ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unclear about language requirement and evidence - UK degree

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

minimalistic
Newly Registered

Unclear about language requirement and evidence - UK degree

Post by minimalistic » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:11 am

Hallo All

I'm an EEA national who has lived in the UK for 32 years. I am finally applying for British citizenship but am unclear what to send to prove knowledge of language.

During my time in th UK I have gained a B.Eng.(Hons), M.Sc., and a Ph.D. all at UK Universities. Do I still have to get these confirmed with UK NARIC eventhough they were all obtained from UK Universities, or is it sufficient to just send in the degree certificates with the application ?

The reason why I am asking is that the AN form states

I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised
standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
i. UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or
ii. the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country
(other than Canada);

As they are UK degrees they should meet the UK NARIC standard. I think that just sending the certificates should be sufficient and I assume there is no time limit on when the degrees were obtained (B.Eng.(Hons) - 1993, M.Sc. - 1996, Ph.D - 2003) ?

Any help would be appreciated.

tallahassee

Re: Unclear about language requirement and evidence - UK deg

Post by tallahassee » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:17 am

Hi,

I was unclear about this too, but having researched this on here I am pretty certain you just need to send them one of your UK degree certificates and that should do it.

I have a related question that someone may be able to answer:

I also have a UK university degree and I am presented with the following options when trying to book my NCS appointment:
From 28 October 2013, unless they are exempt, all applicants for settlement or naturalisation as a British citizen will need to meet the knowledge of language and life requirement by:

having a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or its equivalent.
Have you passed the:

Life in the UK Test & English at B1 CEFR or higher*
Life in the UK Test & from an exempt country**

* A guide of acceptable qualifications is provided on the Home Office website.
** You must check this in the guidance notes provide by the Home Office.
Would anyone know whether having a UK university degree falls under English at B1 CEFR or higher or under from an exempt country

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:04 am

One UK degree from a recognised institution is sufficient - this exempts from B1 requirement. No NARIC implications.

Tick this:
ii. the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:50 pm

tallahassee wrote:Hi,

I was unclear about this too, but having researched this on here I am pretty certain you just need to send them one of your UK degree certificates and that should do it.

I have a related question that someone may be able to answer:

I also have a UK university degree and I am presented with the following options when trying to book my NCS appointment:
From 28 October 2013, unless they are exempt, all applicants for settlement or naturalisation as a British citizen will need to meet the knowledge of language and life requirement by:

having a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or its equivalent.
Have you passed the:

Life in the UK Test & English at B1 CEFR or higher*
Life in the UK Test & from an exempt country**

* A guide of acceptable qualifications is provided on the Home Office website.
** You must check this in the guidance notes provide by the Home Office.
Would anyone know whether having a UK university degree falls under English at B1 CEFR or higher or under from an exempt country. You are not from an exempt majority-English speaking country (I assume).

Thanks
For the NCS appointment booking, choose "Life in the UK Test & English at B1 CEFR or higher". For the application form, as per alterhase58.