ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

good character 10 years on application ADVISE

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ericay19
Newly Registered

good character 10 years on application ADVISE

Post by ericay19 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi all, i am applying for my British citizenship soon. my family just been granted indefinite leaves to remain last year.
we came to uk in 2003, dependent of my dad working visa.
in 2007, previous solicitor has messed up my dad's limited to remain extension and sent to a wrong home office department which all documents went missing for 2 YEARS!, 2 years later..2009 we got all of our documents back and HO said we need to start our 5 years again from 2009.

so 2009+5 = 2014.
2014 we applied for indefinite leaves to remain, it got messed up again by a different solicitor due to missing documents we didnt know about..
FINALLY, 2015 we were granted with our indefinite leaves to remain settled status.

today, my solicitor said i met all requirement with the 5 years, english test and life in the uk test etc.
HOWEVER, he mentioned something about this 10 years HO might look at for good character. he said that since i was a dependent of my dad. anything that effect his visa also applies to me.

10 years good character = 2007-2017. which was when the first solicitor has sent to the wrong address and messed up with the 2 years gap to 2009.

however, this was not our fault at all! and we reapplied the limited leaves to remain visa again as soon as we found out about it!

anyway, he said that since the HO might at back for the 10 years good character. it might effect my application.
he also said that we can file about my dad situation about that 2 years gap since we did not know anything about it until it was sent back to us. it might help the HO to understand my case more.

anyone can advise me on what to do?! as i met all the requirement listed on the gov website!
does HO really look back to the 10 years even if i was only a kid back then?!
also another couple was in the same situation as us, the 2 years gap. and yet they received their citizenship and got it approved earlier this year!

Rizcon

Re: good character 10 years on application ADVISE

Post by Rizcon » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:56 pm

ericay19 wrote:Hi all, i am applying for my British citizenship soon. my family just been granted indefinite leaves to remain last year.
in 2007, previous solicitor has messed up my dad's limited to remain extension and sent to a wrong home office department which all documents went missing for 2 YEARS!, 2 years later..2009 we got all of our documents back and HO said we need to start our 5 years again from 2009.

so 2009+5 = 2014.
2014 we applied for indefinite leaves to remain, it got messed up again by a different solicitor due to missing documents we didnt know about..
FINALLY, 2015 we were granted with our indefinite leaves to remain settled status.

today, my solicitor said i met all requirement with the 5 years, english test and life in the uk test etc.
HOWEVER, he mentioned something about this 10 years HO might look at for good character. he said that since i was a dependent of my dad. anything that effect his visa also applies to me.

10 years good character = 2007-2017. which was when the first solicitor has sent to the wrong address and messed up with the 2 years gap to 2009.

however, this was not our fault at all! and we reapplied the limited leaves to remain visa again as soon as we found out about it!

anyway, he said that since the HO might at back for the 10 years good character. it might effect my application.
he also said that we can file about my dad situation about that 2 years gap since we did not know anything about it until it was sent back to us. it might help the HO to understand my case more.

anyone can advise me on what to do?! as i met all the requirement listed on the gov website!
also another couple was in the same situation as us, the 2 years gap. and yet they received their citizenship and got it approved earlier this year!
What was your age when you came here and what's your age now?

You have good chance of success,if you are still under 18.

ericay19
Newly Registered

Post by ericay19 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:34 am

Rizcon wrote:
ericay19 wrote:Hi all, i am applying for my British citizenship soon. my family just been granted indefinite leaves to remain last year.

so 2009+5 = 2014.

What was your age when you came here and what's your age now?

You have good chance of success,if you are still under 18.

i was 6 when i first came, i am 20 now.
when HO told us to start the 5 years again, i was 13.
but the other couple is successful with their application even if they were in the same situation as us..

Rizcon

Post by Rizcon » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:44 am

i was 6 when i first came, i am 20 now.
when HO told us to start the 5 years again, i was 13.
but the other couple is successful with their application even if they were in the same situation as us..[/quote]

I'm sure you will be ok as you were a dependent on your dad's application and as a minor, it was not your fault. Go through the AN1 guidelines and booklet and avoid such sort of solicitors.
In my opinion,your case is not straight forward,but UKVI has discretion for such type of cases,especially for those who were minors and dependent on their parents.
Prepare your case after reading the guidelines and booklet and add all these facts on additional information page in form AN1 and request them to use discretion in your case.
You don't need any solicitor to do this, but if you do then go for a good and well known solicitor,not those your dad was stuck with who had no knowledge of correct form and where to send the form.

This is just my opinion based on my little knowledge as I'm not expert in immigration matters. Wait for the seniors to reply you.