ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Russian citizen, British passport, visiting France

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Annabelle1
Newly Registered

Russian daughter British passport - problem?

Post by Annabelle1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi. My partner's daughter holds a British passport as he is British and her mum is Russian. Daughter would like to come to France to stay with her father and no doubt visit the UK also but has been told she may be refused entry on arrival (something to do with brexit?) This doesn't sound right but has not been tested out. Can anybody shed any light on any potential problems? Thx in advance, Annabelle

Annabelle1
Newly Registered

Re: Russian daughter British passport - problem?

Post by Annabelle1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:09 pm

Sorry, i should have mentioned that daughter is 20 years old and has recently been to Spain with no issues. Thx

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:13 pm

She is free to travel to France or to the UK. The UK is still part of the EU so don't believe everything you 'hear'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Annabelle1
Newly Registered

Post by Annabelle1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Thanks, yes i know there should be no issue when she arrives at Paris but apparently it was the Russian customs people that told her next time she would need a visa as UK is no longer in the EU. This was when she flew to Spain. Presumably, the Russian authorities can't disallow her onto the flight if they are misinformed? Am i right in saying?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:18 pm

They are incorrect. UK is still in the EU and a British passport holder is free to travel anywhere in Europe without a visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

milspectees
United States of America

Post by milspectees » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:53 pm

Don't listen to Russian immigration or Border Police, they do not have a clue what they are talking about. A British passport holder has the right to enter, live and work in any of the other 27 EU countries WITHOUT RESTRICTION. Nothing will happen with regard to freedom of movement for British passport holders until at least the 29 March 2019 and probably nothing will change much after that.

Annabelle1
Newly Registered

Russian citizen, British passport, visiting France

Post by Annabelle1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:50 am

Hi all. My partner's daughter (20years old) wants to come and visit her British father who lives in France. She lives in Russia with mum and has both Russian and British passports. Mum wants dad to book the flight to Paris using the Russian passport details, she is adamant but dad thinks it's better to book with the British. Mum will not budge on this as she says this is what the Russian end will require? Can anyone help us with this and what the outcomes are likely to be for either? Not sure if this is the right place to post so if it's moved, please let me know where to. Thx , ,

vinny

Re: Russian citizen, British passport, visiting France

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Just show both passports at check-in.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Annabelle1
Newly Registered

Post by Annabelle1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:31 pm

Thanks Vinny, so you think it will be ok to use the Russian passport for booking the flight with no visa?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm guessing that the airline would check her eligibility to enter the EU or Russia when she's checking in.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:39 pm

If she leaves Russia using her British passport they'd expect to see a Russian visa in it.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Annabelle1
Newly Registered

Post by Annabelle1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:02 pm

Ah i see wanderer , is that because they'd want to know how she came to be in Russia in the first place?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:24 pm

Annabelle1 wrote:Ah i see wanderer , is that because they'd want to know how she came to be in Russia in the first place?
Yeah, my Russian partner enters and leaves Russia on her Russian passport, because of course if she was using her UK one sh'ed need a visa and with all the faffing about that that entails, my last one (a business one) must have cost me £1000 with a trip to London for fingerprinting etc and courier for this and that.

Not going again!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....