ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English exam for spouse visa extension/renewal

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

john_121
Newly Registered

English exam for spouse visa extension/renewal

Post by john_121 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:29 am

I am slightly confused about which exam my wife needs before I make an application for her visa extension in about 5 weeks time. She arrived in UK in March 2015 and was given a visa until Nov 2017.

Firstly, from reading on the gov.uk website, I have an understanding that she needs an A2 level exam. Is this correct?

Secondly, when she initially applied for her visa, she did use this certificate (which says Level A2 on it). Does this make any difference or can I use this again for extension?

Lastly, if someone can please tell me which form I need to fill out it would be appreciated.

Thanks for helping out.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: English exam for spouse visa extension/renewal

Post by Casa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:30 am

john_121 wrote:I am slightly confused about which exam my wife needs before I make an application for her visa extension in about 5 weeks time. She arrived in UK in March 2015 and was given a visa until Nov 2017.

Firstly, from reading on the gov.uk website, I have an understanding that she needs an A2 level exam. Is this correct? Yes

Secondly, when she initially applied for her visa, she did use this certificate (which says Level A2 on it). Does this make any difference or can I use this again for extension? Has it expired? Is the test still on the UKVI approved list? https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests

Lastly, if someone can please tell me which form I need to fill out it would be appreciated. Form FLR(M)

Thanks for helping out.
In addition to the visa fee your wife will have to pay the £500 NHS (IHS) Surcharge.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

john_121
Newly Registered

Post by john_121 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:42 pm

Casa wrote: In addition to the visa fee your wife will have to pay the £500 NHS (IHS) Surcharge.
On the certificate, there is no expiry date. However looking at the document in the link provided it seems like by default it is valid for 2 years in which case it is expired. Does this mean that she needs to do the exam again? Should I confirm is this is the case by calling HO?

john_121
Newly Registered

Post by john_121 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:15 pm

The centre is not on the approved list anymore, however I found very useful appendix (Appendix_FM_Section_1.21.pdf) on on gov.uk website which states that if the application was made before 6 April 2015 (which applies to my spouse) then the same certificate can be used. I am not 100% sure on this so if someone who has been through this route or can confirm if this is the case then I will appreciate.

Appendix URL:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... n_1.21.pdf