ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

For those who need IELTS

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ajay Kumar Singh

For those who need IELTS

Post by Ajay Kumar Singh » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:41 pm

I'm sharing my IELTS experience for those who are unfortunate and don't have piece of paper to prove English language requirement.

1) It is not too difficult.

2) But you need to prepare for it at least 2 weeks before the date of exam

3) Book your exam at least 1.5 months in advance for the decided date otherwise it will be full.

4) Give exam at least 6 months in advance.
In worst case if you fail you will have another chance to give. And if I'm not wrong you can't appear before 3 months of prev exam.

5) There are 4 sections; Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking

6) Listening is the easiest followed by Writing, Speaking and Reading

7) Reading is complete nightmare and better prepare for it

8 ) Listening requires complete attention the accent of language is Simplified Australian even the examples in listening are from Australia.

9) Speaking - The examiner would be complete bored as she/he has to go through a lot more nightmare in understanding others so be clear crisp and to the point.

There are a lot more tips which I can provide if anyone required.

And I've got plenty of material with me even though I didn't get chance to go through any of them. Basically I didn't prepare for it all just glanced thru the structure of exam and one did sample test.

PM me for any material.

shah175

Post by shah175 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:00 pm

Here, i would like to share my experience of IELTS, whether u are a good user of english language u ll have to be prepared as per the format and test material avaiable in British council. I also gave IELTS with little preparation and i found Reading and listening very tough. Speaking and writing was somewhat easy for me. In reading and u have to be very careful about time limitation, there are 40 Q in 3 sections u have to answer from the given paragraps. Dont try to read the whole paragraph, it is better to scan the desired answer in the paragraph. Spend 17 min for section 1, 19 min for section 2 and 24 min for section 3. For listening u have to be very careful, there will be 4 sections, you should write the answer as u listen, if u will try to memorise the words and answer it later u ll definitely lose the concentration and u ll be panic and ultimately u ll lose the whole session. Writing is somewhat easy as u have 1 hour to write 1 formal application or letter of 150 words and 1 essay of 250 words about any social topic. Spend 20 minutes for letter and 40 min for essay writing.

FLO

Post by FLO » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:34 pm

IELTS indeed needs preparation. The time for preparation depends on your natural level of proficiency.
The official practise material is available but the advise is that u don't overpractise. The method is u go thru, prepare more and give urslf some reasonable time to take the practise test again. Practising it over and over does not improve ur band scores. What improves your band score is real study on specific area(s) of deficiences.
There are sites where u can have free study. There are some where u need to pay to do online study. To get the websites just type words like"Free IELTS practise/preparation" in goggle. Filter results to what u need.
I did academic IELTS on 16th Feb with little or no prearation and I have learnt my lessons. Got enough band score for immigration purposes but not enough for academics. Hope to do it again at a latter time.
I wish all of u best of lucks.
Cheers.