ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Which IELTS Test to be taken?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sane
Newly Registered

Which IELTS Test to be taken?

Post by sane » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:16 pm

Hi All,
I want to apply for UK Visa Tier2 (General) category and have received the CoS (Certificate of Sponsorship from Employer).
Can you please suggest me which IELTS test I need to take. I have gone through
UK Tier2 application and found IELTS CERF B1 is required.

The IELTS webiste have following option :

1. IELTS Life Skills B1
2. IELTS for UKVI (General Training)
3. IELTS General Training

In the link below,
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... entres.pdf

each has certificate level of B1 / A1 / A2. So I had some difficulty in concluding which one
is actually required.

Can you please help me , which one should I apply for. If you can answer me today ,
that will help me for sure, for I have very limited time to join the company in UK.

Regards
sane

phnurse
Newly Registered

Re: Which IELTS Test to be taken?

Post by phnurse » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:27 pm

sane wrote:Hi All,
I want to apply for UK Visa Tier2 (General) category and have received the CoS (Certificate of Sponsorship from Employer).
Can you please suggest me which IELTS test I need to take. I have gone through
UK Tier2 application and found IELTS CERF B1 is required.

The IELTS webiste have following option :

1. IELTS Life Skills B1
2. IELTS for UKVI (General Training)
3. IELTS General Training

In the link below,
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... entres.pdf

each has certificate level of B1 / A1 / A2. So I had some difficulty in concluding which one
is actually required.

Can you please help me , which one should I apply for. If you can answer me today ,
that will help me for sure, for I have very limited time to join the company in UK.

Regards
sane
First of all, you have to make sure whether you need to take the General Training test or Academic. Also make sure it's for UKVI for the visa processing. The non-UKVI is not accepted to process your visa as far as I know.

As for certificate level, it will depend on how you scored during the test. Each band score has an equivalent CEFR level so it is necessary for you to know what band score do you need to achieve to get the required CEFR level for your type of job.

http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/fin ... ivalencies

sane
Newly Registered

Post by sane » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:33 am

Hi
Thank you helping me. I am quite sure it is for UKVI. Inside the IELTS it has two options one for IELTS Lifeskills B1 and IELTS General Training/Academic.

I am going for work in UK. Can you please specify which one should I take. The UK Visa website
only specifies CERF B1. It doesn't specifies which one should I opt for.

One more information I got was
IELTS Academic - is for wishing to study at undergraduate or postgraduate levels, and for those seeking professional registration in the UK
IELTS General - This test is for test takers wishing to migrate to the UK and for those wishing to train or study below degree level.

IELTS Life Skils B1 - This test is for test takers wishing to migrate to the UK and for those wishing to train or study below degree level.

I have a feeling it is not the IELTS Life Skils B1 which I need to take, but not quite sure. I am thoroughly confused between these 3 tests. Which one of these categories is required for work in UK .

IELTS General - says this is for those wishing to migrate to UK and for those wishing to train or study. Does the purpose for work in UK comes here?

Can anyone please help?

Regards
Sane.

phnurse
Newly Registered

Post by phnurse » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:06 pm

I believe IELTS Life Skills are for those having the citizenship application.

As for your case, you should ask your employer what IELTS to take. I took the ACADEMIC IELTS since it's a professional registration requirement for my UK license.

You don't need to apply for the CEFR B1 certificate - you will achieve it based on the IELTS band score you get. Check the link I mentioned on the previous post for you to see the equivalent band score and CEFR level. In your case for example, if you need CEFR B1, you should aim to achieve a band score of 4.0 at the minimum in IELTS.

sane
Newly Registered

Post by sane » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:35 pm

Hi,
Thank you very much for your help. I am going for work as a software engineer.
So after may thoughts I will write the IELTS UKVI General Test (still not sure this is the right one) , since no body is sure which test to take and sadly no guide lines available.

Thanks much for your help.