ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British and U.S. passport possible?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jimmys
Newly Registered

British and U.S. passport possible?

Post by jimmys » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:22 am

My mother was born in England. when she was 19 she married my American father at the end of WW2, moved to America and i was born in America, basically a war baby. My mother has become an American citizen only a few years ago to make sure her SS and services would get to her OK. i am now living in Thailand as a retiree.

My question is, can i get a British passport with proof my mother was an English citizen [and still may be, don't know] for 70 years +-. my mothers family still lives in England. If so what documents do you require?

thank you for your help

James

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:54 am

As a "war baby" now enjoying retirement in Thailand, you are likely born far in advance of 1961. If that's the case, then you are definitely not a British citizen by descent. You have no advantages over any other US citizen without UK ties. If you want a UK passport, you will need to get one only by living in the UK following an employment or spousal route.

The source of this depressing news is the following:
Prior to 1983, as a general rule British nationality could only be transmitted from the father through one generation only, and parents were required to be married. See History of British nationality law.

With effect from 30 April 2003, a person born outside the UK to a British mother may be entitled to register as a British citizen by descent if that person was born between 8 February 1961 and 31 December 1982. However those with permanent resident status in the UK, or entitled to Right of Abode, may instead prefer to seek naturalisation as a British citizen which gives transmissible British citizenship otherwise than by descent.
Last edited by RobinLondon on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:59 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

jimmys
Newly Registered

Post by jimmys » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:22 am

II was born 1947 in america. at the time my mother was a British Citizen and lliving in the states for a year

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:14 am

jimmys wrote:at the time my mother was a British Citizen and lliving in the states for a year
Yeah, but unfortunately, that brings you no joy. In 1947, papa had to be British for the child to be too. Not mama. And they had to be married. That was changed in later years, but that doesn't help earlier births who remain caught out.

But hey, you're enjoying retirement in Thailand. That must be a wonderful consolation!

jimmys
Newly Registered

Post by jimmys » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:00 am

RobinLondon wrote:
jimmys wrote:at the time my mother was a British Citizen and lliving in the states for a year
Yeah, but unfortunately, that brings you no joy. In 1947, papa had to be British for the child to be too. Not mama. And they had to be married. That was changed in later years, but that doesn't help earlier births who remain caught out.

they were married at the time. mmmmm isnt that sexist now, only papa

But hey, you're enjoying retirement in Thailand. That must be a wonderful consolation!
Yep it sure is