ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GNIB card renewal and citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bobu2kadu

GNIB card renewal and citizenship

Post by bobu2kadu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:18 am

Hi.

I have applied for citizenship and now my gnib card is up for
Renewal. I have two questions

Will I get a temp stamp 4 based on my pending citizenship
Application ?

Can I email a scanned copy of my gnib card and stamp on passport to the citizenship office for their records ?

Warm Regards
Bobu

Alixlboy
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: GNIB card renewal and citizenship

Post by Alixlboy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:19 pm

Yes, you should be given a temporary stamp and Yes - you can send them your up to date copy of the temp stamp.

bobu2kadu

Post by bobu2kadu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Thanks Alex

Just one more query . My wife has a dependent visa . She will need to renew that . Could you also confirm this

Warm Regards
Bobu

broli
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ireland

Post by broli » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:11 am

bobu2kadu wrote:Thanks Alex

Just one more query . My wife has a dependent visa . She will need to renew that . Could you also confirm this

Warm Regards
Bobu

HI , Nothing change until you are officially an irish citizen with a certificate of citizenship .
So business as usual.

bobu2kadu

Post by bobu2kadu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:41 pm

Thanks Broli,

This makes sense. Thanks for your response. Much appreciated.

Warm Regards
Bobu.

Tatalo
Ireland

Post by Tatalo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:27 am

by the way, does this temp stamp cost 300 euro? for each you and your wife?

Thanks

Mal111
Member of Standing
Mood:
India

Post by Mal111 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:18 am

Hi Bobu2kadu

1) you will not get a stamp on ground that you have a citizenship app pending, citizenship office is very clear that the onus is on applicant to keep their status up todate however if you previously held a visa I-e work permit, work visa or married to irish or eu citizen you can extend your visa based on that.

2)if your going through eu treaty right path then no otherwise yes you have to pay the 300.

Alixlboy: your advise is partial and incorrect please be care full posting you opinion some people really take these post as legal advise even though they shouldn't they are only opinion not advise.
also your opionon to broil in another post was incorrect as your time is not counted from when they started to processes your application for citizenship its counted from the date you and your solicitor sign the application if I am applying il wait 5 days and make sure my time is correct hell il wait 2 more days to be 100% certen that my time count is perfect :mrgreen: :mrgreen: we all know very well citizenship office is really busy they have a backlog you don't want your documents back after 2 months only to advise you to apply again.

Mal111
Member of Standing
Mood:
India

Post by Mal111 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:20 am

sorry spell certain wrong :lol:

Alixlboy
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Alixlboy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:39 pm

Technically speaking, I don't have any objection on the first answer that you have given. It is very obvious that you can not give an argument to INIS that you need your stamp extended because you have a pending citizenship application. I was under the impression that the asker has already applied for PR and he has also not got the PR approved. If that is the case, normally people are given temp stamp , which can of course be sent to the citizenship office.

So what you said is what I said briefly and in a comprehensive way. I haven't seen any people who applied for citizenship and didn't apply for PR, so I was unable to mind-read.

Plus, it's is always good to be careful, however, only if there is a need to.

Your application will not be returned, so there is nothing to worry about.

If you know that someone s application for citizenship was returned because there was a gap of 5 days between the time he got INIS letter and when he got the actual stamp in his passport, feel free to share your sources.

My information was based upon experience of my friend, who did not get the 6 months temp stamp in his passport, and still got his citizenship application approved in just 5 months based on the INIS letter.

So I don't agree with you on the second point.

INIS are busy, but you cannot make up rules for them, unless they have told something clearly. INIS letter is a proof of when your residence started based on eu stamp 4.

bobu2kadu

Post by bobu2kadu » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:50 pm

Thank you Mal111.

I already have a stamp 4 . Is PR something different. I was not aware . Can you confirm. I think based on the discussing I can safely assume I need to pay to get my stamp 4 extended even if I have the citizenship application pending

Warm Regards

Mal111 wrote:Hi Bobu2kadu

1) you will not get a stamp on ground that you have a citizenship app pending, citizenship office is very clear that the onus is on applicant to keep their status up todate however if you previously held a visa I-e work permit, work visa or married to irish or eu citizen you can extend your visa based on that.

2)if your going through eu treaty right path then no otherwise yes you have to pay the 300.

Alixlboy: your advise is partial and incorrect please be care full posting you opinion some people really take these post as legal advise even though they shouldn't they are only opinion not advise.
also your opionon to broil in another post was incorrect as your time is not counted from when they started to processes your application for citizenship its counted from the date you and your solicitor sign the application if I am applying il wait 5 days and make sure my time is correct hell il wait 2 more days to be 100% certen that my time count is perfect :mrgreen: :mrgreen: we all know very well citizenship office is really busy they have a backlog you don't want your documents back after 2 months only to advise you to apply again.

Alixlboy
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Alixlboy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:07 pm

PR stands for Permanent Residence. Normally people apply for 10 years PR as well as citizenship at the same time (once they have completed 5 years residence).
I am not a 100% sure, but if you are living with your EU spouse, you might be able to get your stamp 4 extended for another 5 years on the GNIB counter (that's something that I have only heard about some of the people on EU FAM Stamp 4, however, I'm not sure if that's really possible or not). The best thing would be to double check with the GNIB/INIS, in my opinion.

bobu2kadu

Post by bobu2kadu » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks Alix

Will check with them.

Warm Regards
Bobu
Alixlboy wrote:PR stands for Permanent Residence. Normally people apply for 10 years PR as well as citizenship at the same time (once they have completed 5 years residence).
I am not a 100% sure, but if you are living with your EU spouse, you might be able to get your stamp 4 extended for another 5 years on the GNIB counter (that's something that I have only heard about some of the people on EU FAM Stamp 4, however, I'm not sure if that's really possible or not). The best thing would be to double check with the GNIB/INIS, in my opinion.

Mal111
Member of Standing
Mood:
India

Post by Mal111 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:08 pm

bobu2kadu what is the base of your visa ie eufam, work permit, married to irish citizen or stamp 4 with other reasons?

bobu2kadu

Post by bobu2kadu » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi Mal111,

I came to ireland on a two year green card scheme in 2011. I was given a stamp 4 after that in 2013 and got it renewed in 2015.

Warm Regards
Bobu
Mal111 wrote:bobu2kadu what is the base of your visa ie eufam, work permit, married to irish citizen or stamp 4 with other reasons?

bobu2kadu

Post by bobu2kadu » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:37 pm

Green card work permit .

Mal111
Member of Standing
Mood:
India

Post by Mal111 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:09 am

this permanent residence path do not applies to you permanent residence is for eu citizen and there family member only.

you can simply apply for long term residence once granted its like an indefinite it last till the expiration date of your passport once passport renewed it can be renew by simply going to the gnib office, and yea INIS may give you an extension meanwhile your long term residence application is processed as your living in Ireland for over five years give you a right of residence. you will have to pay the 300. make sure your visa is kept up to date in the duration of your citizenship application as citizenship office have a copy of your GNIB card the day your visa will finish they will request an up to date gnib card and hold your app until you provide them.

alixlboy: you can not go to GNIB office and request a 5 year extension you have to apply again by filling EU1 form or apply for permanent residence however you may go to gnib to request a temporary extension for the period of your application process.

Alixlboy
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Alixlboy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:57 am

That must be how people get a 5 years extension then I.e. by filling an EU1, rather than applying for PR.

Alixlboy
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Alixlboy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:04 am

What do you think about people with retained right of residence i.e. people who get divorced/separated? Can they also fill an EU1 upon expiry of their 5 years stamp 4 EU FAM or do they only have the option of applying for the PR?
What's your opinion? Have you seen any such cases?
I asked this question before as well, however, nobody could give an answer on this forum at that time.

bobu2kadu

Post by bobu2kadu » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:42 pm

Thank you Mal111,

Really appreciate your help in giving these inputs to me. I think I am much clear about the process now.

Warm Regards
Bobu
Mal111 wrote:this permanent residence path do not applies to you permanent residence is for eu citizen and there family member only.

you can simply apply for long term residence once granted its like an indefinite it last till the expiration date of your passport once passport renewed it can be renew by simply going to the gnib office, and yea INIS may give you an extension meanwhile your long term residence application is processed as your living in Ireland for over five years give you a right of residence. you will have to pay the 300. make sure your visa is kept up to date in the duration of your citizenship application as citizenship office have a copy of your GNIB card the day your visa will finish they will request an up to date gnib card and hold your app until you provide them.

alixlboy: you can not go to GNIB office and request a 5 year extension you have to apply again by filling EU1 form or apply for permanent residence however you may go to gnib to request a temporary extension for the period of your application process.