ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

BrexitHater
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by BrexitHater » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:31 pm

KeMcS wrote:
BrexitHater wrote:I got that very same email today! :)
When did you apply Brexithater??
Documents received in London a few days before Christmas. Got sent to Dublin due to volume of applications, etc.

Celticatheart
Newly Registered

Post by Celticatheart » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:05 am

KeMcS wrote:So today I received an email response saying my application had been approved and all documents would be sent back in the next few weeks! Thank god! :D

No won to passport application. At the minute it says a turnaround time of 14 weeks(minimum) for first time applicants :o
Does anybody know if we first time applicants can use the passport express service in Liverpool? And if so doesn't it get processed in accordance to those turnaround times or still the first time applicants?

Many thanks in advance x
Yes you can. I was a first time applicant and applied via the Glasgow passport express. Submitted to post office on 10 June and received yesterday , 6 July. Applied online yesterday for my passport card and currently at printing stage.

Word of warning on passport tracker- mine was received on 13 June and it automatically gave a target issue date of 13 September (3 MTHS). I tried querying it via contact form but didn't receive reply. The tracker will stay at 'processing' stage for ages then rapidly go through 'printing' stage and then dispatch.

Bluey105

Post by Bluey105 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:51 am

KeMcS wrote:So today I received an email response saying my application had been approved and all documents would be sent back in the next few weeks! Thank god! :D

No won to passport application. At the minute it says a turnaround time of 14 weeks(minimum) for first time applicants :o
Does anybody know if we first time applicants can use the passport express service in Liverpool? And if so doesn't it get processed in accordance to those turnaround times or still the first time applicants?

Many thanks in advance x
Does that mean that you would have no passport for up to 3 months as you'll need to send your foreign one as well?

jimbucktoo
Newly Registered

Post by jimbucktoo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:40 am

I was a first time applicant, last year; and applied via the Liverpool office. They do not send off your UK passport---instead they take a photocopy of it and certify that it was indeed you who presented it. Another thing (which caught me out) is that the photos required for an Irish passport differ in size from the UK standard. The bloke at the counter was helpful, in that he directed me to a nearby Staples were I could ask for Irish sized photos. But also, I had to have the photos certified by a solicitor (again, office was walking distance)---which cost me £15. So, my advice, to save money and stress, is get the proper sized photos beforehand.

Celticatheart
Newly Registered

Post by Celticatheart » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:57 am

Bluey105 wrote:

Many thanks in advance x
Does that mean that you would have no passport for up to 3 months as you'll need to send your foreign one as well?
You only send a certified copy of the passport, not the original.

BrexitHater
Newly Registered

Post by BrexitHater » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:11 pm

So... the postman has just been, and made me a very happy bunny!

Date of entry... 15 June 2017.
Letter dated... 27 June 2017.

This was for my application which was received in London on 16 December 2016 before being sent to Dublin.

So, give or take a few days... it was a 7 month turnaround.

Has anyone else received theirs today/this week?

Michjmc
Newly Registered

Post by Michjmc » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:09 pm

I am pleased to say the postie delivered my FBR certificate today!!

Timeline.

22nd december - my application received in London.
26th June - my certificated dated
5th July - letter dated
14th July - I received my certificate .

Good luck to all of you still waiting!

EireAdmirer
Newly Registered

Post by EireAdmirer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:56 pm

Boston Area - I received my certificate. Following is my timeline.

Timeline:
March 7, 2017: Submitted application online and paid fee
March 21, 2017: Documents received in Dublin (confirmed in May by email request)
June 21, 2017: Date of entry into the FBR
June 27, 2017: Letter dated
July 3, 2017: Documents received

It does appear to be a bit quicker applying from the US. I'm a USA citizen who applied from Boston online and sent docs to Dublin.

water_tank1
Ireland

Post by water_tank1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:03 am

Hey guys,

I handed my Foreign births application in to the Cork office last week.
I also asked the application time once handed in.
The lady told me 2 - 5 weeks at most depending if all the requested are handed in.
I had to ask twice becuase i had been reading huge delays on applications from people on here.

See what happens to my application and if i can get my certificate within 5 weeks as the lady told me.

jimbucktoo
Newly Registered

Post by jimbucktoo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:29 pm

water_tank1 wrote:Hey guys,

The lady told me 2 - 5 weeks at most depending if all the requested are handed in.
I had to ask twice becuase i had been reading huge delays on applications from people on here.

See what happens to my application and if i can get my certificate within 5 weeks as the lady told me.

I shall be interested to hear when your registration completes.

Michjmc
Newly Registered

Post by Michjmc » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:17 pm

Hi all

Does anyone know if you can you both Glasgow or Liverpool for passport express- I'm in London and I find it's cheaper to fly to Glasgow than getting train to Liverpool.

Thanks

BrexitHater
Newly Registered

Post by BrexitHater » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:37 am

Michjmc wrote:Hi all

Does anyone know if you can you both Glasgow or Liverpool for passport express- I'm in London and I find it's cheaper to fly to Glasgow than getting train to Liverpool.

Thanks
Yep that's right. See: https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenshi ... xpress/#uk

happilychilled
Newly Registered

Post by happilychilled » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:28 am

Are you a resident in Ireland water_tank1? If so, I'm wondering if that's why they predicted such a quick turn around

Michjmc
Newly Registered

Post by Michjmc » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:00 am

BrexitHater wrote:

Thanks
Yep that's right. See: https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenshi ... xpress/#uk

That's great, I just wanted to double check before I Book my flight !
Thank you.

water_tank1
Ireland

Post by water_tank1 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:48 pm

happilychilled wrote:

Are you a resident in Ireland water_tank1? If so, I'm wondering if that's why they predicted such a quick turn around
Thats correct. I'm a British citizen living in Ireland and i did expect the same delay of upto 6 months due to the backlog. Will see what happens in the next 5 weeks.

selkie
Newly Registered

Post by selkie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:42 pm

charlespoppy wrote:Hi everyone,

I qualify for Irish citizenship via my mother's father, who was born in Ireland.
The problem is that I am not in contact with my mother, and have no way of getting a copy of her ID. Is there any possible way to get around this problem ?
Hi Charlespoppy,
I sent in my application with my dad's bc but not with his current ID and they sent me an email requiring I provide his current ID. I was really happy that my Dad went the same day and had it fedexed to ireland. He really loves me:) I didn't want to bother him as he is older and a bit demented(cranky) but I was always his favorite and it felt so good that he was there as he was always for me. I haven't felt as close to him since the dementia. But I love him and that's why I didn't bother him for it, but when he heard they needed it I didn't even know as I was in Croatia and found out from my mom afterwards that he went immediately when he heard I needed something. It felt great to have him back like that.:)
Listen, they will ask for it because you must prove descendance, so I advise you go to your mother and tell her you need this, that it is urgent. I hope she will do this for you. They will require it. All the best to you. Tati <3

selkie
Newly Registered

Post by selkie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:37 pm

Okay here's my situation:
I am a U.S. citizen
I applied on February 7, 2017 online from Turkey
Sent my application fedex to Dublin from Turkey February 2017
I received an email in May/June don't know exact date requesting a notarized copy of my Dad's passport which I hadn't included; I did include a note stating he has dementia and so I didn't make him go to the notary.
Dad sent in his notarized passport via fedex from USA the same day as the email was received.
I emailed and called July 10, 2017 and was told and emailed that "it was in process for decision."

I think it is clear that when processed through an American embassy the response time is faster; however since I applied from Turkey, I was advised to send it straight to Dublin. Also, I sent mine in February with the Brexit rush.

Cannot wait to be registered so I don't have to travel with a U.S. passport anymore which is very dangerous given Trump's incoherent rants on any particular country at any time. :roll:
I am applying specifically to use the Irish passport for travel as that's what I do for a living.
I cannot wait until I receive my FBR!!!! :)

I need to go to Iran in a few months and need to use my Irish passport. :shock:

selkie
Newly Registered

Post by selkie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:40 pm

selkie wrote:
charlespoppy wrote:Hi everyone,

I qualify for Irish citizenship via my mother's father, who was born in Ireland.
The problem is that I am not in contact with my mother, and have no way of getting a copy of her ID. Is there any possible way to get around this problem ?
Hi Charlespoppy,
I sent in my application with my dad's bc but not with his current ID and they sent me an email requiring I provide his current ID. I was really happy that my Dad went the same day and had it fedexed to ireland. He really loves me:) I didn't want to bother him as he is older and a bit demented(cranky) but I was always his favorite and it felt so good that he was there as he was always for me. I haven't felt as close to him since the dementia. But I love him and that's why I didn't bother him for it, but when he heard they needed it I didn't even know as I was in Croatia and found out from my mom afterwards that he went immediately when he heard I needed something. It felt great to have him back like that.:)
Listen, they will ask for it because you must prove descendance, so I advise you go to your mother and tell her you need this, that it is urgent. I hope she will do this for you. They will require it. All the best to you. Tati <3
Charlespoppy,
Alternately, I believe you can obtain an affidavit stating that for a legal reason you cannot obtain your mother's identification. But it needs to be a desperate situation because if there is any way you can obtain it, they will want it. Additionally, if I were in your situation I would ask an attorney what I could do. I wasn't in a dire situation. I knew perhaps my mother could take him to get it notarized or he could go himself if need be, but I didn't want to pressure him. He had a heart attack in November and I just want him to rest and not have to do anything complicated.

bigdogjono
Newly Registered

Post by bigdogjono » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:17 pm

[quote="BrexitHater"][quote="Michjmc"]Hi all

i have just applied from passport express glasgow. it is worth noting that on top of the advertised 70 quid passport fee , there are aditional charges ("acceess fee" and the price of a self adressed special d envelope) making an application cost 88 pound for an adult and 44 for a child. Hardly a deal breaker but it is nice to be told. You can only use the one post office in glasgow, located near buchananstreet subway. when in glasgow its worth climbing 'the lighthouse" for free for the best views of city.see tripadvisor

selkie
Newly Registered

Post by selkie » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:15 pm

bigdogjono wrote:
BrexitHater wrote:

i have just applied from passport express glasgow. it is worth noting that on top of the advertised 70 quid passport fee , there are aditional charges ("acceess fee" and the price of a self adressed special d envelope) making an application cost 88 pound for an adult and 44 for a child. Hardly a deal breaker but it is nice to be told. You can only use the one post office in glasgow, located near buchananstreet subway. when in glasgow its worth climbing 'the lighthouse" for free for the best views of city.see tripadvisor
Hey,
Thanks for the travel tip! Next time I am in Glasgow I will definitely climb the lighthouse. :D

Nobbie
Newly Registered

Post by Nobbie » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:08 am

Nobbie wrote:I have finally received my FBR confirmation.

This took 7 months from submission (London Embassy) to receipt. Now to apply for the actual passport.

Any idea how long it will take to get the passport, I'm hoping with the recent FBR approval and therefore checks that this should be much more straightforward and therefore a lot quicker?

Thanks
I finally had confirmation that my Passport has been posted back to me. This has taken 12 weeks. Adding on the the 7 months for the FBR process, it's taken a grand total of 10 months!

msry5cw2
Newly Registered

Post by msry5cw2 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:33 am

Just to help others in the same situation, I applied through my grandparents, submitted application on 21st Nov in London, had no contact until 15th June when I emailed regarding my application. FBR Cert was posted from Dublin on 8th June, so I would have received it a week later (I didn't received it until the 16th July due to the wrong post code being used by the Dublin Office) but really it was a 7 month process with no contact in-between.

shazbot82
Newly Registered

Post by shazbot82 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:00 pm

I'd be grateful someone can help with the following.

I have tried querying the Embassy using the online form at https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/great- ... r-queries/ but no luck...unless there is a special email address for Registry queries you know of?

1. I take it the "certified copy" you get from the General Register Office counts as an original birth certificate? I lost my original years ago.

2. Regarding proof of address, I am currently renting a friend's room while I find a permanent place to live so do not have any recent bills in my name. Therefore, I use my mother's address in the UK for correspondence. Would any of the following count as proof of address: travel insurance renewal letter; student loan letter; letter from bank confirming residence?

3. Has anyone submitted a translation for their application? I have to send my mother's divorce document, which is in Spanish. I've translated this myself as well as I could (I lived in L.America for 3 years + studied Spanish at uni) and included a statement of "true and accurate translation", which I was going to ask my solicitor to certify. Will this suffice, or are they likely to want a "certified" translator to do it? I read there is no central authority for translation in the UK, so anyone can self-certify their translation, even if they're not a qualified translator, question is if the Registry are ok with this. Also, do I need to include her marriage document too (she didn't remarry)? The website wording implies it's not necessary.

Thanks

selkie
Newly Registered

Post by selkie » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi Shaz,

I am going to provide you with information to the best of my knowledge but I have been wrong before as I did not know about the agreement between Britain and Ireland hich states that there is no need for permits to reside on each other's shores.

There is a proper contact form on the Ministry of Foreign Trade's website. You must "click" on contact, then choose the FBR photo from the options offered. They have answered my queries in two days or fewer. However, if you need to speak with someone directly you may call the offices on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10am and 1pm Dublin (Greenwich) time and they will assist you. The man I spoke with, Mel, was so pleasant.

You cannot translate your mother's document;, it must be translated by an unbiased third party, a certified translator by profession as this is a legal transaction.

I had my passport notarized in Turkey and assumed I needed to have the transaction translated since it needs to be clear and documented in English. The notary office provided me with names of certified translators and I hired a professor/translator to translate the document.

I am an English-Spanish translator as I lived abroad in a Spanish speaking country as a child(my father was a banker now retired); I would not translate my own document in a legal process, because I am a biased party and obviously it will not be valid.

Your "certified" birth certificate is a copy of the original in the file of the county offices of your birth city. It is rare for those to have their originals. My grandmother does but she saves EVERYTHING.:D

Proof of address may include: medical bills, bank statements, and utility bills.
All the best.

shazbot82
Newly Registered

Post by shazbot82 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:53 pm

Thank you for your detailed reply. The website is quite a labyrinth but I see how it works now.

The documents required are fairly straightforward although I'm not sure what to do about proof of address as I don't get paper statements from the bank or have any bills in my name at present. Options: take on the bills myself temporarily? Join a gym? Book a dentist appointment and get the bill sent? I will contact FBR in any case.