ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SALA OVERTURNED BY COURT OF APPEAL NO LONGER GOOD LAW

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

raz2

Re: No right of appeal against refusal of residence card to

Post by raz2 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:19 pm

UT refused my permission to appeal , they didn't accept arguments on sala no right of appeal on EFM.

Shell i apply directly to the CA, although i made new application before together with appeal
Plz suggest me what option have to be taken, further fight or just relay on fresh application.

how long the court of appeal respond ?

fresh application have no respond after payment taken, a month passed, is there any issue due to appeal n application together ?

plz reply, thanks

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed May 10, 2017 5:47 pm

The option is open for you to appeal to the COurt of Appeal.

There are 2 cases pending in regards to Extended Family members. One is SM(Algeria), which is before the Supreme COurt. There is also the case of SALA, which is pending in the case of Khan, that is due to be heard on the 11-12 July 2017.

It may make sense to file an appellant's notice, if SALA is the only basis for refusal.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

raz2

Post by raz2 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:09 pm

Obie wrote:The option is open for you to appeal to the COurt of Appeal.

There are 2 cases pending in regards to Extended Family members. One is SM(Algeria), which is before the Supreme COurt. There is also the case of SALA, which is pending in the case of Khan, that is due to be heard on the 11-12 July 2017.

It may make sense to file an appellant's notice, if SALA is the only basis for refusal.

Right, I try to go for permission to Appeal directly to the CA,

Could may i know what documents required for sum the appeal directly ?

Also concern my fresh application since more than a month passed never heard any thing about is there any issue?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed May 17, 2017 12:10 am

raz2

Post by raz2 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:33 pm

Thanks for reply the reference CJEU( UK v Banger C-89/17|) i made in my appeal grounds.
but refused permission on the following reasons.

1) Given the permission to appeal to the upper Tribunal was only granted on the sala point (Sala EFMs: Right of Appeal) 2016 UKUT 00411 (IAC) i.e whether as an extended family member the appellant had any right of appeal to the First -tire Tribunal (FtT), it is not clear why the Deputy Upper Tribunal judge DUTJ said that he was not bound by the grant of permission and went on to determine the ground of appeal upon which the permission was not granted.

Be that as it may , Sala decided that the appellant did not have a right of appeal to the FtT. It is a reported decision of the Upper Tribunal and DUTj was entitled to follow it.That the Sala may not have been reported at the time of the hearing before the FtT is not to the point. the appellant either did or did not have a right of appeal at the time and based on sala he did not.

that permission to appeal to the court of Appeal has been granted in relation to sala and that the UT| has made a reference to the CJEU ( UK v Banger C-89/17) does not reveal any arguable error of law on the part of the DUTj, and the grounds in support of this application do not advance any argument in terms of why the decision in Sala is wrong.

The ground do not establish that there is any properly arguable point of law capable of affecting the outcome of appeal or that the appeal raises an important point of principle or practice, or that there is any other compelling reason for the appeal to be heard.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plz guide me where i am standing and is there any argument which may allowed my permission to appeal.

raz2

Post by raz2 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:24 am

Court of Appeal have granted permission in a challenge to Sala, on the
case reference, pakistan C9/2016/4413. might it would be help others. if any body can find out more details regarding the case please share.

raz2

Post by raz2 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:16 pm

raz2 wrote:
The reference CJEU( UK v Banger C-89/17|) i made in my appeal grounds.
but refused permission on the following reasons.

1) Given the permission to appeal to the upper Tribunal was only granted on the sala point (Sala EFMs: Right of Appeal) 2016 UKUT 00411 (IAC) i.e whether as an extended family member the appellant had any right of appeal to the First -tier Tribunal (FtT), it is not clear why the Deputy Upper Tribunal judge DUTJ said that he was not bound by the grant of permission and went on to determine the ground of appeal upon which the permission was not granted.

Be that as it may, Sala decided that the appellant did not have a right of appeal to the FtT. It is a reported decision of the Upper Tribunal and DUTj was entitled to follow it.That the Sala may not have been reported at the time of the hearing before the FtT is not to the point. the appellant either did or did not have a right of appeal at the time and based on sala he did not.

that permission to appeal to the court of Appeal has been granted in relation to sala and that the UT| has made a reference to the CJEU ( UK v Banger C-89/17) does not reveal any arguable error of law on the part of the DUTj, and the grounds in support of this application do not advance any argument in terms of why the decision in Sala is wrong.

The ground does not establish that there is any properly arguable point of law capable of affecting the outcome of the appeal or that the appeal raises an important point of principle or practice, or that there is any other compelling reason for the appeal to be heard.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plz, guide me where I am standing and is there any argument which may allow my permission to appeal.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat May 20, 2017 6:23 pm

Well i just believe you need to file an appellant's notice, and wait for the outcome of Khan.

The Court of Appeal is staying cases pending the outcome of Khan.

I am associated a 2 cases in which the Only reason for the appeal not being allowed is Sala, a COurt of Appeal judge has issued an order staying the application, and notifying the Home Office that it will grant permission to appeal, if they were to find in Khan that Sala was wrongly decided.

It is up to you what step you propose to take.

Frank001
Newly Registered

Post by Frank001 » Sun May 21, 2017 1:09 am

After 2.5 years i got my visa, firstly was refused after case was dismissed because of SALA ,made fresh application and succeeded.thnx to forum and specially OBIE and all members .

raz2

Post by raz2 » Mon May 29, 2017 1:07 pm

Re Applied: 10 th April 2017
Fee deducted 13th April 2017

Since then i haven't received anything from HO, waiting for Biometric from nearly 6 weeks.
Background Facts:
Previously i had i applied in March 2015, which was refused and i appealed, my version was accepted from FTT (13/09/2016) unfortunately the Sala Case reverse FTT decision( no jurisdiction to here) in the favour of HO later on UTT. I seek to permission from UTT which is recently refused, now i plan to seek permission from CA.

My two case is going on same time,is the HO deliberately not looking on my new Re Application ?
Is there any link in my parallel case , or they have on eye for my upcoming response of follow up my appeal ?

faizan7889
Newly Registered

Post by faizan7889 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:26 pm

Applied for EEA FAMILY PERMIT AS EXTENDED FAMILY MEMBER IN 31 AUGUST 2015

GOT REFUSAL FROM ECO ON 18 SEPTEMBER 2015

APPEAL AGAINST THE DECISION IN FTT ON
6 OCTOBER 2015

APPEAL LISTED ON 1 JUNE 2017

APPEAL ALLOWED ON 12 JUNE 2017
FROM FTT JUDGE

HOME OFFICE APPLIED PERMISSION TO APPEAL AGAINST FTT DECISION ON 21 JUNE 2017

Can anyone tell about this situation what will become regarding this matter?

Waiting for kind replies from page members.

Kind Regards for page members

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:34 pm

There is no right of appeal for extended family members at present. Therefore the tribunal will set the decision aside, unless the appeal coming up on the 14th July at the court of Appeal succeeds.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Well, the hearing commenced today, in Khan, but the 3 Lord Justices had to adjourn it.

The AIRE was granted permission to be an Intervener. However some late submissions were made, which one of the Judges has not had the opportunity to go through.

The COurt maintained the order for expedition, ordered that the case be heard before the new term in OCtober.

The indicated that correspondence was sent to the Supreme COurt as to whether they wish to deal with the Jurisdictional issue in SM, but no reply has been forthcoming.

The judges were really excited, and disappointed that the matter did not proceed today, however in light of the developing argument from counsel for the intervener, the court felt it could not proceed.

So not a good day.

It does not seem the panel of judges were particularly impressed with the Upper Tribunal, based on their body language and the comments i heard from them.

The apologised to Mr Khan for the inconvenience caused to him, but told him it was necessary for them to go through, and address all the argument advanced before them.

We shall see how it goes. That is it from the court today.

Imran_Mushtaq
Newly Registered

Post by Imran_Mushtaq » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi Guys,
I would like to thank you all of you to share their views/experience and aid to others. I also would like to share my case update / experience.
My sister and brother in law are Italian nationals and residing in UK since 2015. I am financially dependent on my sister and her husband. So I applied in last year (April) for EEA family Visa from Pakistan which got refused and appeal against the decision of home office in May,17. Appeal allowed by FTT and my hearing was secluded on 18 July, 2017.
On hearing we came to know there is two options: if we insist judge to proceed the hearing then it will be declined as per SALA reference and second option is that wait SALA reference final conclusion as it is pending in court of appeal.
At this stage i wish reapply rather than to wait the SALA's case outcome. I would like to know from the forum: should i reapply from Pakistan? if yes...! then as we know that EEA regulation has been revised and in clause # 8 of EFM a new point # 7 is added.

[img]
"(7) In paragraphs (2) and (3), “relative of an EEA national” includes a relative of the spouse or civil partner of an EEA national where on the basis of being an extended family member a person—

(a)has prior to the 1st February 2017 been issued with—
(i)an EEA family permit;
(ii)a registration certificate; or
(iii)a residence card; and
(b)has since the most recent issue of a document satisfying sub-paragraph (a) been continuously resident in the United Kingdom."
[/img]

if i reapply for this case then will this new point affect my case? can i reapply in Pakistan beside appeal which is pending in UK? if my case will again rejected by the embassy then will it affect on previous appeal?
Requesting from the forum about their views. thank you.

DestinyChild

Post by DestinyChild » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Hello Forum Members, I have just returned to this forum after my EFM EEA Appeal was not heard by the Judge on Tuesday 25th of July 2017 at the First Tier Tribunal. The Judge dismissed my case based on SALA. My sponsor and I were very upset because we felt our Lawyer should have known about the Sala Ruling that is now making many Extended Family Member Appeals invalid. We did not even spend more than 8 mins in the Court Room before my hearing was dismissed for lack of jurisdiction.

I want to know what the Status of Extended Family Members of EEA Nationals is at the moment. Can EFM be detained and deported/removed due to there being no right of appeal for them again? Can a EFM become illegal in the UK? What is the status of people like me now? Another thing is that my Residence was revoked and I was given a right to appeal the decision of the UKVI. My case is not an Application issue but it is based on my fight to get my Residence Card reinstated. We prepared a very strong challenge to the decision to revoke my Residence Card but my appeal was not listened to due to the Sala ruling.

What nest steps can I take now? I need some very good advice. Thanks.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:52 pm

THe judge who made that decision appears to have erred in law.

You continue to have a right under Regulation 7(3), unless and until the Tribunal rules that the revocation was correct, and the burden will be on the Secretary of State.

Sala in my opinion is not applicable to a case of that nature, and it is unfortunate that those representing you did not raise that point.

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:06 am

DestinyChild wrote:Hello Forum Members, I have just returned to this forum after my EFM EEA Appeal was not heard by the Judge on Tuesday 25th of July 2017 at the First Tier Tribunal. The Judge dismissed my case based on SALA. My sponsor and I were very upset because we felt our Lawyer should have known about the Sala Ruling that is now making many Extended Family Member Appeals invalid. We did not even spend more than 8 mins in the Court Room before my hearing was dismissed for lack of jurisdiction.

I want to know what the Status of Extended Family Members of EEA Nationals is at the moment. Can EFM be detained and deported/removed due to there being no right of appeal for them again? Can a EFM become illegal in the UK? What is the status of people like me now? Another thing is that my Residence was revoked and I was given a right to appeal the decision of the UKVI. My case is not an Application issue but it is based on my fight to get my Residence Card reinstated. We prepared a very strong challenge to the decision to revoke my Residence Card but my appeal was not listened to due to the Sala ruling.

What nest steps can I take now? I need some very good advice. Thanks.
Rights of appeal in European cases are governed by reg.36 of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2016. Reg.36(1) gives a right of appeal against an “EEA decision”. EEA decisions are in turn defined in reg.2(1) as a decision concerning a person’s entitlement to be issued with or have renewed, or not to have revoked, a registration certificate, residence card, derivative residence card, document certifying permanent residence or permanent residence card... but does not include a decision to refuse to issue a document under ... 17(5) (issue of a registration certificate to an extended family member) or 18(4) (issue of a residence card to an extended family member).

Apologies for the lengthy legal blurb but this is an important point: decisions to refuse to ISSUE a EFM registration certificate/card are non-appealable. However, decisions to REVOKE are not excluded from the scope of appeal rights. The decision in Sala was based on the use of the word “entitlement” in reg.2(1). The Tribunal was of the opinion that, since extended family members were merely eligible for a discretionary benefit, they did not benefit from a legal entitlement under EU law, as a close family member would. Once an EFM certificate/card has been issued, however, a legal entitlement does arise, even if it did not exist before. I agree with Obie therefore that the Tribunal seems to have been wrong in law, albeit for slightly different reasons. The Tribunal has jurisdiction to revisit a previous decision and should be asked to do so in this case for error of law in relation to jurisdiction.

mrsliyai
Newly Registered

Re: No right of appeal against refusal of residence card to EFM

Post by mrsliyai » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:24 pm

Have there been any updates on the Khan case?

Imran_Mushtaq
Newly Registered

Post by Imran_Mushtaq » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:35 am

My hearing was on 17 July 2017 against refusal to issue a EEA family permit to an EFM.
On hearing day due to SALA case my solicitor requested to FTT to pending my appeal till SALA case conculded and FTT agreed on it.
On 8 August 2017, received a letter from FTT to describe why my appeal keep pending? My solicitor responded to FTT as SALA case is a wrong decision and it is still not concluded so.
On 14 September 2017, we received a notice from FTT that my appeal has dismissed on SALA grounds and give the rights to appeal to Upper Tier Tribunal.

I just want to know what should i do?
If there is not appeal rights agains EFM then why FTT gave rights to appeal to UTT?
Either i reapply or proceed my this old case which is before the SALA case?
Thank you.

Danish7137
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Danish7137 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:52 am

Hi.
I married in Feb 2015 with european national. I applied visa on eea basis in July 2015. I had an interview by home office in oct 2015 and refused due to some incorrect answera. I went to first tier who also refused my visa on marriage of convenience assumption. I appealed in uper tribunal who also refuse dmy visa.
I have excersied my all appeal rights and now I have just one option to go for Judicial Review. We are living togther since I married and in Feb 2018 it will be 3 years of my married life. We planned to have baby but I am just scared to be deported if and just because of this scarcism I cant have my babies. While my wife is confident if we have babies, Home Office cant deport u.
Can anyone advise me If should I go for judicial review and how much chances are likely to be in my favour.
Thanks

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:05 pm

Breaking new: The Court of Appeal has overturned Sala. They ruled that the 2006 Regulations does confer a right of appeal.

eeaprneu2

Post by eeaprneu2 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:20 pm

Obie wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:05 pm
Breaking new: The Court of Appeal has overturned Sala. They ruled that the 2006 Regulations does confer a right of appeal.
I can't find it online anywhere but great news, thanks for sharing Obie.

Just curious though, does this apply to refusal of Family Permit for Extended Family Members (sister in my case) as well? or is that only for residence card once EFM is in the UK?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:36 pm

It was an EXTEMPORE judgement that was given immediately upon conclusion of the hearing.

Also see:

shakib030390
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: SALA OVERTURNED BY COURT OF APPEAL NO LONGER GOOD LAW

Post by shakib030390 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:55 pm

@Danish may I know where are you from and where is your finance from? What isctge issue ukba raise?

Obie
Ireland

Re: SALA OVERTURNED BY COURT OF APPEAL NO LONGER GOOD LAW

Post by Obie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:13 pm

How we overturned Sala in the Court of Appeal wrote: The Court of Appeal (Etherton MR, Longmore LJ, Irwin LJ) heard the appeal against the findings in Sala yesterday. Those findings, briefly, are that by virtue of the discretion available to a decision-maker under regulation 17 of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006, a decision on an application under regulation 8 is not a decision which concerns the applicant’s entitlement to be issued with a residence card. Therefore it is not an “EEA decision” under regulation 2 and so is not appealable under regulation 26.

Our position for the appellant was the same as the appellant’s position in Sala: that the regulations provide a right of appeal against an adverse decision on a regulation 8 application which is an EEA decision. The Secretary of State’s position had changed, however, from her position in Sala before the Upper Tribunal, when she agreed with our present position. She now contended (as is consistent with her updated guidance and the 2016 Regulations) that there is no right of appeal.

The court, having adjourned the matter in July, had allocated a day prior to the hearing for pre-reading. Evidently this time had been well spent because the court had established a road-map of the issues upon which they wanted to be addressed. They wanted to hear submissions on interpretation of the 2006 Regulations in isolation – i.e. without reference to the directive/treaty – before deciding if they needed to hear anything else.

Our submissions took us to just before lunch. The court, particularly the Master of the Rolls and Irwin LJ, were perplexed with the drafting of the regulations (not the first time the courts have had issues with the drafting of regulations, rules or legislation in this jurisdiction).

The respondent’s submissions started before lunch. We broke for lunch after the respondent’s lead counsel (Brian Kennelly QC) suggested that regulation 21, despite specifically referring to EEA decisions under that regulation, did not mean that a decision under that regulation was an EEA decision.

After lunch the court heard a submission from the respondent that the reference to public policy grounds in regulation 20 had no connection to the public policy grounds in regulation 21. Counsel was then asked, in the absence of direct authority to support his position, whether he had had any submissions to rebut the provisions referred to by the appellant.

The court (particularly Longmore LJ) enquired why the respondent’s position had changed from the submissions she made in Sala. Specifically, Longmore LJ asked what it was about an extended family member having a right of appeal that scared the Home Secretary. This, being a policy decision, was not within the remit of her counsel to answer.

I pause here to suggest that the policy behind this change of heart goes to the underlying ‘hostile environment’ that the Home Secretary (and her predecessor) wishes to create for certain immigrants. The fewer rights of appeal that exist, the lower the number of ‘migrants’ that will be able to fully pursue any legitimate claims to remain in the country.

There was an interesting concession from Brian Kennelly QC that the 2016 Regulations were drafted as a result of the decision in Sala. There was a brief reply from lead counsel for the appellant, Ramby de Mello, following which the court decided to rise to consider how best to proceed. After a short period they re-entered and informed us that the appeal would be allowed on the interpretation ground. They did not need to hear from us on the other grounds – those grounds included matters relevant to a challenge to the 2016 Regulations, if necessary.

The effect of the decision is that all those appeals pending under the 2006 Regulations should now be able to proceed. Those that have resulted in notices of invalid appeal will need to be challenged. This point may be slightly academic now, in the sense that only the 2006 Regulations are directly affected, but the path to a challenge to the 2016 Regulations now exists.

A written decision is to follow so watch this space for further detailed analysis.

Before closing I would like to make a brief comment about the camaraderie I have witnessed at the Bar whilst dealing with this appeal. From Declan at Landmark Chambers (counsel in Sala), to Zane and Parminder at 12 Old Square, Alex at One Pump Court (formerly at Mansfield 1 Gray’s Inn Chambers), both Ramby and Manjit at No5 (and probably others) and Colin through this blog, many people have been very open to brainstorming ideas about properly formulating this challenge. The Bar is a competitive place but it is good to see that so many people can work together to achieve an ultimately beneficial end.