will not be accepted if applying for a passport.

Please check the certificate carefully. If any details are incorrect, you should return the certificate to this office as soon as possible, explain what needs to be amended and provide documentary evidence to support the change.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Raj1978
Newly Registered

Post by Raj1978 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:50 pm

Oh my god! I wouldn't have missed such a thing if I received it. And with my OCD I would have laminated it by now and put it in a locker for safety. I received an envelope with the passport. It was a small brown coloured one. Looks like the passport and the certificate were supposed to come separately. In my case I apparently received only one.
Last edited by Raj1978 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:52 pm

What letter did you receive and what exactly did it say?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Raj1978
Newly Registered

Post by Raj1978 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:59 pm

I have disposed off it as It didn't appear to be important. Surely it didn't mention of any certificate.
It a mistake, I should have kept it.

Raj1978
Newly Registered

Post by Raj1978 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:03 pm

I am sending off a letter to the home office tomorrow. If its destined that I will have to pay then no body can change it! I will have to pay!
Let's see

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:04 pm

Oh dear!! Always keep documents from HO/HMPO, you never know when you will need them.

You won't know if it ever was received and thrown out in error.

You said you received an approval letter?

What you get with the passport is not that. The approval letter would have come from HO in Liverpool, whereas HMPO process and send the passports.

You have no other option but to request a duplicate certificate. Do you have the acknowledgement letter or biometric letter from HO with the case reference number on?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:06 pm

There is a form you have to complete, if you haven't seen it yet.

https://www.gov.uk/get-replacement-citi ... ertificate
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Raj1978
Newly Registered

Post by Raj1978 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:15 pm

Just been through all the documents and I only one I have from UK govt posted to my daughter is the dvla disability living allowance for her.
You are absolutely right, it's a mistake I will regret for eternity! I should have kept the envelope and passport covering letter if any

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:24 pm

I have all my important documents (passports, birth certs, marriage cert, divorce papers, citizenship certs, all HO app copies etc) in a lock box, in an easily accessible spot with all my very old, irreplaceable and sentimental heirlooms, easy to get to and grab if there is a fire for example.

Logging off for the night. Am sure all will work out but be prepared for a wait for the duplicate cert.
Char (CR001 not Casa)