ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hellothere19
United Kingdom

Re: Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

Post by hellothere19 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:45 am

Hello everyone
I'm about to apply for BC, a couple of qui est ion re the AN form

* I'm an EEA citizen, 1.1 asks for référence nr in immigrations applications. Is that the PR card numb, or do I leave this blank?

* 1.3. Date I was given indefinite leave and refers to pages 10/11 of booklet. I have my pr but only has an issue date of 25//16. Do I leave this blank?

* Re employment , i have been here since 2001 in full employment which was shown in my pr application. I don't think I have to take all payslips p60 etc with me to the ncs appointment

Of course I'll take proof of employment of the last year after I got my PR status, plus my employment contract and latest p60 together with some untility bills and council tax docs
My employer will write a letter too

* Re absences: do I need to fill these in on that provided grid? My handwriting is kinda large and I printed a separate doc applying for my PR status which is more clear than using their pages?

Sorry I've these have been asked before. I've tried to scroll back in time, but there are so many posts :oops:
Dual national since Jan 2018 :) Belgian and British

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:04 pm

hellothere19 wrote:Hello everyone

* I'm an EEA citizen, 1.1 asks for référence nr in immigrations applications. Is that the PR card numb, or do I leave this blank? Your PR card number is requested at 2.4. For 1.1., give the "Case ID" or "Your Ref" number given on the letter that accompanied your PR card and stated the date on which you acquired PR under the EEA regulations.

* 1.3. Date I was given indefinite leave and refers to pages 10/11 of booklet. I have my pr but only has an issue date of 25//16. Do I leave this blank?Leave blank.

* Re employment , i have been here since 2001 in full employment which was shown in my pr application. I don't think I have to take all payslips p60 etc with me to the ncs appointment No need to take all this to the NCS, though you still need to complete the table at 1.50 with your 10-year employment history.

As set out in previous posts, many NCS websites have not been updated to reflect the post-November 2015 position whereby EEA nationals have to submit a DCPR/PR card with their application. As this is now mandatory, much of the documentation listed (e.g. bank statements, payslips, evidence of sickness insurance), which was relevant for Treaty rights, is no longer required for AN applications.

You will, however, need to provide evidence of physical presence in the UK during the preceding 5 years, ideally in the form of (a) letter(s) from your employer(s) confirming dates of employment (and preferably dates of annual leave). This is not to show exercice of Treaty rights but merely physical presence for the purposes of the British Nationality Act.

Of course I'll take proof of employment of the last year after I got my PR status, plus my employment contract and latest p60 together with some untility bills and council tax docs
My employer will write a letter too As per the above - letter only required as proof of physical presence, your employment status is irrelevant for citizenship applications. You can bring your other docs like P60 to the NCS appointment but they are not required.

* Re absences: do I need to fill these in on that provided grid? My handwriting is kinda large and I printed a separate doc applying for my PR status which is more clear than using their pages? Many applicants prefer an Excel spread sheet or something of the sort. Simply write "see separate sheet" or something to that effect at the top of p.11, should be ok.

Sorry I've these have been asked before. I've tried to scroll back in time, but there are so many posts :oops: Bonne chance.

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:11 pm

dontringthebell wrote:Indguru90 - Thanks for your thoughtful insights and encouraging advice. Just can't express in words how invaluable these posts on this forum are for me and everyone else on this journey. Lot of struggle, strife and life written across this board with a lot of hope conquering despair.
Over the last 10 years dealing with UKBA/UKVI, one thing that i learnt is - their processes are pretty mathematical in nature, from the first time applying for HSMP back in 2008 to today, Its always been balancing one side of equation to another. Its like you give them what they want and you get in return what you want. This is the first time, that equation looked a little less balanced and hence the jitters, concern, etc etc. I have always made all my applications on my own with ease and water tight. Hopefully with the comments/advice/guidance you have given and my research I feel I will be balancing that equation pretty well.

I requested all data prior to FY 2013-14, They sent me one page documents detailing my tax calculations for FY 2013-14, 2012-13 right away, however, the data prior to that can only be requested in writing and HMRC guidelines suggest it could take unto 40 days/working days for them to respond. Yup, sounds like an DPA subject access request.
Also, I have full employment data (dates, figures, etc) with me on a personal file that I maintain, however, the evidence to prove support was missing. Going by your advice, I understand I don't need to provide the evidence rather only the information and can explain the circumstances if further asked. Yes, that is correct. You don't need to send in physical evidence of employment.
Finally would it be correct to summarise our discussion as follows:
1.50 Employment history in UK during past 10 years, or since date of entry if you have been here for less than 10 years. Provide all 10 years information with further additional explanation and as much documentation. That seems to contradict what you say above about not providing physical evidence? I would suggest take the docs relating to your employment to your NCS appointment and see what the advisor says.
1. Should I use the second entry date as the answer and hence provide the work experience details from that time? NO
2. Would being unemployed for last five years affect my application in any adverse way? NO
3. My passport expired in 2017 Feb, would that be an issue? NO
4. What evidence do I need to provide for my stay in UK ( most important for time since expiry of passport technically such alternative evidence is only required from the date of expiry of your passport, not for before). HMRC letters, council tax letters, tenancy renewal agreement, bills & uncanceled passport and BRP with declaration.
5. In 1.2 should I leave blank and state seperately my passport expired ? mention in brackets underneath.
6. Everything is same for my wife except that she has been on constant employment from Oct 2010 & carries valid Indian passport. No issues Yes, that all sounds good. :)

Finally thanks once again, would like to thank others who did not respond to me directly but have learned a lot by reading there posts. I will update how this goes and contribute as much as I can. This board is unparalleled in its resourcefulness and blessing to those with tight pockets (basically every immigrant).

hellothere19
United Kingdom

Post by hellothere19 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:40 pm

Indguru90 wrote:
hellothere19 wrote:Hello everyone

* I'm an EEA citizen, 1.1 asks for référence nr in immigrations applications. Is that the PR card numb, or do I leave this blank? Your PR card number is requested at 2.4. For 1.1., give the "Case ID" or "Your Ref" number given on the letter that accompanied your PR card and stated the date on which you acquired PR under the EEA regulations.

I don''t have the date when I became permanent resident, I applied before Nov 2016 and these dates were at the time not cinfirmed on the paperwork. Will all ncs check this at timevofvapplication ? As I have my PR for 5 yrs plus the extra year, does the date of PR really matter, or do I need to request a SAR?

Date I was given indefinite leave and refers to pages 10/11 of booklet. I have my pr but only has an issue date of 25/7/16. Do I leave this blank?Leave blank.

Sorry I've these have been asked before. I've tried to scroll back in time, but there are so many posts :oops: Bonne chance.
Merci !

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:51 pm

hellothere19 wrote: I don''t have the date when I became permanent resident, I applied before Nov 2016 and these dates were at the time not cinfirmed on the paperwork. Will all ncs check this at timevofvapplication ? As I have my PR for 5 yrs plus the extra year, does the date of PR really matter, or do I need to request a SAR?
Yes, if you applied pre-2017 you wouldn't have been told your PR date, that is correct. No need for an SAR, as (1) if you've had your DCPR for 1 year+ you will by definition have been free from immigration time restrictions for more than one year, and (2) yes, the NCS always checks with the Home Office when the applicant became a PR (they have a dedicated phone line for this).

milspectees
United States of America

Post by milspectees » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:11 pm

Indguru90 wrote:
hellothere19 wrote: I don''t have the date when I became permanent resident, I applied before Nov 2016 and these dates were at the time not cinfirmed on the paperwork. Will all ncs check this at timevofvapplication ? As I have my PR for 5 yrs plus the extra year, does the date of PR really matter, or do I need to request a SAR?
Yes, if you applied pre-2017 you wouldn't have been told your PR date, that is correct. No need for an SAR, as (1) if you've had your DCPR for 1 year+ you will by definition have been free from immigration time restrictions for more than one year, and (2) yes, the NCS always checks with the Home Office when the applicant became a PR (they have a dedicated phone line for this).
Not quite true. My wife and stepson applied for DCPR in August 2016, received the cards in November 2016. With the cards came letters stating that they were deemed to have been permanently resident since January 2015

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:59 pm

milspectees wrote:
Indguru90 wrote:
Not quite true. My wife and stepson applied for DCPR in August 2016, received the cards in November 2016. With the cards came letters stating that they were deemed to have been permanently resident since January 2015
You are of course right milspectees, to be pedantic the policy change regarding stating the deemed PR date in the cover letter was implemented from 7/11/2016.

hellothere19
United Kingdom

Post by hellothere19 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:22 pm

Indguru90 wrote:
Thank you. I thought so, but it's better to get some reassurances :D

hellothere19
United Kingdom

Post by hellothere19 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Agr!
I just realised the English test is only valid for 2 years?
I did my test at trinity college Hammersmith just over 2 years ago, i will need book a test again and fork out another £150
My mistake I know! I should have applied for PR (EEA) first before doIng the test.

milspectees
United States of America

Post by milspectees » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:16 pm

hellothere19 wrote:Agr!
I just realised the English test is only valid for 2 years?
I did my test at trinity college Hammersmith just over 2 years ago, i will need book a test again and fork out another £150
My mistake I know! I should have applied for PR (EEA) first before doIng the test.
Well at least you don't have to do the life in the UK test again, there's no expiry date on that.

hellothere19
United Kingdom

Post by hellothere19 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:28 pm

With regards to the absent days

I already made a summary for my PR card as EEA national in 2016, and will add the days I was out the past 12 months.
However trawling through my records I found 2 short trips in 2014 (4days) that I forgot to add to my application for my PR last year. I don't think it will be a problem when I add these now? Will they check and compare the absent days from my PR application and my BC application, and would the HO make a problem of this discrepancy?

TIA

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:24 pm

hellothere19 wrote:With regards to the absent days

I already made a summary for my PR card as EEA national in 2016, and will add the days I was out the past 12 months.
However trawling through my records I found 2 short trips in 2014 (4days) that I forgot to add to my application for my PR last year. I don't think it will be a problem when I add these now? Will they check and compare the absent days from my PR application and my BC application, and would the HO make a problem of this discrepancy?

TIA
No, shouldn't be a problem. Caseworkers don't normally access previous paper files, only the info on the CID database (which for EEA applications does not include days absent). In any event, this was a (pretty common) genuine error that would in no way affect your eligibility for PR (unless those extra four days took your absences to more than 6 months in any one year). You should declare the additional absences on form AN because of the importance of physical residence in naturalisation cases.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dontringthebell » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:05 pm

Once again thanks Indguru90 for all the advice, lets see how it goes.

hellothere19
United Kingdom

Post by hellothere19 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:51 am

Indguru90 wrote:

TIA
No, shouldn't be a problem. Caseworkers don't normally access previous paper files, only the info on the CID database (which for EEA applications does not include days absent). In any event, this was a (pretty common) genuine error that would in no way affect your eligibility for PR (unless those extra four days took your absences to more than 6 months in any one year). You should declare the additional absences on form AN because of the importance of physical residence in naturalisation cases.

Thanks, no worries re total absent days, I'm well beyond the threshold! :)

robtek
Newly Registered

Post by robtek » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:55 pm

Indguru90 wrote:
robtek wrote:
Do I need to provide all employment evidence since I came to UK (7 years) as per guidelines:

You must provide details of all your National Insurance contributions made for your current and previous employment during the past 10 years. To support this claim evidence can be in the form of payslips, P60s covering the relevant period, or a letter(s) from the employer(s) confirming you have worked for them, from the start and finish date.
I heard that NCS take only last 5 years of proof employment and not interested for the period above 5 years.
No. Evidence of employment is required neither for 7 years nor for the 5-year Qualifying Period itself. However, evidence of employment CAN be used to evidence physical presence in the UK. See explanation below:

The guidelines you're mentioning are paras.1.48-1.50 of Guide AN. This documentary evidence has not ben required in years (but has survived occasional revisions of Guide AN). UKVI have a long-standing data sharing agreement with HMRC that allows the former to access data held by the latter, and you give your consent to this data sharing when signing the naturalisation application. So UKVI will not need to see actual evidence of NI contributions.

Many NCS websites have not been updated to the post-November 2015 position. You may see occasional references to P60s, payslips, bank statements, utility bills and the like. Such documents were required for EEA national applicants who did not have a DCPR, and who had to prove as part of the naturalisation process itself that they were free from immigration time restrictions. As you know, this became obsolete in November 2015 when the DCPR/PR card became mandatory.

The only documentation required for an EEA national is: current passport/ID card, DCPR, LiTUK and language, and evidence of 5 years' physical residence. In the first place, what UKVI prefer to see as evidence of residence is letters from your employers confirming your NINO and dates of employment (and details of annual leave would be helpful but are not required); alternatively, letters from schools/unis or government departments (other than the Home Office) indicating presence in the UK. It is only in cases such letters cannot be procured that alternative evidence such as P60s, utility bills, council tax statements etc. should be considered. There is of course no harm in bringing all your documents to the NCS appointment (if you choose to make an NCS appointment).
What date should I provide in view to staying in the UK on a long term basis?
I came to UK 25th of July 2010 for holiday and decided to stay in August 2010 therefore 1st job started in 20th of August.

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:29 pm

robtek wrote:
What date should I provide in view to staying in the UK on a long term basis?
I came to UK 25th of July 2010 for holiday and decided to stay in August 2010 therefore 1st job started in 20th of August.
The relevant date is 25/07/2010. Even if you did not at that point have an intention to stay long term, it is on the basis of this stay that you acquired an extended right of residence by subsequently deciding to exercise Treaty rights.

mahasam

Post by mahasam » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:00 pm

Indguru90 wrote:

TIA
Hi Idnguru90,

Thank you for your pieces of advice, you really put my (and I think everybody else minds at peace!) :).

Actually, I wanted to ask the same thing about the same thing about the time spent abroad but you did already.

Could you please advise if a person with AAT level 4 diploma and a member of the AAT, who is volunteering as an accountant(not sure if she gets paid, because she is a part-timer at some charity) satisfies the requirement of a 1st referee (specific profession etc)?

Thank you!

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:25 pm

mahasam wrote:Hi Idnguru90,

Thank you for your pieces of advice, you really put my (and I think everybody else minds at peace!) :).

Actually, I wanted to ask the same thing about the same thing about the time spent abroad but you did already.

Could you please advise if a person with AAT level 4 diploma and a member of the AAT, who is volunteering as an accountant(not sure if she gets paid, because she is a part-timer at some charity) satisfies the requirement of a 1st referee (specific profession etc)?

Thank you!
You're welcome. As I understand it, an AATL4 is not a full accountant (yet) and thus not on the list of professions in Annex A to Chapter 6 of the former Nationality Instructions. That list was never exhaustive, ultimately the test is whether the HO at its discretion would recognise your referee as a professional.

First of all, you should clarify whether for the purposes of her work, the referee is entitled to call herself an "accountant". If she is, you can safely use her as a referee. If she is not, you can still apply and it is not unlikely that she will be accepted as a referee. If she is not, the HO will ask you to find an alternative. If you want to play it safe, find a doctor, nurse, lawyer, MP, councillor, accountant... to sign off on your application.

mahasam

Post by mahasam » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:25 pm

Indguru90 wrote:
mahasam wrote:Hi Idnguru90,

Thank you!
You're welcome. As I understand it, an AATL4 is not a full accountant (yet) and thus not on the list of professions in Annex A to Chapter 6 of the former Nationality Instructions. That list was never exhaustive, ultimately the test is whether the HO at its discretion would recognise your referee as a professional.

First of all, you should clarify whether for the purposes of her work, the referee is entitled to call herself an "accountant". If she is, you can safely use her as a referee. If she is not, you can still apply and it is not unlikely that she will be accepted as a referee. If she is not, the HO will ask you to find an alternative. If you want to play it safe, find a doctor, nurse, lawyer, MP, councillor, accountant... to sign off on your application.
Thank you.

It was almost 4 months for me since I've submitted the application, is there a correlation when HO is trying to get more information and the time period since the application was submitted? What I mean is - normally questions appear on the initial stage or they can request any type of information even now?

P.s do referees require to say how many years they know the applicant? One referee stated how long we know each other, other did not.

Thanks!

mahasam

Post by mahasam » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Indguru90 wrote:

TIA
What about if the absence days were put in error, I've just found out that it seems I didn't go on holiday (according to my bank statements for that period) but I was basing my conclusions on the dates pictures were taken in 2012, they had dates as names i.e. 01012012_083041 (last part is time).

Thank you!

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:24 pm

mahasam wrote:
What about if the absence days were put in error, I've just found out that it seems I didn't go on holiday (according to my bank statements for that period) but I was basing my conclusions on the dates pictures were taken in 2012, they had dates as names i.e. 01012012_083041 (last part is time).

Thank you!
Note down your absences as you can retrace them now.

Since there are some differences between your list of absences on the EEA(PR) form (some additional, some missing as in your case) and your actual absences as you can retrace them now, if you want some peace of mind simply write a sentence on page 22 of form AN, stating that you have slightly amended your absences. I wouldn't trouble myself with this issue too much if your total number of absences is well below 450 days during the 5-year QP.

(Also, for those having trouble reconstructing their travel history, an SAR request for entry/exit data including eBorders and advance passenger information data may be made to the Border Force.)

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:33 pm

mahasam wrote:
Thank you.

It was almost 4 months for me since I've submitted the application, is there a correlation when HO is trying to get more information and the time period since the application was submitted? What I mean is - normally questions appear on the initial stage or they can request any type of information even now?

P.s do referees require to say how many years they know the applicant? One referee stated how long we know each other, other did not.

Thanks!
The fact that your application has been outstanding for four months seems to be in line with current (significantly elevated) processing times - check relevant threads on this forum. This is not an indication that something is wrong with your application. The HO is simply quite busy at the moment, plus it's summer.

Questions can arise at the initial stage when ID Ops or the Data Processing Team review the application, create the case file and initiate the initial checks (PNC, bankruptcy etc.). In a small number of cases, random checks on referees are also initiated at this stage. This initial review can flag up a number of errors, such as missing documentation/information. However, more detailed issues such as absences or referee qualifications will not normally be raised at this stage.

Your application then gets allocated to a caseworking team awaiting consideration. It is primarily at the point of consideration that any issues with the referee would come to light. Your referee should have stated how long he has known you, but failure to do so is likely to be waived (and in any event, referees can be contacted where information is missing). Cases of problems with referees are rare.

Keep checking your application status regularly at https://contact-ukvi.homeoffice.gov.uk/ ... visastatus.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dontringthebell » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:39 pm

Indguru90 please clarify.

I got my appointment however, the NCS lady completely confused me while explaining me what would happen on the day of the appointment.

I understand that they would photocopy my BRP and return it back on the day of the appointment. hence, kindly confirm if following are the correct answers to the questions.

6.7 Yes
6.11 No

mfreidin

Past 5 years addresses in AN

Post by mfreidin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:15 pm

Possibly asked many times, but cannot find straight away.

I lived in my current address for more than 5 years. Actually, I say this in 1.16 (From .....).

Do I need to reply to 1.17 then (your addresses for the past 5 years)?
I can fill in a From date, but there is no To date as I am still living in the same place.

Please can anybody help?

Thanks.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Past 5 years addresses in AN

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:36 pm

mfreidin wrote:Possibly asked many times, but cannot find straight away.

I lived in my current address for more than 5 years. Actually, I say this in 1.16 (From .....).

Do I need to reply to 1.17 then (your addresses for the past 5 years)?
I can fill in a From date, but there is no To date as I am still living in the same place.

Please can anybody help?

Thanks.
Same for my application - just fill in 1.16, ignore 1.17 - no issue.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.