ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent. Switch from my MPhil Tier 4 to Tier 2 Gen

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Hanie
Newly Registered

Urgent. Switch from my MPhil Tier 4 to Tier 2 Gen

Post by Hanie » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:38 pm

Hi guys,

Hope you can help with my situation.

I am a doctor who received an offer to work within the NHS after I got my GMC registration. I am already on Tier 4 in the UK studying MPhil (Master of Philosophy) which is a research-based degree (doing research in the NHS) that can be transferred to PhD. The degree ends on December (visa is on November 2018).

Now once I get my sponsorship letter Can I switch to Tier 2?? I have read the guidance and it says you have got to have your Masters but I think this is for MSc? Mine ends after 2-3 years and it does not interfere with my job not it is needed for my post.
I have already started process of transferring to PhD .. and the guidance says that I can switch if you passed 12 months ( I have passed 18 months) of studies towards PhD but does this apply to me or I should be on PhD already. (Note: MPhil is the most common route to PhD).
All the points needed for Tier 2 will be met.

Hope this explains everything.

Grateful for your help.

Regards
Hanie

MDK88
Newly Registered

Re: Urgent. Switch from my MPhil Tier 4 to Tier 2 Gen

Post by MDK88 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:50 am

If your university can issue a student status letter confirming that you have completed a minimum of 12 months towards your PhD, you will be fine.

The guidance for Tier 2 visas is very clear and if your read pages 29 and 30 (which I am sure you already have), you will get a good idea. Key is to get confirmation from the university that "you have completed a minimum of 12 months’ study in the UK towards a UK PhD during your last grant of leave or period of continuous leave which includes your last grant of leave"

Trust this helps. I switched from a Tier 4 (PhD) to a Tier 2 so you should be fine as long as you provide the required evidence. Make sure you tick all the boxes on the checklist.

Hanie
Newly Registered

Post by Hanie » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:16 am

Many thanks MDK89,

I appreciate your help and advice!

The problem that the faculty is refusing to issue me a letter saying that I am working towards a PhD. The international office in the university just told me to proceed with Tier 2 then apply to transfer your MPhil. I will try my best to get the letter before applying as refusal will be devastating.

Thanks
Hanie

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:29 am

IMO, i dont think a letter will help anyway. As the CAS was issued for mphil, they know u are doing mphil.
I think u should apply with restricted cos and outside uk.
However, i have recently seen people transfering within the uk as well.. however, i think the rules demand that u apply outside the uk.

Hanie
Newly Registered

Post by Hanie » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:37 am

iworker wrote:IMO, i dont think a letter will help anyway. As the CAS was issued for mphil, they know u are doing mphil.
I think u should apply with restricted cos and outside uk.
However, i have recently seen people transfering within the uk as well.. however, i think the rules demand that u apply outside the uk.
Can you clarify please what is restricted COS? Is it something that my sponsor (employer) would issue me?

Regards
Hanie

MDK88
Newly Registered

Post by MDK88 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:00 pm

I followed the guidance notes when I applied but am not experienced to advice you further. My only advice would be to read the guidance and perhaps contact UKVI for some clarity.

I hope you will be able to sort this out and best of luck!

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:07 pm

2 kinds of cos. Unrestricted is for people changing visas within uk.
Restricted is for people applying from outside. restricted takes longer to apply as well.

cutex
Newly Registered

Post by cutex » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:04 am

Hi,

I am almost in a similar situation, but my CAS was issued for a PhD and the award on the CAS shows PhD. But my school has refused to give me a letter stating I completed 12mths of PhD, they gave me a letter showing I completed 12mths of MPhil. Can I switch using this letter?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:33 am

cutex wrote:Hi,

I am almost in a similar situation, but my CAS was issued for a PhD and the award on the CAS shows PhD. But my school has refused to give me a letter stating I completed 12mths of PhD, they gave me a letter showing I completed 12mths of MPhil. Can I switch using this letter?
Instead of tagging your question onto other member's topics, please start your own topic with your questions. It is considered rude to tag on and it creates confusion when members respond.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

cutex
Newly Registered

Post by cutex » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:24 pm

Hanie wrote:Hi guys,

Hope you can help with my situation.

I am a doctor who received an offer to work within the NHS after I got my GMC registration. I am already on Tier 4 in the UK studying MPhil (Master of Philosophy) which is a research-based degree (doing research in the NHS) that can be transferred to PhD. The degree ends on December (visa is on November 2018).

Now once I get my sponsorship letter Can I switch to Tier 2?? I have read the guidance and it says you have got to have your Masters but I think this is for MSc? Mine ends after 2-3 years and it does not interfere with my job not it is needed for my post.
I have already started process of transferring to PhD .. and the guidance says that I can switch if you passed 12 months ( I have passed 18 months) of studies towards PhD but does this apply to me or I should be on PhD already. (Note: MPhil is the most common route to PhD).
All the points needed for Tier 2 will be met.

Hope this explains everything.

Grateful for your help.

Regards
Hanie
Hi Hanie,

Was your CAS issued for an MPhil or a PhD? If it was issued for a PhD then your school should be able to issue you with this letter. Like I said I am in a similar situation, initially my school refused but then I started contacting other departments in my school e.g. the research admin, or admissions team. Finally got them to write that I have done 12months of study which counts towards a PhD, bcos the MPhil actually counts towards a PhD. All the best.