ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - Unpaid Annual Leave with travel outside of UK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

RJoseph
Newly Registered

ILR - Unpaid Annual Leave with travel outside of UK

Post by RJoseph » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi,
I am currently in Tier 2 General Work Visa and is eligible for ILR in Aug 2017. Could you please let me know if my unpaid annual leave in the following scenario will break my continuity.
I applied for 4 weeks annual leave for my marriage in 2013. Although I had 4 weeks of leave remaining the company only allows for 3 weeks of continuous leave. They gave me an option to take the remaining 1 week as an unpaid leave. As my marriage was in India I was outside UK for these 4 weeks..

Would the 1 week of unpaid leave cause a break in my ILR continuity?
I am a bit worried as the Home Office considers unpaid leave with travel outside UK as a break in ILR continuity according to this link https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... _ilr_rules

Please advise.

Thanks!

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: ILR - Unpaid Annual Leave with travel outside of UK

Post by iworker » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:42 pm

No. Its not a problem.
Unpaid leave can be for variety of things.. certain companies wont allow charity work as paid leave, even court service is not paid by some companies. So IMO, taking unpaid leave is not an issue.

RJoseph
Newly Registered

Post by RJoseph » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:51 pm

Thank you!
I read that u can take upto 4 weeks of unpaid leave provided you are still in UK.
In my case I had travelled to India during that time and Home Office says it will break continuity coz I was absent from UK?

db_secu
Newly Registered

Post by db_secu » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:05 pm

RJoseph wrote:Thank you!
I read that u can take upto 4 weeks of unpaid leave provided you are still in UK.
In my case I had travelled to India during that time and Home Office says it will break continuity coz I was absent from UK?
my 2 cents -

I applied for my ILR last Saturday and got through... I have not read anywhere about 4 weeks of unpaid leave on the Home office website / Tier 2 guide.

Your unpaid leave is still part of your annual leave and hence you will be fine as long as you have a cover letter from your employee confirming those leaves were approved...

I provided a word doc detailing all the dates where i was outside of UK (300+ days in total) and had a cover letter confirming the same...

btw you can always provide your marriage certificate explaining your unpaid leave and it should be fine...

KetanAnand
Newly Registered
India

Post by KetanAnand » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:34 pm

Hi RJoseph,

We are in a similar boat. Can you please confirm if you were able to get your ILR after having unpaid leave of absence outside UK?

Thanks

makky86
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by makky86 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:13 am

KetanAnand wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:34 pm
Hi RJoseph,

We are in a similar boat. Can you please confirm if you were able to get your ILR after having unpaid leave of absence outside UK?

Thanks
Instead of tagging your question to very old post create new post with your own question. provide your complete history. You'll have better chances of geetting answer
II Youths a stuff neve endures II