ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dutch to British Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Misha1
Newly Registered

Dutch to British Naturalisation

Post by Misha1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I have decided to apply for British naturalisation when I found my permanent residence card won't be effective post Brexit. I got PR in July 2008 through my dad as a dependant. I have been living, studying and working in the UK since 2002. So far from what I gathering I need to book Trinity College Grade 5 (B1) test and Life in the UK. After I pass those tests I can apply for the British naturalisation application which need two good character references and biometric identification.
So my question is for the GESE English test, do you bring the topic paper on the day of the test and does it look as easy on the video if you are fluent in English? You don't have to do any writing test for it either?
Do I need to prove what I have been doing post my permanent residency?
And lastly am I missing out on anything else that is required of the process?
Many thanks in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Dutch to British Naturalisation

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:05 pm

B1 doesn't have a written test - bring with you what is requested, topic paper, etc. It is very easy, even I had to take it after decades in the UK ....
You need to complete the AN application and provide details going back from the date of the application, five or 10 years as appropriate, even if it covers part of your PR. Fill in everything, don't assume they know everything from your PR application.
Recommend you use the NCS service, extra fee around £65, you keep your originals that way and you can apply for your passport at the same time (no passport interview!).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Misha1
Newly Registered

Post by Misha1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks very much for your advise, much appreciated!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:15 am

Are you aware that if you become a British citizen, you will lose your Dutch citizenship unless you fall within one of the established exceptions:
(discussion at) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_nationality_law
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

Misha1
Newly Registered

Post by Misha1 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:12 pm

JAJ wrote:Are you aware that if you become a British citizen, you will lose your Dutch citizenship unless you fall within one of the established exceptions:
(discussion at) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_nationality_law
Yes I am aware but thanks for highlighting still. I consider UK/London my home and have no intention in returning back to the Netherlands.

Misha1
Newly Registered

Post by Misha1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:10 pm

I have Passed my GESE level 5 and Life the UK test. I brought the book but discovered this great website: weblink removed by moderator

The 10 exams is what you need to keep practising on. I am going book my NCS appointment and to decide whom I can ask for references. Thank you for your help on the website. The process is less daunting than it appears.

Misha1
Newly Registered

Post by Misha1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:29 am

I read somewhere on tis board that you don't need to prove 5 years of work references but that is not true when I went for the NCS appointment. They said as I am an EU national, my passport won't be stamped at the airports so there is no evidence. Now I am trying to chase up NHS trusts I worked for from 2012 and 2017. I was wondering if there was a short gap of unemployment in between changing of jobs would be an issue eg unemployed written down?
Also shall go through the NCS again or better off to do individual application as the rest was fine?
Many thanks in advance.

EEA National
Bulgaria

Post by EEA National » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:16 am

Misha1 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:29 am
I read somewhere on tis board that you don't need to prove 5 years of work references but that is not true when I went for the NCS appointment. They said as I am an EU national, my passport won't be stamped at the airports so there is no evidence. Now I am trying to chase up NHS trusts I worked for from 2012 and 2017. I was wondering if there was a short gap of unemployment in between changing of jobs would be an issue eg unemployed written down?
Also shall go through the NCS again or better off to do individual application as the rest was fine?
Many thanks in advance.
There is no rule to be employed, so you can put unemployed
Misha1 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:29 am
Many thanks in advance.
It is entirely up to you to go individually or with NCS. With the latter at least you can get through passport application as well.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:33 am

EEA National wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:16 am
There is no rule to be employed, so you can put unemployed
The problem that the OP has is not that he was unemployed. As you mentioned, there is no rule regarding employment for naturalisation.

But the OP does have to prove his physical presence in the UK for the past five years by evidence other than passports. If he is employed in the UK, there is a reasonably good chance that he is physically in the UK. But what other evidence can he produce to prove his presence in the UK while he was unemployed? I will leave that for other EEA citizen applicants to answer that question.

To the OP, you can bypass the NCS. But if the Home Office decides that your evidence is insufficient, you lose the entire naturalisation fee of about £1200. If the NCS thinks the evidence is insufficient, you lose just the NCS fee of about £60. Take your pick.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Misha1
Newly Registered

Post by Misha1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:45 pm

Ok thank you for your advise. I will try again with NCS once I get all my work references through.

Misha1
Newly Registered

Post by Misha1 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:01 pm

Would work history reference for volunteering with reputable UK charity be accepted as proof?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:32 am

Misha1 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:01 pm
Would work history reference for volunteering with reputable UK charity be accepted as proof?
I see no reason why not. You are evidencing that you were spending time in the United Kingdom, not that you had a particular employment status.

The new Dutch government has declared an intention to alter Netherlands law on dual citizenship although it may be some time before it's in force and it may not allow for automatic re-acquisition of Dutch citizenship.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... hip-brexit

Unless you fall into one of the existing exemptions in Dutch law- assume you are not U.K. born but there could also be exemptions if you are spouse/partner of a British citizen, or lived for 5 years in the U.K. before age 18.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_nationality_law
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

Misha1
Newly Registered

Post by Misha1 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks everyone for your contribution and advise.
I received my invitation for ceremony yesterday and it took about 2 months.
So I would advise anyone to get first their permanent residence card, then 5 years of proof via work, school or volunteering. GCSE Level 5 and Life in the UK test practised online. And to get it checked via council, they vary in price. For example Hammersmith and Hillingdon were cheaper compared to Hounslow, some a difference of £40!
I am going to British whoohoo, wished I got the Blue passport instead lol.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Well done and congrats, this was a super fast result!
Just one point the language test is GESE Level 5 (B1) not "GCSE". We don't want others digging out their GCSE results. :wink:
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Misha1
Newly Registered

Post by Misha1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:35 am

Oh yeah sorry for that mistake :)