ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependent visa-10 years rule

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sheng
Newly Registered

Dependent visa-10 years rule

Post by Sheng » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:51 pm

I've been holding a student visa for 9 years and am thinking of applying for ILR under the 10 years long residency. However, I am thinking of switching to a dependent visa. My question is, can the time spend in the UK under the dependent visa counted inside the 10 years for me to be eligible for the ILR?

Thank you.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:14 pm

It's ten years of legal residence, so yes, that would count.

costa

Post by costa » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:12 am

If you want to apply based on 10-yead long stay and need to switch your status now, you better apply in the UK and in person.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:29 am

Switches outside the UK may be considered as breaking the continuity of Long Residence (2.1.3). If it affects you, try to get written confirmation of their policy beforehand.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:44 am

paulp wrote:It's ten years of legal residence, so yes, that would count.
This is going to be tricky, usually the applicant is refused ILR if he / she applies on his own while holding a dependents visa...

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:18 am

olisun,

I totally disagree with you. If someone applies for ILR on the basis of 10yrs long stay it does not matter whether that person is on dependent visa or not while applying for ILR.

have you got any document that supports your statement?

costa

Post by costa » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:50 am

one of my friend successfully got ILR based on 10-year student visa+ dependent visa long stay. although that's 1.5 years ago

lawful stay = whatever visa your hold

The picky home office will only survey if there is any gap during 10-year and what factor to cause the gap happen? by home office or by applicant? that's it.

Sheng
Newly Registered

Post by Sheng » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:06 am

vinny wrote:Switches outside the UK may be considered as breaking the continuity of Long Residence (2.1.3). If it affects you, try to get written confirmation of their policy beforehand.

Thanks everybody. I am very grateful.

Just got an email reply from HO and it says in the letter that I am not able to switch my student visa into dependent visa in the UK. I will have to travel back to my home country and apply to the nearest British Post.

The situation is getting more and more confusing.

1. As Vinny has suggested that switching visas outside the UK may be considered as breaking the continuity of residency, so switching might not be an option for me if I am applying ILR.

2. My Fiancé and I are from different countries. If I really want to switch my visa then which country will do it for me? :shock:

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:20 am

Which country is your Fiancé from? What is his immigration status?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Sheng
Newly Registered

Post by Sheng » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:32 am

He's got a HSMP