ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen Visa required? (complicated situation; plz help)

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

A.Jay
Newly Registered

Schengen Visa required? (complicated situation; plz help)

Post by A.Jay » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:15 am

Hello everyone,
I hope that someone can help me on my questions. My situation is as follows:

I am a German (born in Tajikistan) and am married to a Vincentian (St.Vincent), who is stationed in Germany with the British Army ( residence permit only by/through the army).

We would like his youngest brother (also Vincentian) to visit us this summer and I am confused about what visa he needs and what requirements he has to meet in order to obtain a visa for Germany; so here are my questions:

1) If he will only spend time with us here in Germany, does he still need to apply for Schengen Visa? If not, what visa will he then have to apply for? (the webpage for the german foreign ministry does only state the requirements for Schengen Visa in detail, thats why it makes me think that my brother in-law needs a Schengen Visa, even if not visiting other Schengen countries)
(also the english version of the german foreign ministry webpage only states the Schengen Visa for entering/visiting Germany)

2) the so-called "Verplflichtungserklärung" (letter of sponsorship) states that the person giving/signing such a document would provide the daily living expenses for the visitor, as well as medical treatment and if necessary travel costs back to his country...
Now, why does the visitor have to get a health insurance if with the letter of sponsorship one(in this case my husband and i) guarantees those costs?

3) the already mentioned health/travel insurance:
Does it have to be taken out by the applicant or can we do that for him from here? And if only visiting Germany, does the health insurance still have to cover the wide range of countries as stated for Schengen Visas and the amount of 30.000 Euros?

4) when applying for visiting visas, the applicant must prove that there is an intention of returing back to his/her own country, right? but then, at the same time, we cant book the flights if not having the visa, so how to prove that intention?

5) the "ausländerbehörde" i contacted concerning the letter of sponsorship said that they need the last 3 "abrechnungen": are those to be the account statements or what? they also said to bring the "mietvertrag": is that just to prove that we have a roof above our heads? if so, why isnt my german ID enough? and who has to sign this letter of sponsorship if it´s both of us (my husband and i) who will provide food etc.?

I think that those are the main questions haunting my head. I hope they arent too confusing :oops:
Looking forward to your answers and would like to thank everyone in advance for the help. THANKS!

cantaro

Re: Schengen Visa required? (complicated situation; plz help

Post by cantaro » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:27 am

Off the top of my head: for visiting purposes, there are no more national visa within the Schengen space. A visitor visa for one Schengen country automatically entitles the holder to visit all Schengen countries. Therefore any health insurance must be valid for the entire Schengen space. I suppose you could purchase the health insurance in your husband's brother's name; it will be all right as long as it covers his medical expenses. The intention to return can be proven by demonstrating family links, work contract, ownership of property, and other commitments at home; the more, the better. "Abrechnungen" will probably be "Lohnabrechnungen", i.e. monthly statements of income: they want to know whether you are financially capable of supporting your guest. "Mietvertrag" is certainly to prove you have a roof over your head, and the space is suitable to accommodate your guest. If you own your house, take those papers instead. Since both you and your husband are receiving the guest, you should both sign the letter.

mym
Member of Standing

Re: Schengen Visa required? (complicated situation; plz help

Post by mym » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:49 pm

Hello, I'll cover these ones:
A.Jay wrote: 1) If he will only spend time with us here in Germany, does he still need to apply for Schengen Visa?
Yes.
2) why does the visitor have to get a health insurance if with the letter of sponsorship one(in this case my husband and i) guarantees those costs?
In case the insurance does not cover it.
3) the already mentioned health/travel insurance:
Does it have to be taken out by the applicant or can we do that for him from here? And if only visiting Germany, does the health insurance still have to cover the wide range of countries as stated for Schengen Visas and the amount of 30.000 Euros?
It does not matter, as long as he has cover. Most insurances cover the whole EU anyway.
--
Mark Y-M
London

A.Jay
Newly Registered

Post by A.Jay » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:36 am

Thanks guys, for your help...I guess I don`t have any choice, but to tell my bro to apply for the Schengen Visa *sigh*

To be honest, this is a rip off of money, because the national visa costed 30 Euros, the Schengen Visa costs 60 plus 25 for the letter of sponsorship...

However, thanks again... :)