ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Compulsory ID cards for foreign nationals: Proposed roll-out

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Compulsory ID cards for foreign nationals: Proposed roll-out

Post by RobinLondon » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:46 pm

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith had a major announcement today about ID cards.

Foreign nationals will be the first group to be compelled to register, but there seems to be a process to how the cards will be issued. Those groups who have the highest tendency to fail to comply with immigration rules will be brought into the system first. For instance, students, spouses/partners, work permit holders. Applicants for ILR will be the last to be brought in, probably around 2011.

What is most interesting is that the ID card registration and biometric capture process will be tied to applications. So if you need to extend or renew your leave, you will fall into their net after November 2008. It would seem that if your next application is only for settlement before 2011, you won't have to get an ID card as a foreign national. But again, this is just speculation.

The document may be found HERE. I would pay particular attention to pages 10-11.
Last edited by RobinLondon on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Re: Required ID cards for foreign nationals: Proposed roll-o

Post by thirdwave » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:55 pm

RobinLondon wrote:Home Secretary Jacqui Smith had a major announcement today about ID cards.

Foreign nationals will be the first group to be compelled to register, but there seems to be a process to how the cards will be issued. Those groups who have the highest tendency to fail to comply with immigration rules will be brought into the system first. For instance, students, spouses/partners, work permit holders. Applicants for ILR will be the last to be brought in, probably around 2011.

What is most interesting is that the ID card registration and biometric capture process will be tied to applications. So if you need to extend or renew your leave, you will fall into their net after November 2008. It would seem that if your next application is only for settlement before 2011, you won't have to get an ID card as a foreign national. But again, this is just speculation.

The document may be found HERE. I would pay particular attention to pages 10-11.
and, rather unsurprisingly, the bl**dy immigrants would be forced to shell out over £100 for the privilege of being scanned, finger printed and (effectively) electronically tagged..this govt is clearly on a mission to win friends all over the world :twisted:

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:11 pm

Here are some other links that you might wish to read regarding this:

The official Home Office announcement

The actual text of the Home Secretary's speech

Market research on the proposed ID card roll-out

ID card delivery plan. Includes consultation questions
Last edited by RobinLondon on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:14 pm

Thirdwave wrote:
the bl**dy immigrants would be forced to shell out over £100 for the privilege of being scanned, finger printed and (effectively) electronically tagged

It doe'snt say £100 for a ID card! It say's £100 for ID and passport, eitherway it's the immigrants will pay if they which to be in the land of milk and honey!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:07 pm

Policeman: "Excuse me sir, can I see your identity card?"

Illegal immigrant: "I don't have one, I'm a British citizen"

Policeman: "Very well, on your way then"
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Markie

Post by Markie » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:43 pm

one more worry to lose you identity...now where's that disc I used to save the information...hmmm

Dawie wrote:Policeman: "Excuse me sir, can I see your identity card?"

Illegal immigrant: "I don't have one, I'm a British citizen"

Markie

Re: Compulsory ID cards for foreign nationals: Proposed roll

Post by Markie » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:48 pm

On a retrospective view...the reason why they will start with non-EEA nationals is that the their own nationals do not want it that is why is had dragged for a long time since 2006. They worry about identity theft and everything else in between.

Non-EEA nationals will again be the guinea pigs with this experiment. Its a shame.

RobinLondon wrote:Home Secretary Jacqui Smith had a major announcement today about ID cards.

Shan12

Post by Shan12 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:51 pm

Well, why don't they just give us an armband and pin a star on us?

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:59 pm

Shan12 wrote:Well, why don't they just give us an armband and pin a star on us?
oooo
Ouch

thsths
United Kingdom

Re: Compulsory ID cards for foreign nationals: Proposed roll

Post by thsths » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:25 pm

It still does not make any sense. He wants to give ID cards to all foreign nationals, but the European Commission has already voiced objections to the differentiation between BCs and EU citizens. After all, most European citizens already have an ID card! The same objection may also apply to family members, although we will have to see how that works out.

But for non-EEA citizens, the ID card may indeed become reality. Since the Home Office makes the law, there is not much help available on the legal front. And politically the two main parties are pushing pretty much the same agenda. Not that it makes an sense, but voters love it (for the most part).

Tom

Shan12

Post by Shan12 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:47 pm

Yes, policy by tabloid. Makes me think of a song that has the fiollowing lyrics because it describes these tabloid readers so well:

"We are the angry mob
We read the papers every day
We like who like
We hate who we hate
But we’re also easily swayed"

The Angry Mob by Kaiser Chiefs

kg1983

Post by kg1983 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:00 pm

Policeman: "Excuse me sir, can I see your identity card?"

Illegal immigrant: "I don't have one, I am a visa overstayer, the application pending in the home office and/or sought judicial review and/or I am on a temporary visitors visa. You could possibly investigate if your limited police resources allow you to do so"