ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I marry in the UK or Dr

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jderie
Newly Registered

Do I marry in the UK or Dr

Post by Jderie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi all I'm a uk national and live in London I have a boyfriend in the Dominican Republic we are planning to get married next year and he will move to the uk too. However I'm quite confused which is the better option as to place of marriage. Either would suit us but I'm just put off by the long procedure of having all my documents plus affidavits translated into Spanish it just sounds like a headache. Both my partner have good jobs in respective countries his company have services all other the UK finding work with them or similar company wouldn't be difficult. I earn a little more in comparison and have no problem supporting him until he finds work. In my head I think the costs are similar I just don't want him to be alone in the uk on our wedding day but it's gonna cost me more flying back and forth and then eventually him back to the uk. I would do the recommended option. Thanks in advance for any help with this

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Do I marry in the UK or Dr

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:07 pm

If you marry in your applies for a fiance visa you will need to factor in the following costs:
Visa fee = £1464
+
After the wedding FLR(M) visa from within the UK = £933 (postal application) or £2054 (in person application) + £500 NHS surcharge for both options.

If you marry in your fiance's home country and apply for a Spouse Settlement visa you will only have one application @ £1464 + £600 NHS surcharge
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:11 pm

Casa wrote:If you marry in your applies for a fiance visa you will need to factor in the following costs:
Visa fee = £1464
+
After the wedding FLR(M) visa from within the UK = £933 (postal application) or £2054 (in person application) + £500 NHS surcharge for both options.

If you marry in your fiance's home country and apply for a Spouse Settlement visa you will only have one application @ £1464 + £600 NHS surcharge
Quick correction, while you make some tea, Premium Service FLR(M) is £993 plus 590 = £1583 plus IHS.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:14 pm

CR001 wrote:
Casa wrote:If you marry in your applies for a fiance visa you will need to factor in the following costs:
Visa fee = £1464
+

Quick correction, while you make some tea, Premium Service FLR(M) is £993 plus 590 = £1583 plus IHS.
Thanks Char...I knew I should have used a calculator. :oops:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Jderie
Newly Registered

Post by Jderie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:23 pm

Gosh you guys are so good I thought I just needed the marriage visitor visa but I think marrying in the Dominican is undoubtedly the better option plus I'd have a better reception than you guys so much.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:26 pm

Jderie wrote:Gosh you guys are so good I thought I just needed the marriage visitor visa but I think marrying in the Dominican is undoubtedly the better option plus I'd have a better reception than you guys so much.
Be careful...the much cheaper Marriage Visitor visa would only permit your fiance to enter the UK for a maximum 6 months and then after marrying, leave the UK.

If you do decide to marry abroad he would have to apply for a Fiance visa which wouldn't require him to return to his home country once you are married.

Also bear in mind that if you marry in the UK, until the FLR(M) spouse visa is granted after you are married, he will be unable to work in the UK. You may want to consider paying the additional fee of £590 for an in-person application submitted at a PSC, where applications are generally decided on the same day. A postal application can take up to 3 months to process.
(Casa, not CR001)

Jderie
Newly Registered

Post by Jderie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:34 pm

Ok let me get it clear we get married in DR after the wedding go to the embassy apply for a same day application for the spousal settlement visa? Once done and a success I can book a flight for him and he returns with me

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:41 pm

Jderie wrote:Ok let me get it clear we get married in DR after the wedding go to the embassy apply for a same day application for the spousal settlement visa? Once done and a success I can book a flight for him and he returns with me
There is no 'same day' service overseas. Same day service refers to applications made within the UK.

1. Marry in DR

2. Apply for a spouse settlement visa, likely through the agent VFS, with all the original supporting documents. It is an online application, which includes paying the Immigration health surcharge.

3. The process can take many weeks or a few months.

4. Once visa is granted, it will be valid for 30 days only and he must enter the UK within that time and then once in the UK, within 10 days collect his biometric residence permit from your designated post office.

Do you meet the financial requirement of at least £18,600pa?

Your future spouse will also require A1 English test from an HO approved test provider.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Jderie
Newly Registered

Post by Jderie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:55 pm

Ok I get it and yes I earn more then £18,600 the English test he will pass I also teach English to adults so he will be ok in that respect. One other not sure if you would is it better that I take my birth certificate and statutory declaration with me to give notice of marriage or can I do that here in the Uk without having to go there.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:59 pm

You would need to follow the requirements of the DR authorities in terms of notice to marry.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

FXR_1340
Member of Standing
Scotland

Post by FXR_1340 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Casa wrote:
Jderie wrote:Gosh you guys are so good I thought I just needed the marriage visitor visa but I think marrying in the Dominican is undoubtedly the better option plus I'd have a better reception than you guys so much.
Be careful...the much cheaper Marriage Visitor visa would only permit your fiance to enter the UK for a maximum 6 months and then after marrying, leave the UK.

If you do decide to marry abroad he would have to apply for a Fiance visa which wouldn't require him to return to his home country once you are married.

Also bear in mind that if you marry in the UK, until the FLR(M) spouse visa is granted after you are married, he will be unable to work in the UK. You may want to consider paying the additional fee of £590 for an in-person application submitted at a PSC, where applications are generally decided on the same day. A postal application can take up to 3 months to process.
Reading this has me rather worried.

"......Be careful...the much cheaper Marriage Visitor visa would only permit your fiance to enter the UK for a maximum 6 months and then after marrying, leave the UK.

If you do decide to marry abroad he would have to apply for a Fiance visa which wouldn't require him to return to his home country once you are married......"

My understanding is a Fiance Visa once granted allows the foreign partner to enter the UK to marry and the wedding to take place within 6 months. After that, (the day after the wedding?) a visit to the nearest visa office with the relevant papers and fee including health surcharge and 'on the day' fee, and a visa can be issued to allow the newly married foreigner to remain in UK for 2.5 years. At that point another application is made to extend for a further 2.5 years.

My understanding is there is no need for the newly married foreigner to leave the country.

Also why is it necessary to apply for a Fiance Visa once the wedding has taken place? "......If you do decide to marry abroad he would have to apply for a Fiance visa which wouldn't require him to return to his home country once you are married......."

I hope I have not misunderstood.......or I have been barking up the wrong tree.

Grateful for some clarification.

Jderie
Newly Registered

Post by Jderie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:56 pm

FXR_1340 wrote:
Casa wrote:

"......Be careful...the much cheaper Marriage Visitor visa would only permit your fiance to enter the UK for a maximum 6 months and then after marrying, leave the UK.

If you do decide to marry abroad he would have to apply for a Fiance visa which wouldn't require him to return to his home country once you are married......"

My understanding is a Fiance Visa once granted allows the foreign partner to enter the UK to marry and the wedding to take place within 6 months. After that, (the day after the wedding?) a visit to the nearest visa office with the relevant papers and fee including health surcharge and 'on the day' fee, and a visa can be issued to allow the newly married foreigner to remain in UK for 2.5 years. At that point another application is made to extend for a further 2.5 years.

My understanding is there is no need for the newly married foreigner to leave the country.

Also why is it necessary to apply for a Fiance Visa once the wedding has taken place? "......If you do decide to marry abroad he would have to apply for a Fiance visa which wouldn't require him to return to his home country once you are married......."

Well that's what I initially thought I know the .gov website is a little vague I thought he could come on the 6 month visa after the wedding we switch visa's as it gives that impression as it comes with the subtitles renew extend or switch
Last edited by Jderie on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FXR_1340
Member of Standing
Scotland

Post by FXR_1340 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:04 pm

Jderie wrote:
FXR_1340 wrote:
Casa wrote:

Well that's what I initially thought I know the .gov website is a little vague I thought he could come on the 6 month visa after the weeding we switch visa's as it gives that impression as it comes with the subtitles renew extend or switch
I and my US wife to be have submitted a Fiance Visa.

My understanding is (was?) She comes here. We get married. The next day we go to a day appointment for an Permission to Stay visa.

It was on this understanding we took this route.

After reading all this I am rather scared now and may have made the wrong decision.

Hope we both get clarification soon.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:09 pm

There are two ways it can be done.

1. Apply for a 6 month fiance visa at £1464 (NOT a marriage visitor visa at £89), get married in the UK within the 6 months and then switch to FLR(M) spouse visa within the UK either by post or in person. The disadvantage of this route is the double visa cost in a short space of time.

2. Get married abroad, then apply for the spouse visa from abroad.

Either one works.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Jderie
Newly Registered

Post by Jderie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:11 pm

I've re read it with the marriage visitor I cannot switch visas perhaps it's different in the US

FXR_1340
Member of Standing
Scotland

Post by FXR_1340 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:14 pm

CR001 wrote:There are two ways it can be done.

1. Apply for a 6 month fiance visa at £1464 (NOT a marriage visitor visa at £89), get married in the UK within the 6 months and then switch to FLR(M) spouse visa within the UK either by post or in person. The disadvantage of this route is the double visa cost in a short space of time.

Either one works.
Phew!

Thanks for your prompt response. Very grateful.

I have to say I was happy with my initial understanding however this is so important and when something appears to contradict its very easy to go into panic mode.

Thanks again.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:17 pm

Also, if you apply for FLR(M) in person, you can't just 'turn up' at a Premium Service Centre (PSC), you will have to book an appointment online and pay the visa fee + the £500 IHS surcharge.
(Casa, not CR001)

Jderie
Newly Registered

Post by Jderie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:19 pm

CR001 wrote:There are two ways it can be done.

Either one works.
Well if take into consideration flying out there twice once to give notice and my documents unless the embassy here excepts everything. Paying for translation etc then get married get my certificate translated back into English I feel I'd rather foot the bill for the visas but I'll send him all the info and decide soon. This has been a great help I've been searching for answers for weeks.
Last edited by Jderie on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:19 pm

Jderie wrote:I've re read it with the marriage visitor I cannot switch visas perhaps it's different in the US
Correct you cannot switch regardless of where you apply. This restriction does not apply to a fiance visa though (£1464)
Char (CR001 not Casa)

FXR_1340
Member of Standing
Scotland

Post by FXR_1340 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:26 pm

Casa wrote:Also, if you apply for FLR(M) in person, you can't just 'turn up' at a Premium Service Centre (PSC), you will have to book an appointment online and pay the visa fee + the £500 IHS surcharge.
Thanks for this.

I guess that means it could take weeks to get an appointment?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:29 pm

FXR_1340 wrote:
Casa wrote:Also, if you apply for FLR(M) in person, you can't just 'turn up' at a Premium Service Centre (PSC), you will have to book an appointment online and pay the visa fee + the £500 IHS surcharge.
Thanks for this.

No it does not. Appointments are not general a problem if you are flexible with your time/date.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

FXR_1340
Member of Standing
Scotland

Post by FXR_1340 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:47 pm

CR001 wrote:
FXR_1340 wrote:
Thanks for this.

No it does not. Appointments are not general a problem if you are flexible with your time/date.
Thank you again.

In view of the advice, assistance and guidance given by this website and those who take the time to offer the advice, I wonder if its possible to make a wee donation to the costs and upkeep of this website?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:51 pm

FXR_1340 wrote:
CR001 wrote:
FXR_1340 wrote:
Thanks for this.

Thank you again.

In view of the advice, assistance and guidance given by this website and those who take the time to offer the advice, I wonder if its possible to make a wee donation to the costs and upkeep of this website?
Not needed but thank you. We offer our advice and knowledge for free, having come through the immigration journey ourselves and to correct some of the appalling advice given by 'solicitors'. All we ask is that members also continue to participate once they reach the end of their journey and share their experience and knowledge.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Jderie
Newly Registered

Post by Jderie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:45 pm

In view of the advice, assistance and guidance given by this website and those who take the time to offer the advice, I wonder if its possible to make a wee donation to the costs and upkeep of this website?[/quote]
Not needed but thank you. We offer our advice and knowledge for free, having come through the immigration journey ourselves and to correct some of the appalling advice given by 'solicitors'. All we ask is that members also continue to participate once they reach the end of their journey and share their experience and knowledge.[/quote]

Absolutely