ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Tier 2(General) to ILR with dependants

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

agoel
Newly Registered

Switching from Tier 2(General) to ILR with dependants

Post by agoel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi all,

I will be eligible for ILR in Jan 2018 completing 5 year period while my wife who joined me post 2012 won't be eligible to. She will have her Tier 2 dependant visa valid until the end of 2019 and will be eligible for ILR in April 2019. We also have a child who is born here. Therefore my questions are:

1. Can my wife continue to be on Tier 2 dependent visa without applying for ILR dependant when I apply for ILR?
2. Can my son continue to be on Tier 2 dependent visa without applying for ILR dependant when I switch or he will be eligible for british passport?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Switching from Tier 2(General) to ILR with dependants

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:17 pm

1. Can my wife continue to be on Tier 2 dependent visa without applying for ILR dependant when I apply for ILR?
Yes she can continue on her existing visa.
2. Can my son continue to be on Tier 2 dependent visa without applying for ILR dependant when I switch or he will be eligible for british passport?
Yes but once you are granted ILR, you can apply to register him on form MN1 as British (different to a passport application as he is not yet British).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

agoel
Newly Registered

Post by agoel » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:33 pm

Thanks for your response, that is very helpful.

agoel
Newly Registered

Post by agoel » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:05 pm

I have more query. If dependants continue to be on Tier 2 dependant visa and I acquire ILR status.

Can the dependants travel outside UK for holidays etc. or they should wait until ILR is granted?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:43 pm

Can the dependants travel outside UK for holidays etc.
Yes they can.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

agoel
Newly Registered

Post by agoel » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:53 pm

Thank you for your prompt response ! Many thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:56 pm

Below is a useful link with links to the rules regarding PBS dependents of ILR holders who were previously main PBS visa holders.

immigration-for-family-members/dependan ... 14832.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)

agoel
Newly Registered

Post by agoel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:31 pm

I have final question related to this. My wife and son are planning to go to India for about 4 months. This is on top of 1.5 months spent this year. My wife ILR dependent will be due in April. Do you see that as problem?

I understand 180 days rule doesn't apply to them but longer period of absences will cause a problem?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:19 pm

There is no absence limit for PBS Dependents. They must return before the visas expire if they plan to extend the PBS dependent visas.

You keep saying 'ILR Dependent'. Are you planning on switching them to FLR(M) spouse visa?? If yes, why??
Char (CR001 not Casa)

agoel
Newly Registered

Post by agoel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:41 pm

Firstly I can't thank you enough for your prompt responses and helping me out. :D

Sorry No I meant Tier 2 dependant only. I will acquire ILR so referring them a ILR dependant which is incorrect I now understand.

My dependants (wife and son) will have enough validity and do not require any extension. I am only concerned that when my wife applies for ILR after having months away from UK, will they see that as negative especially when it is like 90 days away before application date for example? Do I need to keep communicating with her and keep some sort of evidence. We will have enough documentation for 2 years (not preceding the application).