ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

D3lboy
Newly Registered

Re: Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

Post by D3lboy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:03 pm

Hey CR
You're right, must be my OCD with everything to be right and no mistakes :D
Thank you very much to you all for all the help and for this amazing forum.
I hope noajthan is alright and well, he has helped me a lot, and took a lot of nagging from me (on my old user- gaston).
All the best to you all

ribena

Post by ribena » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:06 pm

Hello,I hope someone can hel with their input.

I am reading the form/guide & booklet AN and it looks lke the evidence that I need to provide with my application are (from Guide AN page 13 & 14):
- my BRP (non-eea)
- my passport
- life in the uk result
- B1 result
- evidence of lawful residence during the 5 years before date of application*
* Am I right to think that I only need provide P60's ONLY for the last 5 years? I read that some applicants gave more between 5-10 years worth of payslips/P60's? Is that neccessary?

What does lawful residence actually mean? All my previous permits/cards as well as showing I've been working for at least for the last 5 years?

Sorry for the question (I may have more! haha) but trying to get this together correctly as quite a lot of money involve for the application :)

thanks everyone!

maccdad
Newly Registered

Post by maccdad » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:16 pm

I got my ILR on 03 Jan 2015,
Now In Form AN (ver. 02/17) Section 1.22 I have only ticked the box which states
" I have met the Knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013 " and not ticked the rest since I don't meet any of them completely (have a degree taught in English but dont have a certificate from NARIC)

However in the Supporting Documents Section 1(page 28), it says

"• Letter confirming success in the Life in the UK Test, stamped and signed by the Test
Supervisor; and either
• Certificate showing that you have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC
to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United
Kingdom and (i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched
in English or (ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English
speaking country (other than Canada); or
"

While applying for ILR I just took my degrees to the UKVI centre and did not need to get a NARIC certificate previously. I feel section 1.22 and the evidence requirements are confusing as the said option in 1.22 indicates to the applicant that evidences (of KOL) are not required but then are required (in page 28).

SO.... Do I now need to get a UK NARIC certificate or am I good to go to the NCS for processing of my application ?

robtek
Newly Registered

Post by robtek » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:17 pm

I am EU national and have 2 questions regarding AN:

1. First one is regarding my employment. The guidelines says :

You must provide details of all your National Insurance contributions made for your current and previous employment during the past 10 years. To support this claim evidence can be in the form of payslips, P60s covering the relevant period, or a letter(s) from the employer(s) confirming you have worked for them, from the start and finish date.

How many years mean the "relevant period" - is it 5, 6 years or whole period being in the UK?

2. Second question is regarding residency requirement.
I've read the statement from the council website:
These must cover the five or three year residency requirement. You should produce original copies of these documents (if applicable).

Please note. If you are from the European union and exercise Treaty Rights, you will need to evidence six years, not five.
I was thinking since I got PR card I need to only proof the last five years. What is your opinion?
Regards
Chris

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:10 pm

robtek wrote:1. First one is regarding my employment. The guidelines says :

You must provide details of all your National Insurance contributions made for your current and previous employment during the past 10 years. To support this claim evidence can be in the form of payslips, P60s covering the relevant period, or a letter(s) from the employer(s) confirming you have worked for them, from the start and finish date.

How many years mean the "relevant period" - is it 5, 6 years or whole period being in the UK?
The "relevant period" is the period of employment. So, for example, if you worked one job from from January 2010-March 2011 and then your next job ran from December 2011-April 2013, you would need a set of documents for each period of employment, verifying the dates. If you've been working in the UK for more than 10 years, you don't need to provide evidence for any job you had more than 10 years ago.
robtek wrote:2. Second question is regarding residency requirement.
I've read the statement from the council website:
These must cover the five or three year residency requirement. You should produce original copies of these documents (if applicable).

Please note. If you are from the European union and exercise Treaty Rights, you will need to evidence six years, not five.
I was thinking since I got PR card I need to only proof the last five years. What is your opinion?
Regards
Chris
My guess is that they're double-checking that you've had settled status in the UK for at least a year.

From Booklet AN:
Page 9 wrote:If you are a national of a country which is a member state of the EEA or Switzerland, or the family member of such a person, you will automatically have permanent residence status after exercising EEA free movement rights in the UK for any continuous period of 5 years ending on or after 30 April 2006. You should apply for a permanent residence card to prove that you hold that status before applying for citizenship.

But remember that, unless you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you should normally have held permanent resident status for 12 months before applying for naturalisation. This means that you may need to wait until you have been in the United Kingdom for 6 years before you can apply. When you apply for a permanent residence document the evidence that you supply for your EEA(PR) application must be for a 5 year period that ended at least a year before you want to apply for citizenship.

For example: If you apply for Permanent Residence on 1 June 2017 and want to apply for citizenship once that application is decided, you should send evidence that shows you were exercising Treaty rights as a qualified person or family member from 1 June 2011 to 1 June 2016.
I don't know why the date on your PR card isn't evidence enough, but it's best to do what's recommended (especially if you're using a Nationality Checking Service) to avoid arguing with a casework and also to avoid being asked to provide more information later on.

robtek
Newly Registered

Post by robtek » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:44 pm

Tea_Rocket wrote: January 2010-March 2011 and then your next job ran from December 2011-April 2013, you would need a set of documents for each period of employment, verifying the dates. If you've been working in the UK for more than 10 years, you don't need to provide evidence for any job you had more than 10 years ago.
So it means I need to proof any period of employment up to 10 years. What if company doesn't exist and I don't have a P60. Can I provide P45 instead? (I did that when applied for PR card but in AN booklet doesn't mention about P45) . If I worked from Jan-Aug should I provide 8 payslips or just 1st and last payslip from that period?
Tea_Rocket wrote:My guess is that they're double-checking that you've had settled status in the UK for at least a year.
I don't know why the date on your PR card isn't evidence enough, but it's best to do what's recommended (especially if you're using a Nationality Checking Service) to avoid arguing with a casework and also to avoid being asked to provide more information later on.
Provide of evidence of 6 years was when someone applies for Naturalization without having PR card.
The evidence that I was exercising Treaty rights for 5 years has been proved when applied for PR card.

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:44 pm

robtek wrote:So it means I need to proof any period of employment up to 10 years. What if company doesn't exist and I don't have a P60. Can I provide P45 instead? (I did that when applied for PR card but in AN booklet doesn't mention about P45) . If I worked from Jan-Aug should I provide 8 payslips or just 1st and last payslip from that period?
I would send/bring any and all evidence that you have, including the P45 and the payslips.
robtek wrote:Provide of evidence of 6 years was when someone applies for Naturalization without having PR card.
The evidence that I was exercising Treaty rights for 5 years has been proved when applied for PR card.
First of all, it is no longer possible for EEA nationals to apply for naturalisation without a PR card. Secondly, I didn't write guidelines or your council's website. If you want to ignore their advice, then you are free to do so, and submit your application with evidence of your residency for the last five years only. However, I don't see what it hurts to supply the extra information if you have it.

Since PR cards do not include the date that PR was acquired—only the date that they were issued*—your council might be telling you to provide the six years' worth of evidence so that you can establish that you've held settled status for a year before naturalising. While the issue date of your card might be a year ago or more, some people will be applying for naturalisation as soon as they receive their PR cards (and on the basis of having held permanent residence well before the date on the card), hence the instructions. My guess is they're trying to prevent the situation where the Home Office has to ask applicants to send more documents.

Finally, you should keep in mind that the laws that apply to naturalisation are completely different from the laws that apply to ILR/PR, so possession of settled status is not evidence that you meet the other requirements for naturalisation, even when they overlap with the ones for settlement.

*At least, this is what I have gleaned from Google. I am non-EEA, so I don't actually know what is and isn't on a permanent residence card; however the ones I've seen online look like my ILR card.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dontringthebell » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:57 pm

Hi all kindly weigh on my situation below.

2007 June came in as Work Permit holder, applied for HSMP in Feb 2008, got it in April, 2008. Left in April 2010 on expiry, did not apply for extension. During my time under HSMP worked sporadically.

2010 Sep came in as Tier 2 dependent. Worked for two years until 2012 Nov, after birth of child due to short maternity leave provided to wife, gave up career and have been house husband/stay at home dad.

2016 Mar got my ILR smoothly.

In AN FORM,

1.50 Employment history in UK during past 10 years, or since date of entry if you have been here for less than 10 years.

However, the very next section as per guidance notes namely

2.1 Enter the day you first arrived with a view to stay in the UK on a long term basis.

Truth is I got married in 2007 Jan used the first stay mainly enjoying life in UK and went back. However, second time over was a more thought out decision since my wife got a really good opportunity in terms of her career.

1. Should I use the second entry date as the answer and hence provide the work experience details from that time?
2. Would being unemployed for last five years affect my application in any adverse way?
3. My passport expired in 2017 Feb, would that be an issue?
4. What evidence do I need to provide for my stay in UK ( most important for time since expiry of passport).
5. In 1.2 should I leave blank and state seperately my passport expired ?
6. Everything is same for my wife except that she has been on constant employment from Oct 2010 & carries valid Indian passport.

I saw some having one or two of the concerns above however, none with combination of all. Kindly direct instruct & suggest.

robtek
Newly Registered

Post by robtek » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:47 am

Hi, question regarding employment.
I am EU national and I had 3 months (Sept - Nov 2011) gap history for the last 6 years.
At that time I was in UK and only confirmation of that period is bank statement.
Should I wait 4 months to prove 6 years of continuously work or the gap is not the issue?

dhoms
Newly Registered

Post by dhoms » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:39 am

I am filling form AN and would appreciate advice please.

About 8 years ago I did a couple of jobs (much less than 10 (not 20) hours per week in total for both jobs) when I was a student. The problem is that I don't remember my employment details (address, dates, etc.). I have no P60s for these jobs and I requested a copy of my employment history but it does not show these jobs. I am unable to contact my employer at that time. The best information I can give on the form is a very broad date range and employer name together with a note explaining my case. Could you please advise whether there is anything else I should do?

Many thanks.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dontringthebell » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:30 pm

Someone please help on my questions, I'm really stressed out.

milspectees
United States of America

Post by milspectees » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:01 pm

Tea_Rocket wrote:
robtek wrote:So it means I need to proof any period of employment up to 10 years. What if company doesn't exist and I don't have a P60. Can I provide P45 instead? (I did that when applied for PR card but in AN booklet doesn't mention about P45) . If I worked from Jan-Aug should I provide 8 payslips or just 1st and last payslip from that period?
I would send/bring any and all evidence that you have, including the P45 and the payslips.
robtek wrote:Provide of evidence of 6 years was when someone applies for Naturalization without having PR card.
Since PR cards do not include the date that PR was acquired—only the date that they were issued*—your council might be telling you to provide the six years' worth of evidence so that you can establish that you've held settled status for a year before naturalising.
The PR card for EEA nationals is issued with a letter that states when permanent residence is deemed to have been achieved. For example, a card issued in July this year may be accompanied with a letter stating the permanent residence was achieved in July 2016 which would mean the holder could apply immediately for BC. The date on the letter, NOT the date on the card is the correct one and the card AND the letter should be sent with with form AN because the letter is PROOF.

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:52 pm

dhoms wrote:I am filling form AN and would appreciate advice please.

About 8 years ago I did a couple of jobs (much less than 10 (not 20) hours per week in total for both jobs) when I was a student. The problem is that I don't remember my employment details (address, dates, etc.). I have no P60s for these jobs and I requested a copy of my employment history but it does not show these jobs. I am unable to contact my employer at that time. The best information I can give on the form is a very broad date range and employer name together with a note explaining my case. Could you please advise whether there is anything else I should do?

Many thanks.
I assume you are referring to the requirement on form AN to give your employment history during the past 10 years. Actually what the HO would be most interested in is your employment history during the 5-year QP (and even that primarily only for tax purposes).

However, what I would suggest in your case is: (1) call HMRC. They can give you a wealth of information on the phone about previous employers on their system, based on PAYE and/or NIC data.
(2) Make a subject access request (SAR) to HMRC (see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/hmrc-subject-access-request) if you need further info. That will clearly tell you the names of your employers and the periods during which you worked for them. But note that under the Data Protection Act 1998, HMRC has up to 40 days to respond to you.

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:10 pm

dontringthebell wrote:Hi all kindly weigh on my situation below.

2007 June came in as Work Permit holder, applied for HSMP in Feb 2008, got it in April, 2008. Left in April 2010 on expiry, did not apply for extension. During my time under HSMP worked sporadically.

2010 Sep came in as Tier 2 dependent. Worked for two years until 2012 Nov, after birth of child due to short maternity leave provided to wife, gave up career and have been house husband/stay at home dad.

2016 Mar got my ILR smoothly.

In AN FORM,

1.50 Employment history in UK during past 10 years, or since date of entry if you have been here for less than 10 years.

However, the very next section as per guidance notes namely

2.1 Enter the day you first arrived with a view to stay in the UK on a long term basis.

Truth is I got married in 2007 Jan used the first stay mainly enjoying life in UK and went back. However, second time over was a more thought out decision since my wife got a really good opportunity in terms of her career.

1. Should I use the second entry date as the answer and hence provide the work experience details from that time? Yes and no. Yes, you may use the second date (Sep 2010) as the entry date because this is when presumably you entered the UK with a view to settlement. And no, you may not shorten your employment history below 10 years. The reason the Home Office wants to know about your employment history is NOT to pass judgment on anyone's life choices - I've seen people naturalised you were unemployed and on benefits for years as an ILR. There's nothing in the British Nationality Act 1981 or the Nationality Instructions that regards employment as relevant. Your employment period IS however relevant to the good character assessment, in that UKVI will make enquiries with HMRC that you have fully complied with your tax obligations during the preceding 10 years. That's all.
2. Would being unemployed for last five years affect my application in any adverse way? Nope, as per the above. Once you have obtained settlement/ILR, your employment situation is out of the picture.
3. My passport expired in 2017 Feb, would that be an issue? Technically, unless you are applying on the basis of EU law, you don't have to submit a valid passport, provided your Biometric Residence Permit is in-date. What ID document did you use for the Life in the UK test? You can use a driving licence as proof of identity as well, for example. But what stops you from renewing the passport? Is it because your country of origin doesn't allow dual citizenship and you see no point in renewing it?
4. What evidence do I need to provide for my stay in UK ( most important for time since expiry of passport). So that would cover February 2017 to present only? And you're a stay at home dad? Given that your passport hasn't been cancelled (I assume), it is unlikely you would have travelled anyway. However, to comply with the "alternative evidence of residence" requirement, best submit a letter confirming receipt of child benefit for this financial year. If you don't have that or correspondence from another government department indicating your presence in the UK (maybe a council tax bill in your or joint names?), you are under the Nationality Instructions free to submit any other evidence you regard as relevant (despite what the NCS likes to tell people), such as utility bills, bank statements.
5. In 1.2 should I leave blank and state seperately my passport expired ? Type in your last passport number and put underneath in brackets "(last passport, expired dd/02/2017)".
6. Everything is same for my wife except that she has been on constant employment from Oct 2010 & carries valid Indian passport. Is your wife applying to naturalise as well?

I saw some having one or two of the concerns above however, none with combination of all. Kindly direct instruct & suggest.

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:24 pm

robtek wrote:Hi, question regarding employment.
I am EU national and I had 3 months (Sept - Nov 2011) gap history for the last 6 years.
At that time I was in UK and only confirmation of that period is bank statement.
Should I wait 4 months to prove 6 years of continuously work or the gap is not the issue?
The gap is not as such an issue provided you can demonstrate both factual and legal residence. The bank statement should be enough to show you were factually in the UK during that period.

To show legal residence, you have to show you were exercising one or more Treaty rights for those four months, as a worker, self-employed person, jobseeker, student or self-sufficient person. If you were a jobseeker, in addition to the bank statement submit either proof of registration with JobCentre plus/private employment agency, or two copies of applications/rejection letters/interview invites. If you were self-sufficient, you must show (a) sufficient funds for those four months (around £2,400 in total) and (b) comprehensive, private sickness insurance or a non-UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

If you don't fall within either of these two categories, then your residence was technically unlawful and does not qualify for Permanent Residence (I am assuming, based on the info provided, that you'd not qualify for retained worker status - did you work for more than 1 year in the UK before 2011?). In that case, your eligibility for naturalisation would not arise until November 2017. In any event, you have to get a Document Certifying Perm Residence prior to filing form AN.

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:43 pm

Tea_Rocket wrote:
First of all, it is no longer possible for EEA nationals to apply for naturalisation without a PR card. Secondly, I didn't write guidelines or your council's website. If you want to ignore their advice, then you are free to do so, and submit your application with evidence of your residency for the last five years only. However, I don't see what it hurts to supply the extra information if you have it.

Since PR cards do not include the date that PR was acquired—only the date that they were issued*—your council might be telling you to provide the six years' worth of evidence so that you can establish that you've held settled status for a year before naturalising. While the issue date of your card might be a year ago or more, some people will be applying for naturalisation as soon as they receive their PR cards (and on the basis of having held permanent residence well before the date on the card), hence the instructions. My guess is they're trying to prevent the situation where the Home Office has to ask applicants to send more documents.

Finally, you should keep in mind that the laws that apply to naturalisation are completely different from the laws that apply to ILR/PR, so possession of settled status is not evidence that you meet the other requirements for naturalisation, even when they overlap with the ones for settlement.

*At least, this is what I have gleaned from Google. I am non-EEA, so I don't actually know what is and isn't on a permanent residence card; however the ones I've seen online look like my ILR card.
The Council has simply failed to update its website. Prior to the coming into force of the British Nationality (General) (Amendment No 3) Regulations 2015 in November of that year, it was possible to apply without a Document Certifying Perm Res (for EEA nationals) or Permanent Resident Card (for non-EEA family members) So back then, both NCS and HO would have needed to see all of that paperwork listed on the council website (which made the process long-winded and complex, hence the change in the law). This documentation is not required now.

I agree it doesn't hurt to take those documents along to the NCS appointment but the HO doesn't want to see them because they are more of a distraction in the adjudication process.

robtek
Newly Registered

Post by robtek » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:48 am

Indguru90 wrote:
The gap is not as such an issue provided you can demonstrate both factual and legal residence. The bank statement should be enough to show you were factually in the UK during that period.

To show legal residence, you have to show you were exercising one or more Treaty rights for those four months, as a worker, self-employed person, jobseeker, student or self-sufficient person. If you were a jobseeker, in addition to the bank statement submit either proof of registration with JobCentre plus/private employment agency, or two copies of applications/rejection letters/interview invites. If you were self-sufficient, you must show (a) sufficient funds for those four months (around £2,400 in total) and (b) comprehensive, private sickness insurance or a non-UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

If you don't fall within either of these two categories, then your residence was technically unlawful and does not qualify for Permanent Residence (I am assuming, based on the info provided, that you'd not qualify for retained worker status - did you work for more than 1 year in the UK before 2011?). In that case, your eligibility for naturalisation would not arise until November 2017. In any event, you have to get a Document Certifying Perm Residence prior to filing form AN.
The AN form requires to prove the last 5 years and yes I have continuity of residency and work during that period.
The 3 months gap is related to the period happened over 5 years and 7 months ago. I had sufficient amount of money (over £7000) but not private sickness insurance however that 3 months gap has been accepted by caseworker and granted of Document Certifying Perm Residence.
Based on information provided above should I apply for AN with no worries?

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dontringthebell » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Indguru90 Thanks very very much for your advice, guidance and comments. Following is what I would like to add.

1. Should I use the second entry date as the answer and hence provide the work experience details from that time? Yes and no. Yes, you may use the second date (Sep 2010) as the entry date because this is when presumably you entered the UK with a view to settlement. And no, you may not shorten your employment history below 10 years. The reason the Home Office wants to know about your employment history is NOT to pass judgment on anyone's life choices - I've seen people naturalised you were unemployed and on benefits for years as an ILR. There's nothing in the British Nationality Act 1981 or the Nationality Instructions that regards employment as relevant. Your employment period IS however relevant to the good character assessment, in that UKVI will make enquiries with HMRC that you have fully complied with your tax obligations during the preceding 10 years. That's all.
I don't intend to hide, however, it's true I don't have means of procuring that data, don't have access to those documents anymore, some destroyed some don't have them. Also, the decision to close the limited company was so abrupt that I couldn't do it in the best possible way and it had to be dissolved. When I checked my NI contributions under my gov data, some years are not full but I wasn't employed, would that be an issue? Also, I have a clear statement with HMRC, even have a letter to that effect stating I have no dues with them.
3. My passport expired in 2017 Feb, would that be an issue? Technically, unless you are applying on the basis of EU law, you don't have to submit a valid passport, provided your Biometric Residence Permit is in-date. What ID document did you use for the Life in the UK test? You can use a driving licence as proof of identity as well, for example. But what stops you from renewing the passport? Is it because your country of origin doesn't allow dual citizenship and you see no point in renewing it?
I'm not applying on the basis of EU Law. I used my passport which was in effect at the time for LITUK test. My ILR BRP is valid for next 10 years. Don't have driving licence. I would have no requirement of passport after naturalisation hence not applying for it.
4. What evidence do I need to provide for my stay in UK ( most important for time since expiry of passport). So that would cover February 2017 to present only? And you're a stay at home dad? Given that your passport hasn't been cancelled (I assume), it is unlikely you would have travelled anyway. However, to comply with the "alternative evidence of residence" requirement, best submit a letter confirming receipt of child benefit for this financial year. If you don't have that or correspondence from another government department indicating your presence in the UK (maybe a council tax bill in your or joint names?), you are under the Nationality Instructions free to submit any other evidence you regard as relevant (despite what the NCS likes to tell people), such as utility bills, bank statements.
Don't get any benefits and don't intend too. Did not travel and don't intend to until I get my British passport. In terms of letters from govt departments I have some correspondence from HMRC which they have been sending with regards to the information I requested. Also I applied for driving licence and then cancelled it because I didn't want to post my BRP in the post at this crucial time.
6. Everything is same for my wife except that she has been on constant employment from Oct 2010 & carries valid Indian passport. Is your wife applying to naturalise as well?
Yes she is applying for the naturalisation with me.

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:43 pm

dontringthebell wrote:Indguru90 Thanks very very much for your advice, guidance and comments. Following is what I would like to add.

I don't intend to hide, however, it's true I don't have means of procuring that data, don't have access to those documents anymore, some destroyed some don't have them. Also, the decision to close the limited company was so abrupt that I couldn't do it in the best possible way and it had to be dissolved. When I checked my NI contributions under my gov data, some years are not full but I wasn't employed, would that be an issue? Also, I have a clear statement with HMRC, even have a letter to that effect stating I have no dues with them. If you have already obtained your full HMRC/NIC data, as you seem to have done, then you should declare the employers that are reflected on your HMRC record over the past 10 years. You don't need to go over and beyond that, but as UKVI will check your HMRC record anyway, they will see the same information that you have. Does that make sense? As for the ltd you're referring to, were you a director of that company? As for having years without work/NI contributions, that does not matter. As you point out, HMRC have confirmed you have paid your tax. You can include the HMRC letter, but UKVI will check with them anyway.
I'm not applying on the basis of EU Law. I used my passport which was in effect at the time for LITUK test. My ILR BRP is valid for next 10 years. Don't have driving licence. I would have no requirement of passport after naturalisation hence not applying for it. Use your expired passport and valid BRP as proof of identity in that case, if you don't intend to renew it. That combination proves your identity and nationality sufficiently for AN purposes. This has been discussed previously as well, see british-citizenship/applying-for-britis ... 88453.html
Don't get any benefits and don't intend too. Did not travel and don't intend to until I get my British passport. In terms of letters from govt departments I have some correspondence from HMRC which they have been sending with regards to the information I requested. Also I applied for driving licence and then cancelled it because I didn't want to post my BRP in the post at this crucial time. Ok, if you don't have a letter indicating your presence during the Feb 2017-present period, enclose one or two of the HMRC letters and a utility bill or something similar. The caseworker needs to be satisfied that you spent no more than 90 (de facto 100) days out of country during the preceding 12 months.
Your expired but uncancelled passports plus official HMRC/utility/bank correspondence should suffice.
UKVI have access to landing card records on the Warehouse database and can request eBorders advance passenger data from the Border Force if required.

Yes she is applying for the naturalisation with me.
So you'll presumably make a joint application. The evidence she provides in support of her residence will corroborate yours and vice versa. As long as she has passports covering the preceding 5 years she won't need alternative residence documentation. I advise you to apply using the Nationality Checking Service in your local authority,
if there were to be any concern with your documentation, they have a direct line to Nationality Group in Liverpool. Good luck with the application!

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:50 pm

robtek wrote:
Indguru90 wrote:

The AN form requires to prove the last 5 years and yes I have continuity of residency and work during that period.
The 3 months gap is related to the period happened over 5 years and 7 months ago. I had sufficient amount of money (over £7000) but not private sickness insurance however that 3 months gap has been accepted by caseworker and granted of Document Certifying Perm Residence.
If you were accepted for EEA(PR) purposes, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about on that front. You're right that for naturalisation purposes, only the previous five (not six) years matter. I'd be surprised if the NCS even took a peek at the documentation requested on their website (which, as I said in a previous post, is presumably still from before November 2015), let alone forward it to the Home Office. All the caseworker will need to see is that you obtained freedom from immigration time restrictions/PR at least 12 months ago, and that you were physically present over the past 5 years.
So all you will need is:

- Your current passport or national identity card as proof of EEA nationality (plus any other ID doc you used for the Life in the Uk test)
- Your EEA(PR)/DCPR as proof of settlement
- Life in the UK test certificate and language proof
- Evidence of five years' physical residence in the UK, such as letters from employers indicating dates of employment, letters from gov't departments confirming receipts of benefits, etc.

That should be all.

UKVI will NOT go further into your Treaty rights history (the only exception would be - and that doesn't apply to your case on the facts stated - where an EEA nationals immigration history casts doubt on their satisfying the good character requirement. I wouldn't worry about that).

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dontringthebell » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:22 pm

Indguru90 once again, thanks for your guidance. I'm not quoting in order to shorten my post.

1. Yes I have requested Data, though, I doubt they would have my employer data, date of joining & leaving, duration I worked with an employer, payslips etc, might get some P60s though. Also a record for what was supposed to be paid and what was paid. I say this because they have sent me the partial record. And thats all I can see, though its also true what they have sent is only for the period for my limited company. Does that mean I should only attach what they sent me for my limited company, because I don't think I can summarise it better than they have on these letters/yearly statements.

My worry still is I don't want to be perceived as someone hiding or misrepresenting, funny enough when I don't even have that information.

I think all other points are now covered and in alignment to your responses earlier. Thanks for your wishes and cooperation.

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:16 am

dontringthebell wrote:Indguru90 once again, thanks for your guidance. I'm not quoting in order to shorten my post.

1. Yes I have requested Data, though, I doubt they would have my employer data, date of joining & leaving, duration I worked with an employer, payslips etc, might get some P60s though.Form AN does not require you to give all of this information. As long as you can give the month (e.g. "Mar 09") that is fine.
You won't need to state your salary for previous employments. Preferably you should give the name of your employer, if they no longer exist, write "dissolved" or something to similar effect in the "employer address"
section of question 1.50.
Also a record for what was supposed to be paid and what was paid. I say this because they have sent me the partial record. And you don't expect further data from HMRC?And thats all I can see, though its also true what they have sent is only for the period for my limited company. Does that mean I should only attach what they sent me for my limited company, because I don't think I can summarise it better than they have on these letters/yearly statements.You can enclose whatever you think is relevant to the application, but I don't see much point in doing so, given the very limited information asked for under question 1.50. But see my comments below.

My worry still is I don't want to be perceived as someone hiding or misrepresenting, funny enough when I don't even have that information. This is how many applicants feel about tracing back their absences over the past five years... pretty common!

I think all other points are now covered and in alignment to your responses earlier. Thanks for your wishes and cooperation.Fabs.
Your honesty is commendable. Am I correct in inferring from your post that you have not yet received your full data set from HMRC? If you feel that the HMRC data is incomplete and that you should make further disclosure on your naturalisation application, here are a couple of points:

1) As set out above, in the list in question 1.50 (page 10 of form AN), list the employments you can trace back from your own records and HMRC data. Should be fine to give MM/YY only. If you don't know the precise dates of employment, approximate (e.g. "Mar 09 approx. to May 09 approx.").

2) On p.22, set out the circumstances of your previous employment:
- Paragraph 1: state that you have given employment information to the best of your knowledge and memory, based on your records and HMRC data, explain what steps you have taken to trace back your employment history, and briefly set out why you no longer have full data (e.g. payslips thrown away, lost while moving houses, destroyed, etc.)
- Paragraph 2: state that you have always complied with your tax obligations and that HMRC have confirmed no outstanding tax liability.
[- Paragraph 3 (optional): state that it is possible according to your recollection that you had previous employments not recorded on your HMRC file, but that you no longer have any paperwork relating to it. If these employments were merely minor, or if they preceded your qualifying 5-year period, so state.]

It is up to you whether you want to make this disclosure. In theory, you could apply for naturalisation on the back of an envelope or a napkin, provided you give sufficient information to show you satisfy the statutory requirements (physical presence 5 years ago, no more than the permitted absence, intent to remain etc). It is not mandatory to use form AN (unlike applications under the Immigration Rules or EU law) with its questions on prior employment, though of course if can't be ruled out that the caseworker would seek that information from you after making an application by letter. Best to use form AN, and make the above disclosure to the extent you consider relevant.

robtek
Newly Registered

Post by robtek » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:05 pm

Indguru90 wrote:
robtek wrote:
Indguru90 wrote:

If you were accepted for EEA(PR) purposes, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about on that front. You're right that for naturalisation purposes, only the previous five (not six) years matter. I'd be surprised if the NCS even took a peek at the documentation requested on their website (which, as I said in a previous post, is presumably still from before November 2015), let alone forward it to the Home Office. All the caseworker will need to see is that you obtained freedom from immigration time restrictions/PR at least 12 months ago, and that you were physically present over the past 5 years.
So all you will need is:

- Your current passport or national identity card as proof of EEA nationality (plus any other ID doc you used for the Life in the Uk test)
- Your EEA(PR)/DCPR as proof of settlement
- Life in the UK test certificate and language proof
- Evidence of five years' physical residence in the UK, such as letters from employers indicating dates of employment, letters from gov't departments confirming receipts of benefits, etc.

That should be all.

UKVI will NOT go further into your Treaty rights history (the only exception would be - and that doesn't apply to your case on the facts stated - where an EEA nationals immigration history casts doubt on their satisfying the good character requirement. I wouldn't worry about that).
Do I need to provide all employment evidence since I came to UK (7 years) as per guidelines:

I heard that NCS take only last 5 years of proof employment and not interested for the period above 5 years.

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:42 pm

robtek wrote:
Do I need to provide all employment evidence since I came to UK (7 years) as per guidelines:

I heard that NCS take only last 5 years of proof employment and not interested for the period above 5 years.
No. Evidence of employment is required neither for 7 years nor for the 5-year Qualifying Period itself. However, evidence of employment CAN be used to evidence physical presence in the UK. See explanation below:

The guidelines you're mentioning are paras.1.48-1.50 of Guide AN. This documentary evidence has not ben required in years (but has survived occasional revisions of Guide AN). UKVI have a long-standing data sharing agreement with HMRC that allows the former to access data held by the latter, and you give your consent to this data sharing when signing the naturalisation application. So UKVI will not need to see actual evidence of NI contributions.

Many NCS websites have not been updated to the post-November 2015 position. You may see occasional references to P60s, payslips, bank statements, utility bills and the like. Such documents were required for EEA national applicants who did not have a DCPR, and who had to prove as part of the naturalisation process itself that they were free from immigration time restrictions. As you know, this became obsolete in November 2015 when the DCPR/PR card became mandatory.

The only documentation required for an EEA national is: current passport/ID card, DCPR, LiTUK and language, and evidence of 5 years' physical residence. In the first place, what UKVI prefer to see as evidence of residence is letters from your employers confirming your NINO and dates of employment (and details of annual leave would be helpful but are not required); alternatively, letters from schools/unis or government departments (other than the Home Office) indicating presence in the UK. It is only in cases such letters cannot be procured that alternative evidence such as P60s, utility bills, council tax statements etc. should be considered. There is of course no harm in bringing all your documents to the NCS appointment (if you choose to make an NCS appointment).

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dontringthebell » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:59 am

Indguru90 - Thanks for your thoughtful insights and encouraging advice. Just can't express in words how invaluable these posts on this forum are for me and everyone else on this journey. Lot of struggle, strife and life written across this board with a lot of hope conquering despair.
Over the last 10 years dealing with UKBA/UKVI, one thing that i learnt is - their processes are pretty mathematical in nature, from the first time applying for HSMP back in 2008 to today, Its always been balancing one side of equation to another. Its like you give them what they want and you get in return what you want. This is the first time, that equation looked a little less balanced and hence the jitters, concern, etc etc. I have always made all my applications on my own with ease and water tight. Hopefully with the comments/advice/guidance you have given and my research I feel I will be balancing that equation pretty well.

I requested all data prior to FY 2013-14, They sent me one page documents detailing my tax calculations for FY 2013-14, 2012-13 right away, however, the data prior to that can only be requested in writing and HMRC guidelines suggest it could take unto 40 days/working days for them to respond.
Also, I have full employment data (dates, figures, etc) with me on a personal file that I maintain, however, the evidence to prove support was missing. Going by your advice, I understand I don't need to provide the evidence rather only the information and can explain the circumstances if further asked.
Finally would it be correct to summarise our discussion as follows:
1.50 Employment history in UK during past 10 years, or since date of entry if you have been here for less than 10 years. Provide all 10 years information with further additional explanation and as much documentation.
1. Should I use the second entry date as the answer and hence provide the work experience details from that time? NO
2. Would being unemployed for last five years affect my application in any adverse way? NO
3. My passport expired in 2017 Feb, would that be an issue? NO
4. What evidence do I need to provide for my stay in UK ( most important for time since expiry of passport). HMRC letters, council tax letters, tenancy renewal agreement, bills & uncanceled passport and BRP with declaration.
5. In 1.2 should I leave blank and state seperately my passport expired ? mention in brackets underneath.
6. Everything is same for my wife except that she has been on constant employment from Oct 2010 & carries valid Indian passport. No issues

Finally thanks once again, would like to thank others who did not respond to me directly but have learned a lot by reading there posts. I will update how this goes and contribute as much as I can. This board is unparalleled in its resourcefulness and blessing to those with tight pockets (basically every immigrant).