ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extended Family/ Partner Visa. Are we eligible?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ciliael
Newly Registered

Extended Family/ Partner Visa. Are we eligible?

Post by Ciliael » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:18 pm

Hello,
I am an EU citizen and lived in the UK for 4 years now (studying and currently working). My partner is a non EU citizen who also studied in UK. We were living together since 2015 (2 years) and this summer he had to return to his country for mandatory conscription. I am aware of the financial requirement and we are able to cover it. My questions are:

1) Can we apply for an extended family member visa next summer when he completes his conscription? We did not have any bills in joint names, but we had a joint bank account. There are also bank statements with individual names sent at the same address. Also, do we qualify since we are doing one year long distance?

2) I will apply for my permanent residency certificate next summer (5th year in the UK). Do I need to be a permanent resident first and then be able to sponsor my partner or is it ok to apply at the same time (as I previously mentioned I am EU citizen).

Thank you.

piyachanbocsa
Newly Registered

Re: Extended Family/ Partner Visa. Are we eligible?

Post by piyachanbocsa » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:51 am

Ciliael wrote:Hello,
I am an EU citizen and lived in the UK for 4 years now (studying and currently working). My partner is a non EU citizen who also studied in UK. We were living together since 2015 (2 years) and this summer he had to return to his country for mandatory conscription. I am aware of the financial requirement and we are able to cover it. My questions are:

1) Can we apply for an extended family member visa next summer when he completes his conscription? We did not have any bills in joint names, but we had a joint bank account. There are also bank statements with individual names sent at the same address. Also, do we qualify since we are doing one year long distance?

2) I will apply for my permanent residency certificate next summer (5th year in the UK). Do I need to be a permanent resident first and then be able to sponsor my partner or is it ok to apply at the same time (as I previously mentioned I am EU citizen).

Thank you.
Hi Ciliael,

1) Yes. My recommendation would be to apply for an EEA Family Member permit from outside the UK. This has a 6 months validity. Once in the country (and before the Family Pemit expires) he can use the EEA (EFM) form to apply for a 5 year Residence Card.

2) You don't need to have permanent residency. You can apply at the same time as he does.

Just make sure that with each application you submit evidence of a durable relationship (i.e. chats, photos, family photos, etc). I would also recommend writing a supporting letter explaining your circumstance and sending it with the application form.

I am in the UK on an EEA Family Member permit right now and my Residence Card application is currently under consideration. Similar circumstances to yours.