ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Permit Application in Dublin

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

zerofold
Newly Registered

EEA Family Permit Application in Dublin

Post by zerofold » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:39 am

Hi all,

I (American) will be applying for a Family Permit based on my EEA spouse (Irish) in a few months and had a question for anyone who has knowledge regarding a Family Permit and the Common Travel Area. I have searched and read through everything I could find on this forum which was very helpful.

We wish to relocate to the UK (all Brexit issues aside). My husband's US visa expires and he will be returning to Ireland in early December. Due to my work and other commitments, I will not be able to join him until a few weeks later. This happens to fall right around Christmas, and we plan on spending the holidays with his family in Dublin. Thus, I am hoping to enter Ireland as a visitor for a few weeks, apply for a UK Family Permit from Dublin, and then relocate to the UK.

I have concerns regarding how the immigration officer at the Dublin airport will handle this situation seeing as there is no passport control when entering the UK from Ireland. I plan on being completely upfront about the fact that I am married to an Irish national who is living in Ireland, but we do not intend to settle there. Has anyone experienced this before?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!!

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Re: EEA Family Permit Application in Dublin

Post by Richard W » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:52 pm

My reply assumes that your husband is not also a British citizen.
zerofold wrote:Thus, I am hoping to enter Ireland as a visitor for a few weeks, apply for a UK Family Permit from Dublin, and then relocate to the UK.
Why apply? If you read the EEA Regulations, in particular Regulation 11(4)(b) and Regulation 13(2), you can just travel from Ireland to the UK on the basis of a valid US passport.
zerofold wrote:I have concerns regarding how the immigration officer at the Dublin airport will handle this situation seeing as there is no passport control when entering the UK from Ireland. I plan on being completely upfront about the fact that I am married to an Irish national who is living in Ireland, but we do not intend to settle there.
I presume you are worried that the Irish immigration officer will suspect that you intend to settle in Ireland. If he treats you as making a single trip from the US to the UK via Ireland, and my memory serves me right, he should stamp you into the UK with an EEA Regulations stamp; I don't know if that has ever happened. If your total travel counts as two journeys, then on entering the UK with your husband you will both be free of all immigration restrictions while you remain in the UK by virtue of the Immigration (Control of Entry Through Republic of Ireland) Order 1972 Article 4 as amended by the Immigration (Control of Entry through Republic of Ireland) (Amendment) Order 2014 Article 3(6).