ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA PR employment gaps

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

manomaly
Newly Registered

EEA PR employment gaps

Post by manomaly » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:51 pm

Hi,

I've got 2 questions relating to employment gaps.

1)
I've been here for 5 years, but in the first 8 months my employer didn't contribute to tax or NIN (had no clue until the company went under, I provided my payslips to HMRC just in case afterwards, they told me they had no record of any contributions and they couldn't refund me the overpaid tax). I recently called HMRC as I'm getting the employment history, and they said they have nothing on record in this period.

Can I apply as a worker looking for work at that time? I had been looking for work, but I'm not sure how many application letters would be needed for an 8 month period?

Or would it be better to apply as a self sufficient person? During that initial 8 month period I had an EHIC card (I'm not sure if I can get a document stating that yet). And how would I prove I had enough money - is it bank statements? And how much would it be needed?

Or would it be best to simply wait for another 8 month and apply then? Is there a waiting period to apply again if my application gets rejected?

2)
Then I've had a period of just under 3 months of unemployment, and another one of just over 3 months. Should I be worried about those, especially the one over 3 months? I didn't have an EHIC or any kind of CSI during those 2 periods of unemployment. I didn't claim benefits, was looking for work. Should I provide bank statements for those periods? The guidance says to only provide one document per 12 months and I have my P60s.

manomaly
Newly Registered

Re: EEA PR employment gaps

Post by manomaly » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:37 am

I've also never registered as a job seeker.

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:07 am

manomaly wrote:Hi,

I've got 2 questions relating to employment gaps.

1)
I've been here for 5 years, but in the first 8 months my employer didn't contribute to tax or NIN (had no clue until the company went under, I provided my payslips to HMRC just in case afterwards, they told me they had no record of any contributions and they couldn't refund me the overpaid tax). I recently called HMRC as I'm getting the employment history, and they said they have nothing on record in this period.Sounds like you were conned by a fraudulent employer there, very unfortunate. Technically, just because your employer defrauded the revenue, this does not mean you were not exercising Treaty rights as a worker, provided your work was genuine and not merely ancillary. However, I understand that you wish to avoid the complexity your case might throw up were UKVI to inquire too deeply into your tax and NIC record, which may also have repercussions for any naturalisation application you may choose to make in the future.

Can I apply as a worker looking for work at that time? I had been looking for work, but I'm not sure how many application letters would be needed for an 8 month period?You cannot apply as a "worker"
under the 2016 Regulations, but you can apply as a jobseeker in principle. You do not need to show that you were exercising Treaty rights for the first three months of your stay. For any time after the first three months, you do have to show you were a worker, self-employed person, jobseeker, student, self-sufficient person, or family member of one of the foregoing. As things stand now, you can normally only be a jobseeker for 3 months during the entire 5-year period; this limitation was introduced in 2014. As your period of jobseeking fell before 2014, the old law would apply, which was normally six months. You could therefore "bridge" this time by combining 3 months initial entry rights plus 5 months jobseeking, subject to what I say below. HOWEVER, on balance I would advise against going for the jobseeking route because you have other periods of unemployment, as set out below.

Or would it be better to apply as a self sufficient person? During that initial 8 month period I had an EHIC card (I'm not sure if I can get a document stating that yet). And how would I prove I had enough money - is it bank statements? And how much would it be needed?Yes, self-sufficient is better and somewhat easier to prove. If you no longer hold your EHIC, you must get a letter/confirmation from the issuing authority confirming that you did hold an EHIC during the relevant time. I've seen letters to that effect from a number of different countries, most seem to issue them without a problem. As for sufficient funds, the choice is yours: bank statement, letter from family/friend confirming support plus evidence of their finances, pension,
evidence of property and (indeed), evidence of employment income. As a guide, you'd be expected to have roughly £600 per month available to you. The EEA guidance states that applicants must "provide documents showing they have enough resources to cover their essential outgoings."

Or would it be best to simply wait for another 8 month and apply then? Is there a waiting period to apply again if my application gets rejected? No waiting period. I can't advise you on whether you wish to wait or not, what with #Brexit and all. You can re-apply at any time after a refusal.

2)
Then I've had a period of just under 3 months of unemployment, and another one of just over 3 months. Should I be worried about those, especially the one over 3 months? I didn't have an EHIC or any kind of CSI during those 2 periods of unemployment. I didn't claim benefits, was looking for work. Should I provide bank statements for those periods? The guidance says to only provide one document per 12 months and I have my P60s. The 1xP60 per year of residence requirement only applies if you spent that whole year in employment. You must prove any periods of free movement rights other than as a worker separately.
The problem is that you have two periods of unemployment totalling almost 6 months.
From 2014, as set out above, jobseeking time has generally been capped at 3 months. However, this does not mean your PR application is doomed to fail. The legal test for exceeding the 3 month cap is that you are able to provide "compelling evidence of continuing to seek employment and having a genuine chance of being engaged". This is quite easy to show in a PR application where you did actually get employment shortly afterwards. Put all your qualifications and evidence of seeking work into the application to show you had a genuine chance of employment.

manomaly wrote:I've also never registered as a job seeker.As long as you're not relying on retained worker status, that's fine, as long as you can otherwise prove (by applications, invitation letters, registrations with agencies or some such documents) that you were actually looking for work.
In short: either apply in 8 months' time, or apply now based on self-sufficiency in the first 8 months; and then two periods of unemployment later, providing the "compelling evidence" required by the Regulations.

manomaly
Newly Registered

Post by manomaly » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:20 pm

Thank you Indguru90! Your advice is truly invaluable.

I'm awaiting HMRC's employment history and hopefully it'll show I've been unemployed less than 6 months in total. And hopefully I get proof of EHIC soon too.

tmonaghan
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by tmonaghan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:26 am

I keep wondering whether it is worth applying for PR as the result of Brexit. The future status of those having exercised their Treaty Rights for five years will be ask to apply again for the settled status once the UK leaves the EU. Double the money; double the trouble and anxiety given that at this present time there is no requirement to hold a document to prove your rights to reside and work in the UK. I would keep residing lawfully in the UK until the HO comes out with ways to regularise your status in the UK post Brexit.

manomaly
Newly Registered

Post by manomaly » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:58 pm

tmonaghan wrote:I keep wondering whether it is worth applying for PR as the result of Brexit. The future status of those having exercised their Treaty Rights for five years will be ask to apply again for the settled status once the UK leaves the EU. Double the money; double the trouble and anxiety given that at this present time there is no requirement to hold a document to prove your rights to reside and work in the UK. I would keep residing lawfully in the UK until the HO comes out with ways to regularise your status in the UK post Brexit.
True, it could be much simpler to wait until they set up the new process, or it could prove to be more difficult. I work for a company that did a research on the new Universal Credit that the government rolled out on the basis to make things easier - in theory it should have, but in practice it caused many problems with its roll out, apply process, long waiting times. The same could happen with the new EEA PR process, it could prove easier or more difficult to provide evidence for my employment gaps, we just don't know. I'm not waiting to see what they come up with, or what new laws they pass (I had no idea they shortened the allowed employment gaps in 2014).

Also, I've always planned to apply as soon as I was able to.

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:16 am

manomaly wrote:
tmonaghan wrote:I keep wondering whether it is worth applying for PR as the result of Brexit. The future status of those having exercised their Treaty Rights for five years will be ask to apply again for the settled status once the UK leaves the EU. Double the money; double the trouble and anxiety given that at this present time there is no requirement to hold a document to prove your rights to reside and work in the UK. I would keep residing lawfully in the UK until the HO comes out with ways to regularise your status in the UK post Brexit.
True, it could be much simpler to wait until they set up the new process, or it could prove to be more difficult. I work for a company that did a research on the new Universal Credit that the government rolled out on the basis to make things easier - in theory it should have, but in practice it caused many problems with its roll out, apply process, long waiting times. The same could happen with the new EEA PR process, it could prove easier or more difficult to provide evidence for my employment gaps, we just don't know. I'm not waiting to see what they come up with, or what new laws they pass (I had no idea they shortened the allowed employment gaps in 2014).Note: it's not really an employment gap as long as you are self-sufficient. They placed a time limit on jobseeker status and restricted the retained worker status somewhat.

Also, I've always planned to apply as soon as I was able to.
tmonaghan, many EEA(PR) applicants wish to apply for naturalisation and are by law required to have a DCPR for this purpose. Secondly, you are making unwarranted assumptions about the post-Brexit period based on HMG's rather vague proposals. What is clear, however, is that those who have a DCPR will face a smoother transfer to the new "settled status" post-Brexit than first time applicants. We would expect to see this reflected in the level of fees charged. Thirdly, there have been reports of employers (unlawfully) querying EEA nationals' right to reside, and having a DCPR can help allay some of those concerns. Fourthly, for those with kids, a DCPR is invaluable when applying for registration or for a first British passport. Fifthly, there are many applicants who qualify only as extended family members and their right of residence pretty much depends on having residence documentation. Sixthly, EEA(PR) is also used by non-EEA national family members who may naturally feel even less secure in their status. There are probably a myriad other reasons. So there are many eclectic rationales why users of this forum are going through this process, all of them perfectly reasonable.

tmonaghan
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by tmonaghan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:51 am

To Indguru90,
Thirdly, there have been reports of employers (unlawfully) querying EEA nationals' right to reside, and having a DCPR can help allay some of those concerns.
Being British myself does not really affect me as much but above is nothing but a direct discrimination against EU Citizens.

Businesses should be legally challenged if they asked for evidence of lawful residence in the UK given that the HO does not require EU Citizens to hold documentation proving that they have a right to reside and work in the UK.

I would challenge that in an Employment Tribunal if an employer would made it a prerequisite if my EU Husband applied for a job whilst the UK is still a EU Member State...

The essence of EU Law is to protect Citizens Rights when residing lawfully in another EU Member State. Lawfully means among other status, the right to find employment.

Outrageous!!!

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:55 am

tmonaghan wrote:To Indguru90,
Thirdly, there have been reports of employers (unlawfully) querying EEA nationals' right to reside, and having a DCPR can help allay some of those concerns.
Being British myself does not really affect me as much but above is nothing but a direct discrimination against EU Citizens.

Businesses should be legally challenged if they asked for evidence of lawful residence in the UK given that the HO does not require EU Citizens to hold documentation proving that they have a right to reside and work in the UK.

I would challenge that in an Employment Tribunal if an employer would made it a prerequisite if my EU Husband applied for a job whilst the UK is still a EU Member State...

The essence of EU Law is to protect Citizens Rights when residing lawfully in another EU Member State. Lawfully means among other status, the right to find employment.

Outrageous!!!
My initial reaction was the same. However, I understand that in the post-referendum uncertainty, employers were for a while reluctant to offer perm posts to persons who might not be allowed to remain long-term. Challenging a small-scale employer who is in over his/her head with constant changes to immigration regulations in endless tribunal proceedings is not worth it in practice. Now that government thinking on this issue is finally crystallising (more or less), this latent discrimination is hopefully no longer the case. In any event, discrimination against EEA nationals will likely be permissible post-Brexit, unless one is settled.