ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can EU resident card holders visit the UK?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Noz03
European Union

Can EU resident card holders visit the UK?

Post by Noz03 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:12 am

Wasn't sure if this was a Europe question or UK question, but anyway...

I am a British citizen, my wife is Turkish and we both live in Germany so she has a EU family member residence permit. I know that the freedom of movement doesn't apply to my own country, but as an EU residence card holder is she allowed to visit the UK for a short trip without applying for any visa in advance?

Or if not, what can we do?

The consulate in Germany is absolutely impossible to reach, and don't accept visa applications but I am worried we will have trouble at the airport.

Other info:
She has never been to the UK, and was rejected for tourist visa one time 7 years ago before we were married.
She is employed and studying a master course at a major uni in Berlin.
We would have a return flight to the UK, probably around 5-7 days. And staying with friends/family members while there.

Tamandua

Re: Can EU resident card holders visit the UK?

Post by Tamandua » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:14 am

I think so. Your wife can use her residence card under article 10 of the Freedom of Movement Directive as long as you travel together. Google 'article 10 residence card' and check if that applies to her.

mayyash
Newly Registered

Post by mayyash » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi

what about the other way around?

I am a citizen of Finland, residing in the UK for 6 years now, my wife is non-EEA and recently acquired PR card (that has the sentence: EEA family member). Can she travel to Finland with me without a visa? It is going to be a short visit.

extending this question, can she visit other EU states with me without a visa?

She only has PR card issued by UK. The EEA family permit (the 5 years stamp on passport) has expired

mayyash
Newly Registered

Post by mayyash » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:16 pm

mayyash wrote:Hi

I am a citizen of Finland, residing in the UK for 6 years now, my wife is non-EEA and recently acquired PR card (that has the sentence: EEA family member). Can she travel to Finland with me without a visa? It is going to be a short visit.

She only has PR card issued by UK. The EEA family permit (the 5 years stamp on passport) has expired
looks like the answer cam from Embassy of Finland in the UK:

Visa application exemption for certain Finnish, EU/EEA and Swiss nationals’ family members:
Family members of Finnish, EU/EEA or Swiss nationals holding a valid UK Residence permit as
demonstrated below, do not need a Schengen visa to enter Finland/Schengen Area, only if the following 2
conditions are fulfilled:
1. they’re travelling with/joining the Finnish, EU/EEA or Swiss national’s family member in
Finland/Schengen Area (EU Directive 2004/38/CE)
2. their UK Residence permit literally bears the wording:
c. Residence Card of a Family Member of a Union Citizen (biometrics card)

source: http://www.vfsglobal.com/Finland/UK/pdf ... Family.pdf

Tamandua

Post by Tamandua » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:00 pm

mayyash wrote:Hi

It's actually the same thing. She can go to Finland with her residence card of an EEA family member provided that you travel together.

Noz03
European Union

Post by Noz03 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:35 am

Tamandua wrote:I think so. Your wife can use her residence card under article 10 of the Freedom of Movement Directive as long as you travel together. Google 'article 10 residence card' and check if that applies to her.
Do you mean that she can travel with me as a family member? Because as I am aware, the freedom of movement is for EU citizens (not residents), and as a family member she can travel with me to an EU country but this does not include my home country (ironic I know). So basically it would be up to the UK's local immigration policy. (Or Finland's immigration policy if that is where I was from)

If I was to go to live there with her I know that I would have to go through the spouse visa application, I'm just not sure about travelling. I am hoping that there is something that says EU residents (not citizens) can travel for short periods to the UK but I couldn't find anything about it. Have also tried contacting the embassy without any luck :/