ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is the cumulative period of time visitor can be in UK?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Diana1234
Newly Registered

What is the cumulative period of time visitor can be in UK?

Post by Diana1234 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:34 pm

Dear Sir/ Madam,

My parents in law have 2 year visitor visa (both are retired).

There is no specific maximum period that an individual can spend in the UK in any period such as '6 months in 12 months'. (source 'visit guidance' Https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... nce-v6.pdf

What is the cumulative period of time (per 2 year visa) a person can stay in the UK in order not to qualify as a 'de-facto' resident? Do you have any law, say, a visitor must not exceed 500 days, if he/she has a 2 year visa?

Say, parents in law will stay 5 months in the UK, then 2 months in their home country, then 5 months in the UK. Then, 4 weeks in the UK, 5 months in the home country etc. So pattern is more frequent to see them in 1st year (10 months in the UK / 2 months in the home country) and more rare in 2nd year (2 months in the UK/ 10 months in the home country). In average will be 50% in the UK and 50% in the home country. Will it be too frequent or is it fine in order again to get a visa after 2 years?

What could be the best proportion to be in the UK and the home country ( 50/50, 40/60, 30/70 of total time)?

To qualify for a permanent resident you should be 270 days in the UK per year. Can we relate a permanent resident rule of 270 days to be in the UK and 'de - facto' resident not to exceed 270 days a year?

Regards,

Diana

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: What is the cumulative period of time visitor can be in

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:48 pm

Your parents-in-law shouldn't be spending more time the UK in a 12 month rolling period (not calendar year), than they are spending in their home country.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.