ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Permit: Do I need to enter the UK with my spouse?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nordsee
Germany

EEA Family Permit: Do I need to enter the UK with my spouse?

Post by nordsee » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi everybody,

is it required to enter the country together? I will come to the UK a few days earlier in order to sort out living etc and my non EU spouse would join after that. Moreover, I'm currently in Germany making family visits and my spouse is in China finishing her job.

Can I pick her up at the airport?

What if entrance clearing is done in London, but her final destination is Edinburgh?

Thanks in advance

Nordsee

piyachanbocsa
Newly Registered

Re: EEA Family Permit: Do I need to enter the UK with my spo

Post by piyachanbocsa » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:59 am

nordsee wrote:Hi everybody,

is it required to enter the country together? I will come to the UK a few days earlier in order to sort out living etc and my non EU spouse would join after that. Moreover, I'm currently in Germany making family visits and my spouse is in China finishing her job.

Can I pick her up at the airport?

What if entrance clearing is done in London, but her final destination is Edinburgh?

Thanks in advance

Nordsee
I'm speaking from personal experience having joined my partner earlier this year (he was already in the UK). If she has the EEA Family Permit sticker in her passport already there shouldn't be any problems with her joining you later. Waiting for her at the final destination is reasonable.

nordsee
Germany

Post by nordsee » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:40 am

Thank you very much, piyachanbocsa.

Does someone know where I could find official information since it says "need to travel together"?

EDIT:

I have just found this

"If the family member is not travelling with the EEA national or will not be joining them in the UK, they will not qualify for an EEA family permit and would need to apply for entry clearance under the Immigration Rules and pay the relevant fee if they want to come to the UK."

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ily-permit

So all fine then?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:54 am

All fine.
11(4) wrote: (b) a family member of an EEA national with a right to accompany that EEA national or join that EEA national in the United Kingdom;
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

nordsee
Germany

Post by nordsee » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:09 am

vinny wrote:All fine.
11(4) wrote: (b) a family member of an EEA national with a right to accompany that EEA national or join that EEA national in the United Kingdom;
Great. Thanks, Vinnie.

I just wanted to make sure, as I'm not a UK resident at the moment and will just move there a week or so before my wife does.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:21 pm

13 also applies to both.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ElizabethApricot

Post by ElizabethApricot » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:24 pm

Speaking from personal experience, there shouldn't be a problem. I (non-EEA) joined my EEA husband in December with an EEA Family Permit. He couldn't get the day off to meet me at Gatwick. I explained this to the officer and she was fine with it.